GSI Warfare

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gamespy:

• Is The Base of Operations For The Anti-Christ (Watch The Omen III, Kids)

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Is A Greater Travesty Than BC3000!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Angers Me To No End.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Has Severely Tested My Patience.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Annoys Me At Times, But Is Over-All Worth The Hassle.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Is Not Good Or Bad, But Lies In A Purgatory of Normality.

• Meets My Standards.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Is Above Average When Compared With Other Gaming Networks.

• Is Very Good.

• I Want To Have Gamespy's Baby.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pathogen

Cat In The Fold
I am not affiliated with [GSI]. Ninja Hamster is not, either. But if you want to participate in a massive fracture of my community, I feel I at least deserve being adequately informed as to why this is happening. Not just by any one person or side, because so far things have been very biased on both sides.

So if you could proactively facilitate this somewhat grueling process, I would appreciate it (That's Dilbert-Boss-Speak for "cooperate please!").

Pathogen

Cat In The Fold
Originally posted by DeeperShade

Er.. ok, i'll field this one.

GSI do not show much appreciation for community...
Take my site and raptors site, god knows how many other sites..

I'll say it one more time. I am not a part of [GSI]. I am not "loyal" to them. I am not their servant. I am not an evil minion of any corporate empire.

You have the nerve to come over here and preach to us about how we're in the wrong? Oh purlease....

When did I ever conclude that you were wrong?

Go home chief... and tell the rest of your clan not to come over here... its causing nothing but headaches....

You are always welcome on our side of the forums so long as you don't abuse the privilege (this is the case for anyone). The fact that we are not welcome here irritates me.

[GSF]Ninja Hamster

the man behind the mask
Nov 4, 2001
www.forumplanet.com

...you have the nerve to come over here and preach to us about how we're in the wrong? Oh purlease....

I did not say you were in the wrong, and that was not my intent to give you that impression. I am simply stating that we may not fully understand one another. Indeed, what happened to your hosted site is terrible. I'd be pissed too. But like any other large corporate entity, GameSpy is not one large omnipotent being. Sometimes the left hand does not know what the right is doing so to speak. I don't know why these things happened to you, I do not know if you have tried to contact those responsible, and I do not know what answer you received if you did. I simply wish to help us understand one another. Maybe even help you get in contact with GameSpy employees. I never intended to tell you that you were wrong, or insult your intelligence. And I apologize if that is what you thought I meant.

Last edited:

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Originally posted by Pathogen

I'll say it one more time. I am not a part of [GSI]. I am not "loyal" to them. I am not their servant. I am not an evil minion of any corporate empire.

You are always welcome on our side of the forums so long as you don't abuse the privilege (this is the case for anyone). The fact that we are not welcome here irritates me.

1.) I never said you were part of GSI.. please direct me to the place where i said you were. In short i didnt, please recheck your facts and try again.

2.) Your tone throughout this entire thread has been one of a defensive and attacking manner... It is quite clear where your opinion lies..

3.) I never claimed you were not welcome i merely said that you should go back to your forums and stop posting in this thread because the way your going is not where you want to be i assure you. GSI is a very touchy subject as a large percentage of these forums have had sour dealings with them... By all means frequent these forums but it is strongly advised that you stay away from these kinds of topics right now... your not helping the wounds to heal and quite frankly ive had it up to here with reading about how gsi suck from our side and how gsi are divine from your side.....

Can we please Endex this thread before it goes completely out of control?

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Originally posted by [GSF]Ninja Hamster

I did not say you were in the wrong, and that was not my intent to give you that impression. I am simply stating that we may not fully understand one another. Indeed, what happened to your hosted site is terrible. I'd be pissed too. But like any other large corporate entity, GameSpy is not one large omnipotent being. Sometimes the left hand does not know what the right is doing so to speak. I don't know why these things happened to you, I do not know if you have tried to contact those responsible, and I do not know what answer you received if you did. I simply wish to help us understand one another. Maybe even help you get in contact with GameSpy employees. I never intended to tell you that you were wrong, or insult your intelligence. And I apologize if that is what you thought I meant.

Misunderstandings are common so lets forget about it :)

I did contact various GSI team members and the basic story line is that all PU logins are on a shared account and that all were locked to stop anyone 'stealing' anything else...

This just doesnt hold water im afraid... a few people did still have ftp login so that kills the 'shared account' theory... also ive admins a network myself and while im not sure of GSI's setup i do know that its entirely possible just to lock out the old PU admins instead of dozens of hosted sites aswell.. they even locked out Email access... why? God only knows...

From my old PU ftp i couldnt access other files from other directories.. i could only access my files.. The same was true with all other hosted accounts...

GSI spun me a yarn.. they also gave the impression that i 'really shouldnt try to leave'.. whether they meant to give that impression or it was just accidental or a misunderstanding is by the by... i'd had it. I grabbed my files and ran.....

I dont really have sour feelings towards GSI but i must admit the constant bickering between them and certain members on these forums grows old very quickly...

Enjoy your stay at BuF :)

[GSF]Ninja Hamster

the man behind the mask
Nov 4, 2001
www.forumplanet.com

... your not helping the wounds to heal and quite frankly ive had it up to here with reading about how gsi suck from our side and how gsi are divine from your side.....

Ok, you're right, you know your forums better than we do. And if you say we should let things cool down. I trust that it is in our best interest. I do not think our purpose was ever to assualt or attack you. We simply wanted to know why you were so miffed at GS. And I think we have our answer. I appologize if we disrupted things too much here. Pearhaps we will meet again sometime, hopefully on better terms. Farewell.
-Ninja Hamster

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Originally posted by [GSF]Ninja Hamster

Ok, you're right, you know your forums better than we do. And if you say we should let things cool down. I trust that it is in our best interest. I do not think our purpose was ever to assualt or attack you. We simply wanted to know why you were so miffed at GS. And I think we have our answer. I appologize if we disrupted things too much here. Pearhaps we will meet again sometime, hopefully on better terms. Farewell.
-Ninja Hamster

Fair enough bud. Both sides just need a bit of time to cool down... so this is a request to everyone..

Dont go over to each others forums flaming people.. Im not naming names and im not gonna go on about it because god knows ive done it myself. All im saying is that we got what we wanted and they've got what they wanted... So lets just get on with things... :)

Im gonna go tinker with MForums some more ;)

Pathogen

Cat In The Fold
Some Final Thoughts Before I Go

[GSI]Dakota might be slightly miffed that I am about to reprint a private message that I received from him, but I felt it would be in everyone's best interest if you heard directly from him, and not from someone else, where he stands. Besides, I imagine pretty much everyone is privy to this information already.

"We told the admins of NaliCity that they would need to move shortly after they moved the forums. There are some very good people on that team, and it is a great resource for the community, but we didn't want to continue offering free hosting to a site that was actively working against PlanetUnreal. So, we gave admin access back to almost all of the team, backed up every file and database, and gave them a couple of weeks to move.

The files are a strange issue. FilePlanet is currently two systems: one for the public and one for hosted sites. The one for hosted sites, which Nali City was using, gives the site greater control over adding and removing files. Since hosted sites don't have many other options, we also make sure they have a ton of bandwidth, we don't require GameSpy ID login for downloads, and we show fewer ads. I'm willing to do this for a site we host, but everyone else needs to use the main FilePlanet system. I'm happy to put all of the files on Nali City on the main part of FilePlanet, but it sounds like they are looking for their own system."

And finally. . . Parting thoughts.

1) My tone and my intent are two very different things. If my tone sounded accusational and war-like, my bad, for that was not the intent.

2) If I ever go so far as to acquire Unreal Tournament permanently, I will gladly revisit this site. I have played it, and honestly, it is more fun than Q3A.

3) I am not well known as someone who stands up for Gamespy, because frankly, I do not. shaithis and I have come to blows over Fileplanet several times. I look upon the doings of all for-profit institutions closely if I choose to do any business with them at all.

4) Internet lynch mobs aren't in anyone's best interests, so I suppose it is best to finally kill the issue here.

5) In regard to Tetsuo's "feasability" comment. It's probably difficult for him to alter copyrighted software without going through at least some administrative channels, and it's probably not worth it to do so in that case to begin with.

6) If you have any further issue with me, drop me a line at my e-mail address, cyberlisk@hotmail.com. Do not bother spamming me if you value your life.

7) Buh-Bye, and best of luck with your bold little venture.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Re: Some Final Thoughts Before I Go

4) Internet lynch mobs aren't in anyone's best interests, so I suppose it is best to finally kill the issue here.

This is a good point. We've definitely had some issues with mob mentality here, just like what was witnessed at GSF when Pathogen posted a link to this thread. I definitely will say that Pathogen and Ninja Hamster are exemplary members of their community, and they do deserve our respect.

I'm just waiting until the time when we're more or less finally separated so we can stop worrying about this crapola :(.

Final though: Thanks Prophetus, for that very well-written and informative post. A lot of stuff that I didn't know was in there, and it should help to at least dispel some rumors.

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA

Er.. ok, i'll field this one.

GSI do not show much appreciation for community...
Take my site and raptors site, god knows how many other sites..

50% of hosted were locked out of their own sites. We had to 'ask' for permission to get into our content, and when i asked sluggo why this was his reply was along the lines of 'we dont want you stealing from us'...

Now im sorry, but i dont see how i can be stealing from them.. they go against the wishes of not only the hosted sites, and the admins just so they can sell their crappy little forum software and you have the nerve to come over here and preach to us about how we're in the wrong? Oh purlease....

Go home chief... and tell the rest of your clan not to come over here... its causing nothing but headaches....
WARNING EXTREME OUTBURST OF EMOTION FOLLOWS!
dammit that's the sort of thing we do not need. The guys being civil and that's not the sort of response you give to somebody being civil. Stop directing your anger to people that hang out at GSF or (GASP) like forum planet and GSI. I know a lot of you were dealt very unfair treatment but it's done with and over. Let it be. Pahtogen obviously came here to troll, he's an idiot in my opinion -all NinjaHammer is trying to do is smooth things over. I actually think some of those mods at the new PU forums are cool. Fine so flame me too while you're at it. I am so sick of this ****. LET IT ****ING BE! Pathogen go home-fine call me an idiot and than go home so you can have your revenge.....just don't come here and we won't bother you.
(Calmed down now)

BTW Just for ref I was trying to post this over at your forums but I'm not registered:/
I don't see any posts on the first two pages here by my fellow BuFs which means that leave BU Forums alone and our "Belligerent Moderators, Stupid Board Guests, And What Not" as you so eloquently put it will leave you alone. Just don't bring it up again for your sake and ours.
I just wish everybody (both sides) would stop posting in everybody elses forums and just let it be.
Thank you for your time.

Cryognosis

might never have a icon
Aug 2, 2001

[GSI]Dakota might be slightly miffed that I am about to reprint a private message that I received from him, but I felt it would be in everyone's best interest if you heard directly from him, and not from someone else, where he stands. Besides, I imagine pretty much everyone is privy to this information already.

"We told the admins of NaliCity that they would need to move shortly after they moved the forums. There are some very good people on that team, and it is a great resource for the community, but we didn't want to continue offering free hosting to a site that was actively working against PlanetUnreal. So, we gave admin access back to almost all of the team, backed up every file and database, and gave them a couple of weeks to move.

The files are a strange issue. FilePlanet is currently two systems: one for the public and one for hosted sites. The one for hosted sites, which Nali City was using, gives the site greater control over adding and removing files. Since hosted sites don't have many other options, we also make sure they have a ton of bandwidth, we don't require GameSpy ID login for downloads, and we show fewer ads. I'm willing to do this for a site we host, but everyone else needs to use the main FilePlanet system. I'm happy to put all of the files on Nali City on the main part of FilePlanet, but it sounds like they are looking for their own system."

And finally. . . Parting thoughts.

1) My tone and my intent are two very different things. If my tone sounded accusational and war-like, my bad, for that was not the intent.

2) If I ever go so far as to acquire Unreal Tournament permanently, I will gladly revisit this site. I have played it, and honestly, it is more fun than Q3A.

3) I am not well known as someone who stands up for Gamespy, because frankly, I do not. shaithis and I have come to blows over Fileplanet several times. I look upon the doings of all for-profit institutions closely if I choose to do any business with them at all.

5) In regard to Tetsuo's "feasability" comment. It's probably difficult for him to alter copyrighted software without going through at least some administrative channels, and it's probably not worth it to do so in that case to begin with.

6) If you have any further issue with me, drop me a line at my e-mail address, cyberlisk@hotmail.com. Do not bother spamming me if you value your life.

7) Buh-Bye, and best of luck with your bold little venture.

2.you know,you can stay in the off topic forums (whats wrong with that? i know a couple ppl here without UT),but if you insest.

also: *points at the words "it is more fun than Q3A."* TAKE THAT Q3A!!! YOUR OWN PLAYERS LOVE UT MORE!!! :D
3.your opinion opposes shai? never seen that... but then again,im not that active...
4.i was about to post a big flame twoards some of the ppl at GSF,i guess i'll forget about that scince this thread is going to be closed anyways

note:scince it isn't in your best interest to keep it open,scroll down to the bottom,there should be something that says "-- Thread Options -- " under "Admin Options:" near the bottom corner,select "Open / Close Thread" and click on the go button next to it,i know it will work dispite saying "Admin Options:"
6.hmmm... maybe i should spam on one of those "i wanna die" days... :D
7.cya

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Originally posted by OshadowO

WARNING EXTREME OUTBURST OF EMOTION FOLLOWS!
dammit that's the sort of thing we do not need. The guys being civil and that's not the sort of response you give to somebody being civil. Stop directing your anger to people that hang out at GSF or (GASP) like forum planet and GSI. I know a lot of you were dealt very unfair treatment but it's done with and over. Let it be. Pahtogen obviously came here to troll, he's an idiot in my opinion -all NinjaHammer is trying to do is smooth things over. I actually think some of those mods at the new PU forums are cool. Fine so flame me too while you're at it. I am so sick of this ****. LET IT ****ING BE! Pathogen go home-fine call me an idiot and than go home so you can have your revenge.....just don't come here and we won't bother you.
(Calmed down now)

BTW Just for ref I was trying to post this over at your forums but I'm not registered:/

heh, you have a go at me for being uncivil (not quite sure how you came to that one bud), and then you yourself act uncivil... :rolleyes:

AriTheDog

frog steering expert
May 6, 2001
USA
Visit site

yet you support them when you don't know both sides...

and you came to the conclusion that you were correct before you even knew any of the information...

GSI members are certainly welcome, as long as they don't say hello with a thread about the fight between GSI and BU...

:rolleyes:

QAPete

Chief Muckety Muck
Aug 17, 1999
Pottstown, PA, USA
www.beyondunreal.com

Interesting, but off the mark. Nobody on Nali City was working against PlanetUnreal. Hell, I - along with some great admins - helped build PlanetUnreal to what it was at its best. I had months to hurt PlanetUnreal/GSI, and never did a thing with the full access they left me with after I left on July 14th. GSI blew away everyone's access, email, etc., and only left a rudimentary access for a couple of guys. They even went outside Nali City, and disrupted access for MANY hosted sites. I am aware that there are some there who still don't have their accesses back.

Also, Dakota never contacted me about Nali City, and it's my site. Not once. I had expressed my concerns to Sluggo about moving the Nali City database, and even offered up a couple of suggestions as to how the community could continue to utilize FilePlanet for Unreal-engine downloads from Nali City. I even wrote Mark Surfas about it. I'm still waiting for a positive response from them.

They do require GameSpyIDs for downloads, as they required that PU hosted sites use FilePlanet for download links. Frank Rogan was emphatic about this. They were quite interested in our FileRing system, but ran into a brick wall, because we encoded the code. Finally, they made some changes to the download mechanism there which forced us to change our code to 'plain white vanilla' FilePlanet links.

I had asked that they move the Nali City folders intact to their main FilePlanet FTP, and supply me with link code that we could use. Sluggo's reply was 'if it's even technically feasible, how long would it take you to update your links?' Technically feasible? Just set up a directory structure and copy the files....

You may think you're seeing this situation clearly, but the fact is that I know more about what's going on with this situation than you do. There is much I know that I won't post publically, as I try to have a little more class than that. When the GSI Site Director contract was posted on PlanetCrap, Mark Surfas immediately assumed I sent it to Morn. How typical, but how untrue. I did comment at length there, as I had something to say. The contract came from someone else, don't know who.

PlanetUnreal was either the second or third highest planet site on the network for page views when I left. You can be sure it's not anymore, and that's no accident. That's a direct result of GSI's strategy, tactics and actions toward what always was the most independent of the planet sites - PlanetUnreal, where I never signed a contract, never agreed with their aggressive 'we own what we publish' tactics, never explicitly transferred any intellectual property rights to them, and where I was one of the most productive site directors they ever had.

Pete
-BeyondUnreal Rebel Leader

Status
Not open for further replies.