1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Guide to Teamwork

Discussion in 'General Infiltration Discussion' started by bastardb, Feb 16, 2002.

1. bastardb

bastardb New Member

For once this is a sarcasmless post not only aimed at people new to inf but also to rushers they are sick of the way everyone else plays:

Random spawn mutator makes teamwork much much easier... due to the fact some maps have horrible spawns nowhere near the rest of the team

- you should try to hook up some teammates through the chat, because thers no good body gestures in inf as of now

- someone lead, whoever leads needs to have alot of voice bound
    Go, holdup, contact are the most essentail

- the rest should follow him not too closely but be ready to get up beside him to be able to engage his contact at the same time if necessary

- also you must watch the sides and back of the leader. The back is the MOST important spot to watch. Getting shot in the back is sign of very poor teamwork or no teamwork at all.

- watching the back is usualy the most fun.. especialy on non ra servers since people always try to run around back and dont usualy expect it to be guarded, easy kills

- if 2 or more ever get killed very quikcly by one opponent then you need to spread out more, remember its not teamwork that makes you all die.. its lack of proper teamwork that makes you all die

- the leader needs to take it slow enough and MAKE SURE he says go when hes going so those watching the rear dont have to keep looking back to see when you are moivng, this is the number one cause of rear guys getting shot

- everyone besides the leader needs CONTACT and fall back for sure... contact if he sees someone he can get... just to warn the teammates... or fall back if you see two or more so they know you need help

- teamwork is not about playing tough guy, its not about getting all the kills, it is about eleminating all opponents with skill and the help of your teammates thus winning

- if you want to be on the top of the scoreboard dont attempt teamwork the 2 do not go together. If you do try both.. you will most likely be getting in your teammates way or tking him in the back

*sarcasm against rushers*
    this being said... either you all will just ignore all my tips and try to WINWINWIN or some of you will have alot funner games in the remaining days(months?) of 286

On afa teamwork is expected... however evreywhere else it is THE opposite of expected... so id suggest if you want teamwork to put a (T) tag onto the end of your name or something and then it would be much easier to find fellow people who want teamwork

*opinion*
    the way i see it inf is a really boring game without teamwork, i know thers some out there that love it.. or dont even know they love it yet, you need to try it

2. UTProphet

UTProphet Trial By Fire

Actually the worst you can do is get up beside him. If the contact point is around a corner it is your point man's responsibility to get out of harm's way. The point man is not there for assault, but as a spotter. He should step away from the contact area and the team should form an L formation around cover (if no cover, find alternate route) and await imminent contact from enemy. If you are in the wide open when contact is reached, you should form a line obviously... utilizing cover wherever appropriate and possible.

well... if all of you are watching all sides at all times, someone WILL get shot in the back. You need one man for right, one man for left. one man takes point obviously. one (preferably 2) watch behind. very hard in inf with limited teams... but you should at least have point man, one watching left and behind. one watching right and behind.

Absolutely correct. With 2 men awaiting contact, you should try to have them at least 5 meters apart and be able to cover each other. you should try to have their views overlap by at least 80%, never less than 50%.

That's why I think it better to have 2 men watching behind, but not always the case with inf...

Contact should NOT be used if you just see someone. Contact should be used if enemy has opened fire on your (teams) location. This is really the fault of lack of voice commands, but they're on their ways i'm sure :)

TBF takes offense to that :D

For anyone that cares about formations in different situations, or about the roles of different men in the team RLG has some great field manuals and stuff... I haven't checked in a while. There's bound to be something new.

3. bastardb

bastardb New Member

eh... then why didnt you make a guide first

the point man should not just fall back and then someone else engage? that gives way to much time for enemy to react... thepointman needs to engage as soon as he sees enemy, if he dies then someone else snatches up point

ah whatever noones gonna use it anyway

4. UTProphet

UTProphet Trial By Fire

haha. Not laughing at YOU persay but laughing because you are thinking of this as if you are playing a game. in real life you wouldnt simply say "if he dies" as if you would respawn. you want to preserve every man's life. the objective is not just to destroy the enemy (although it looks that way in stupid TDM). the point man isn't there to engage. the point man is a lookout. that's why he stays up to 20 meters ahead of everyone else.

[Edit]Plus! :) You want the enemy to react. The ones walking around the corner have less chance than the ones aiming AT the corner. Especially with 4 guys with 80% overlapping peripheral vision.[/Edit]

5. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

Yep...

Not much more to add from me :D

6. Ishtvan

Ishtvan Because it's cooler than "Steven"

True dat Prophet!

You often end up in situations where you only have two people left or two people near eachother. In this case you have to decide whether the 2nd man watches rear, a flank or covers the pointman moving forward. Which of these options you choose depends on where you think threat is most probable. However, this is almost impossible on publics with only speech binds. It might work but only if you know your teammates well.

For one thing, there is no team leader to decide which option to take so that people know. As pointman, knowing that rear is not covered is better than wondering if the second man is covering rear or a flank or covering your move forward, etc. If you know rear is uncovered, you can conceal yourself from that direction to buy some time. However, as is, there is no speech bind for the second man to let point know what he's doing. You would have to play with a person you know well to know what second man is doing. Text binds may look promising, but it's pretty risky to look up at text instead of at where your weapon is pointing. Also if you look back to see what he's doing, Murphy's law says some AK cowboy will come around the corner and you'll both die. :)

Also, it is hard to form an awareness of the most probable threat direction. "Contact" hardly applies when you're trying to say that 2 minutes ago there was a tango in the direction you're looking, and you can't say "tangos last seen ahead of us." If you type it, odds are you'll get shot.

So if you have a 5 man team together, covering all approaches with public speechbinds might be possible (altho good luck moving together), but when it comes down to tough decisions in a 2 man team the speechbinds don't seem to be enough. I'd have to say that voicecomms are a great aid to teamwork. Whatever happened to the efforts to get public RW channels going like SOB has? I guess there would be some ass who would go to the other team's RW or something.

[​IMG]

7. bastardb

bastardb New Member

yes theres no way to avoid the ass's

ishtvan beleive it or not weve had teamwork in excess of 6 people on afa... most of the time there are a few non regulars that pitch in to

8. Ishtvan

Ishtvan Because it's cooler than "Steven"

I was trying to talk about teamwork with FEWER people being hard without voice comm. I.e., when some people run off alone or after some people have died and you end up in a group of two.

[​IMG]

9. bastardb

bastardb New Member

on a rusher server ive never had more then 3 people including myself .... its tough

we do decent enough
    but ya its hard.. rw would be nice too bad my mic doesnt work for some ass reason