GSI Warfare

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gamespy:

• Is The Base of Operations For The Anti-Christ (Watch The Omen III, Kids)

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Is A Greater Travesty Than BC3000!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Angers Me To No End.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Has Severely Tested My Patience.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Annoys Me At Times, But Is Over-All Worth The Hassle.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Is Not Good Or Bad, But Lies In A Purgatory of Normality.

• Meets My Standards.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Is Above Average When Compared With Other Gaming Networks.

• Is Very Good.

• I Want To Have Gamespy's Baby.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Pathogen...you are mixing up your facts with your loyalty to GSI. I worked for GSI and chose to leave. GSI never did anything bad, but at the same time, they have demonstrated strong arm tactics.

All this stemmed from the Site Director's contract. What you fail to understand is that Planet Unreal NEVER belonged to GSI. Planet Unreal started off as a hosted site. The creators of that site moved on and left other people in charge. In the course of Planet Unreal's history, GSI "assumed" ownership of the Planet names.

Strangely enough, none of the creators of Planet Unreal remembers siging or negotiating a contract to explicitly hand over PU to GSI. GSI knew this and created a new contract. In that contract, it stipulates that every Site Director is to receive 30% of ad revenues. Although that is good (for some), the rest of the contract was written to wrest control of any Site Director's work.

Whatever content a Site Director put on their Planet sites becomes the sole property of GSI. True, if a company is paying you, then they should receive ownership of your works. However, they didn't seperate what kind of content.

So, if you made a new data compression program to speed up upload and download transfers, and then put it in a GSI database, they would claim ownership.

This debate sparked the exodus of serveral admins. Of course, the admins were forced, morally, to state they are leaving for other reasons. QAPete, on the other hand, did not leave on their terms. Silently, admins across the GSI network applaud QAPete. Sadly, they have to publicly denounce him.

I don't care what GSI is telling you...they never knew Nali City had any plans to move to Beyond Unreal. Once they created the FP test, the PU community voiced their protests about moving. We then decided to move the forums to Beyond Unreal.

Beyond Unreal was going to be a seperate and new site. Since the forums belongs to us (legally), we were going to move it too. But, we were going to discuss terms of transfer of data to FP. But they forced us to act prematurely and now state we forced them to create FP. I wonder how everyone knew about PU's FP but had no link or idea about BU?

When we moved the forums, GSI immediately cut off every hosted site's access to Planet Unreal. They claimed it was for security reasons, not related to the move. However, my sources told me that GSI was backing up all the data to prevent hosted sites from leaving.

Nali City was one such site. And to shoot down your theory about what happened, we were in negotiation with the GSI top man about keeping NC files at PU. That was, until NC's files were deleted, without warning.

Call it want you want, but when a company holds your data hostage, deletes the data in an attempt to ruin your publicity, and privately copies content to an unknown location, that is a sign of Coporate Killers.

Previously, I was neutral about GSI...but after they attempted to sabotage NC and indirectly tried to ruin BU, I have no love for them. I am appalled at how some people at GSI could think of such a thing.

Nali City is important to the UT community for various reasons. One reason is that Nali City is THE historical library of the Unreal series maps. GSI knew this and what better way to force a community to stay away than to destroy their files. I believe, that if the truth was not discovered, GSI would have claimed we did it.

Sorry, but GSI did try to sabotage the UT community in hopes they would move to PU FP. That is just unethical and the people who committed this crime deserves no respect!

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
So much for being civilized eh Patho?

This is so typical of GSI/GSF.
With their sheer mass and power, they can say anything is true, and people will believe it.
Every major GSI person is saying, that BU started all this, and GSI only reacted. Of course people rather believe an established group that an unkown one. To them we are just "that rebeling guys over there", and dismiss everything we say.

Centuries ago, people like George Washington were called rebels and traitors. Today they are called heroes. Am I saying that someone here is a hero? No.
I say that people believe what GSI says, just because they are GSI, not even checking the other side's arguments and motives.

There is no reason to throw 27000 people together, and assume that the opinion of one single person represents our colllective opinion.
Now everyone there uses that small quote as his proof to call us idiots. But the idiot is he, who doesn't look at the rest of this thread

And stupid posts by Boardguests are so easy to fix... :rolleyes:

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
:hmm:
can't seem to reply, so perhaps you could post this in that thread pathogen?

TTRStryker8 here
ignore the guest profile thingy, i'm not registering here for just this post
the thing is that this is really a community thing whats been going on between buf and gsi, so i doubt you can see the whole picture if you'r not part of the community. We have been taking quite a few hits from gsi, recent thing was they moved nali city from pu to bu, for no apperent reason (still waiting for an official statement or anything really from gsi)
Also i would like to apologise on behalf of buf of the recent spikes in guest members, and insulting...
i personally don't stand for this kind of attitude and i totally dissaprove of it. I'm quite happy with gsi and the services they offer, i don't think any1 can say anything against that. I also believe (i might be repeating myself her) that this whole thing could have been avoided by simply negotiations, and a little spirit from both sides, i can speak on my behalf that bu has been quite patient, even though some members have not :(
Also i think this is really stupid, i mean there are far worse things happening in the world, and here we are fighting over small things compared to the recent events in the world.
I do hope you have no grudges against bu (though i think its a bit to late for that :(
thank you for reading this.

quote to fit the situation: why can't we all just get along

yeah yeah, i know, i'm repeating myself and all, somehow i rely on the human common sence, and await something good to come out of this whole situation

[edit] nm, i posted it now [/edit]

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
Originally posted by TaoPaiPai
I felt I had to expose THIS to all BuFf'ers
http://www.forumplanet.com/gamespy/topic.asp?fid=1897&tid=434942

:rolleyes:
I 've checked the other posts in this forum.
Looks like these dude at the gamespy forums think like they are the kings of the universe,at least the kings of the ForumPlanet Nebulae (which is not the merriest of the kingdoms).

They appear to be very pissed off at what they consider as disrespect from a community that seems actually more interesting than theirs,(well it is true that it was not a good move ,in the first place, to go and pollute their forum)

The arrogant and cool-minded prose of pathogen makes me think he is one sorry little dude trying to assess his superiority over his auditors.

Yes, exactly like Hitler :rolleyes:

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
When we moved the forums, GSI immediately cut off every hosted site's access to Planet Unreal. They claimed it was for security reasons, not related to the move. However, my sources told me that GSI was backing up all the data to prevent hosted sites from leaving.
:tdown::mad:

Thankfully though, I managed, with the help of clambert, to suck the Fusion Forums off dynamic2 before GSI pulled the plug on our access. I'd already been planning Fusion's move to BU for a few weeks by then, and had all our content backed up anyway.

Holding data hostage? I'd check with Boom, but isn't that slightly illegal? The GSI hosting agreement states that GSI will never own anything on a hosted site, and yet here they were holding our data and denying us access to it.

GSI have something known as a network login. This is a username and password that gives you access to any GSI-hosted FTP sites such as PU, as well as News System, hosting management and PlanetAdmin access. When GSI revoked my access, they killed this completely. I was denied access because my login no longer existed. While I can understand how GSI might have overreacted and thought that the BU team would try and delete GSI stuff, what about people with hosted sites? By the end of October 14th 2001, every last bit of my GSI-related access was dead. I couldn't even collect mail from my what had been my primary account for the past 18 months. I'd love to know how GSI thought that I could threaten them by reading my mail.

Last edited:

Pathogen

Cat In The Fold

1) They do not think they are the kings of the universe. They just think a lot of you are dumb.

Centuries ago, people like George Washington were called rebels and traitors. Today they are called heroes. Am I saying that someone here is a hero? No.

Spare me your inaugural speech, please. That's almost as bad as the time I heard someone compare the Metallica/Napster issue to the Underground Railroad.

90% of the replies we get to this subject are like ModSquad's or worse. I have seen just about every kind of despicable board poster there is to see in my time, and not the least annoying are the ones who:

A) Join up on an anti-establishment cause for all the wrong reasons;

B) Angrily present fact after fact of at best questionable validity;

C) Have precious little of any importance to bring to the discussion.

And 8-4-7-2, just because you disagree with my findings does not mean that I know nothing. I find that moderately insulting.

Next thing is Forumplanet.
No it's not about the software, but about control. Here clambert can more or less quickly change anything we want. At FP GSI officials say they must do "feasability studies" for such simple things like an adjustable timezone display. Yes we would have kept our moderators. But the admins would have been people we don't know and don't care about us. At any given point they could have changed things, and there wouldn't have been a thing we could do about it. Over months we knew the move would come.

I have been at the Gamespy Forums since March. Not once have I encountered something so inane as a "feasability study." The service is quite good.

Things change just as quickly at GSF as they do here, if not faster. We have a very good set of moderators. I don't know what you seem to be afraid of, but it's beginning to seem silly.

It's also about identity. This community us unique. You can't just mix it with others like PHL or PQ in an anonymous juggernaut like Forumplanet.

Why you think you are better than all the other communities is beyond me. And ForumPlanet is not an "anonymous juggernaut." All it really happens to be is a set of forums based on different topics that are networked together through a global profile system. Simplistic, effective, and useful.

Now the last strike. GSI suddenly deleted all files on NaliCity. The by far biggest source of Unreal/UT maps on the net. Just when we thought this is over, the next silly move.

Get it through your head that nothing was deleted. At worst, the website was down for a few days. And it was not sudden, otherwise no one would have been preparing for it in advance.

How would you feel if you thought there was a distinct possibility that most of the PlanetUnreal traffic would be funneled away to a different website, thus depriving you of advertising revenues? It wasn't unlikely that some UP-hosted sites might decide to also make the switch. It's not nice to redirect traffic from another site without its permission, and it's not very open-minded to expect them to keep using bandwidth to serve the other site's needs.

The costs of the bandwidth probably outweigh the advertising revenues considerably.

They appear to be very pissed off at what they consider as disrespect from a community that seems actually more interesting than theirs,(well it is true that it was not a good move ,in the first place, to go and pollute their forum)

The arrogant and cool-minded prose of pathogen makes me think he is one sorry little dude trying to assess his superiority over his auditors.

Yes, exactly like Hitler

Frankly, I would kindly ask you to stop being a turd, for your sake and mine. Rather than make wild assumptions you should consider actually asking these people what they think if you are at all interested (which you are probably not). But if you are not interested in the subject, and you don't actually know what we think, you would do well to keep your opinions to yourself.

I am trying my damndest to not let this turn into a flame war, but some people insist. . .

Last edited:

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Your thread at GSF clearly shows that you just came here to troll. There you openly state that everyone here is an idiot (which you also said here). This thread was made for the sole reason to stir up **** again. And as always you blame it on us. Fine

I will leave it for others to answer for now, as I'm going to bed.
One thing:
Yes you don't know jack. That all arguments in your first post, centered around the forum software showed that. As Prophetus and me said, it was about the ownership of work done by the Site Coordinators

I have been at the Gamespy Forums since March. Not once have I encountered something so inane as a "feasability study." The service is quite good.
http://www.forumplanet.com/planetunreal/topic.asp?fid=3692&tid=338421

AriTheDog

frog steering expert
May 6, 2001
USA
Visit site
some of the more choice bits from that thread... :rolleyes:

As we all know there was a "corporate community killer" thread spear-headed by a group of intellectually-challenged board guests that appeared on October 14 and was recently resurrected by said board guests.
Though curiosity killed the cat, (even if he was unspeakably arrogant), I decided to investigate BeyondUnreal, and, after briefly reviewing their forum system, had this to say.
Now, be warned that this may cause a slight spike in retarded board guest activity around here, but also be aware that activity levels should subside once the next solstice occurs (Or was it the Second Coming? I can't remember).
But in any event, I found the subject to be worthy of my attention, and since I am the most important being in the universe, it's obviously worth yours.

---------------------------

people like that annoy me. i didn't know what the hell half of those posts meant. they were all full of some l33t speak crap or something but anyways.

What a bunch of ****in idiots they got over there. Imagine a world full of board guests..... *shudder*

It's refreshing to know there are forums with even stupider people than these. And nice arguement Path.

can you say GSI mob mentality?

or perhaps they really don't understand enough of our "leet speak" [i didn't see any, did you?], perhaps they also don't understand complex thought patterns in a discussion. perhaps they don't even understand anything not posted by GSI?

i find it hard to believe they could think those things after reading this thread, if they even did...

Pathogen

Cat In The Fold
I think you are reading way too much into what I am saying, 8472. I never said that all of you were idiots. What I did say was that certain not-very-intelligent people were polluting our forum with what was more or less nonsense.

And I do think that if GSI really wanted to stamp out a given community, they would do so. This community, however, is far from dead.

phil

OH GOD
Jan 3, 2000
lol the corporat community killer thread was supose to sound retarted (i was making fun of all the upcomming threads like it). but I are mentaly chalanged ask people.

*edit*
I just rechecked the thread. I didnt bump it. and it was written about 20 minutes after it happened. not recently.

anyway.

Last edited:

[GSF]Ninja Hamster

the man behind the mask
Nov 4, 2001
www.forumplanet.com
Hello, I am also a member of [GSF] While I do not doubt that you are angry at GameSpy for reasons you find legitimate, I do not think you fully understand everything that is going on on our side of the fence, just a we do not fully understand what is happening on yours. Exchange of heated words will only make our misunderstandings worse. Over at the GameSpy forums we are in regular contact with GameSpy employees, perhaps you could come over there and voice your questions. Please try not to be overly aggressive, use profanity or insult anyone. Just voice your concerns and you will get honest answers. The people I know at GameSpy are not evil little money grubbing trolls. They are intelligent, rational people, concerned with the well being of the gaming community. I don't know what went wrong in your eyes, but perhaps if you were to get into contact with some of the head-honchos over at the forums, you would get some of the answers you seek. Post in This Forum Title your thead something like "GameSpy employees- please read" Or ask for Warrior (He's the "master Spy Guy")

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
Is there any real point to this thread?

Our opinions have been presented more than enough to GSI. If anything we are happy we are here and thats all that matters.
The vendeta is over.

Cryognosis

might never have a icon
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by zynthetic
Is there any real point to this thread?

Our opinions have been presented more than enough to GSI. If anything we are happy we are here and thats all that matters.
The vendeta is over.

actully,the flames are just starting again at GSI

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Originally posted by [GSF]Ninja Hamster
Hello, I am also a member of [GSF] While I do not doubt that you are angry at GameSpy for reasons you find legitimate, I do not think you fully understand everything that is going on on our side of the fence, just a we do not fully understand what is happening on yours. Exchange of heated words will only make our misunderstandings worse. Over at the GameSpy forums we are in regular contact with GameSpy employees, perhaps you could come over there and voice your questions. Please try not to be overly aggressive, use profanity or insult anyone. Just voice your concerns and you will get honest answers. The people I know at GameSpy are not evil little money grubbing trolls. They are intelligent, rational people, concerned with the well being of the gaming community. I don't know what went wrong in your eyes, but perhaps if you were to get into contact with some of the head-honchos over at the forums, you would get some of the answers you seek. Post in This Forum Title your thead something like "GameSpy employees- please read" Or ask for Warrior (He's the "master Spy Guy")

Er.. ok, i'll field this one.

GSI do not show much appreciation for community...
Take my site and raptors site, god knows how many other sites..

50% of hosted were locked out of their own sites. We had to 'ask' for permission to get into our content, and when i asked sluggo why this was his reply was along the lines of 'we dont want you stealing from us'...

Now im sorry, but i dont see how i can be stealing from them.. they go against the wishes of not only the hosted sites, and the admins just so they can sell their crappy little forum software and you have the nerve to come over here and preach to us about how we're in the wrong? Oh purlease....

Go home chief... and tell the rest of your clan not to come over here... its causing nothing but headaches....

phil

OH GOD
Jan 3, 2000
summer action thriller preview
AND YOU THOUGHT THE VENDETA WAS OVER

....but you where wrong.......

FORUM WARS:THE ATTACK OF THE M0s

WITH MORE LAME ANTICS THAN YOU COULD SHAKE A K7 MEMBER AT.

comming to a forums near you.......

Status
Not open for further replies.