1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Guarding DOM control points....

Discussion in 'Infiltration Development' started by Ak, Jun 29, 2001.

1. Ak

Ak New Member

Well, I've been working on an INF-Specific DOM map,
    (Bringing the total number of INF DOM levels to..umm...five..) And have run into a tiny problem. I've been trying to get the bots to stick around and actually guard the control points after they claim them.

I've been using the inf_ambush spots, but the bots just seem to walk up to them, point, go, "Yep..There it is.." and then wander off. ( I have gotten these spots to work in my spectacularly unsucessfull Inf-DM map however, so I know they do actually work.

My next step would be to use the standard UT ambush or defense spots, but I'd rather not have to go and redo all my guard points if there's going to be no effect. I.E, if INF doesn't even bother with the ambushpoint code in DOM.

Anyway, I'll probably puzzle the damn thing out eventually, but if any of you Forum beings has an easy answer, you could save me an hour or two of work that could be better spent honing my skills, the better to teach my friends the true meaning of "Spicy 9mm full-auto SMG action" at the next LAN.

Later,
    Ak

2. jaymian

jaymian Sweet Merciful Crap!

Well what I've done, and it seems to work great, is place regular UT ambush points. Don't use defense spots, because they seem to be team specific. I placed roughly two ambush points per control point. Don't forget that they are directional, and point them in the direction you want the bots to face. Hope it all works out for ya,
    Jaymian

3. Ak

Ak New Member

Yeah, I actually figured out what was wrong this morning...My level has 4 control points and I was running it with 8 bots ( 4 per team) it seems as though that unless there are more bots per team then C points they won't bother with actually defending anything..I upped the number of bots to 10 and now the "leftover" bot will usually pick a spot and camp nicely. Close enough.

As for the map itself, it's about 98% complete. I just need to finish laying sound and tweaking a few paths, and then it's off to the Realmaps beta test board for community ridicule. Huzzah.

P.S. I assume there is no way at all to get teamstarts working in DOM, is this correct?

Later,
    Ak

4. jaymian

I think I tried to make teams start in specific locations, but it didn't work. So I think it's pretty much random. What I did was have like 3 spawns in a room, and when a round started, I would always start with my teammates in that room. So maybe if you group them together, you shouldn't have any problems with starting next to your enemy. I didn't know you could have more then 3 control points. I wonder if there's a limit? DOM would be way more cool, and realistic, if the INF team would make it have teamstarts, and different control point actors. Like something worth fighting for.
    Jaymian

5. das_ben

das_ben Concerned.

i think you can change the control point actor to any other suitable actor, a missile for example

6. Ak

Ak New Member

As far as I know, there's no limit to the # of Control points you can use...
    (similarly, it's possible to have more than 2 team flags in a CTF level..Think about it... ;)

What my idea is for "simulating" team starts in DOM is there are 16+ individual "spawn rooms" each with 2 portals in it. One for red, and one for blue..I think there's a way to set things up that the teleports can be only activated by a particular team...Anyway, the teleporter in the spawn room would dump you into the start point on the "real" map...
    (Or we could just bitch at the Inf team to make inf-DOM support teamstarts..)

My idea for a teamstart DOM match would be sort of a "take and hold" scenario. One point really close to team A's base, another really close to B team's, and one right in the middle...You would fight to defend control of your "home" point, while trying to take possession of the middle point (since the two points close to the bases cancel each other out, scorewise..)...Or, if you're doing really well, go after the other team's home point....I think it would be a kick ass level. I just need to get the teamstarts working...

Later,
    Ak

7. -Lost-

-Lost- Local Bad-ass

you can make DOM teamstarts. you have to set ownerteam to 'red' and 'blue' i think it's called ownerteam, it's down there somewhere, it's one of the settings that takes a string instead of a number.

8. funkstylz

funkstylz I CLEAN TEH LATRINE

Hmm this is a co-incidence...can't say why ; )

You can change the mesh of a DOM point, you can also remove the thing altogether. Thus you can specify an area as opposed to an object through this method and the collision radius.

As for defence points, did you tell the bots to defend them?

9. Ak

Ak New Member

Yeah..if you set the bSelfdisplayed value on a C-point to false, the little floaty "X" disappears, though the lighting effect remains..(which you can get rid of as well, since C_points have their own lighting values...)

I messed around with invisible control points for a while, but in the end I figured that since it's hard enough to find visible control points when playing a new map, it'd be even worse if you couldn't see them..(Unless you had big signs; "This way to secret Reactor control center.") Changing it into another object would help, I guess.

Somehow I never thought of expanding the radius to cover a larger area.
    *smacks self in head*

Hmmm...So do I now detect the presence of an "official" DOM map in the next map pack?

Later,
    Ak

10. jaymian

Ha, now I want to remake my damn severnaya map, but it's not going to happen. I never thought of making the damn thing invisible. That would be hella cool. You would need an obvious object, or room to place the control points in. Hmmm, like a weapons room, or damn, I don't know, I'm pulling this outta my arse. But it brings a whole new element to DOM for INF, and would make DOM more realistic, and hopefully more popular. But since Funkstylz seems to be holding back some sorta secret information, possibly new gametypes, I think I will hold out mapping til the next version. One of the many downsides to mapping independantly for INF.
    Jaymian

11. funkstylz

What? Did I say something mysterious or something ;)

DOM Control points are hella configurable, so I reccommend having a play with them. If only the spawns worked properly!

12. funkstylz

What? Did I say something mysterious or something ;)

DOM Control points are hella configurable, so I reccommend having a play with them. If only the spawns worked properly!

13. Ak

Ak New Member

Yeah..I think DOM works really well in Inf...Though I wish they had the new Assault code out already.
    (Since the current version of inf-AS consists of a bunch of bots standing around chatting and, oh yeah, if the mood strikes them, maybe going after an objective or two...)

In answer to a (much) earlier question posed by Der Funkenstielenmiester, no I didn't actually tell the bots to defend anything... I like to make sure the bots can do everything by themselves and behave logically within the level..(well, one out of two ain't bad..)
    Since I'm one of the legion of 56k/LAN-only fraggers, bot performance is pretty important.

Later,
    Ak

14. jaymian

I feel bad for anybody who has to rely on INF bots. I can't stand them just for map testing, let alone all the time. They got old way back in the pre 2.85 no online code days. Whew, glad those days are over.
    Jaymian

15. OpFor

OpFor Feeling suicide, thats O.K.

Err, I'm beggining to smell the scent of EAS in the room!;)

16. OpFor

OpFor Feeling suicide, thats O.K.

PS: I deticate ALL my maps to good bot support. I'm still learing bot pathing and the such, but already, I compared to some of the official maps, and they are about the same, if not a bit better.