Graphics update mod for X-Wing Alliance

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
S508hIp.jpg

I was recently at Toys R Us with my daughter and seeing the new toys for the movie nearly made me hyperventilate. Nostalgia was hitting hard. I came home and found my physical copy of the game and went to install and oof doesn't want to even install. Found some people that had work arounds, but the work was more effort than I was wanting to put into it. Then I found out it's on Steam and I don't have to do anything to get it to work.

Then I found out about this project called X-Wing Alliance Upgrade where a group is going back and upgrading all the models, textures, and backgrounds. Now I'm even more stoked!

I've been having lots of fun playing through this again. I've always been a huge fan of the X-Wing Series and contrary to popular opinion, I felt this one was better than Tie-Fighter.(which is also good) I felt this one had much better immersion.

Anyone else here a huge fan of this game? It's unlikely, but I hope this new trilogy will spawn another space sim game. Having complete control of your ship makes this game so much than the Rogue Squadron games.

Reactions: leilei

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I assume they can change the hud.

I love that people are doing this shit with old games.
they did this with Duke Nukem 3D and the original Doom games; all updated assets replacing the old sprites with high res textures, high poly models, etc etc.

Reactions: BillyBadAss

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I assume they can change the hud.

I love that people are doing this shit with old games.
they did this with Duke Nukem 3D and the original Doom games; all updated assets replacing the old sprites with high res textures, high poly models, etc etc.

It does breath of breath of fresh air into this game. This is hands down my favorite space sim of all time, and is my favorite Star Wars game of all time, so I was glad to see people working on it. If you've never played it, you can't go wrong with a $9.00 price tag on it.

Also, with modern video cards you can override in game graphic settings, so turning on better anti-aliasing features etc. really do wonders for an old space sim. No jaggy edges and weird scaling of the textures.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
I'm the inverse. I'd use postprocessing shaders with modern video cards to make the game look like it's running on era-appropriate 3dfx Voodoo hardware. a bit blurry, but helps make it look less uncannily clean.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Unfortunately. some of the text is messed up. Mission Go s? cprrd c0?

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Unfortunately. some of the text is messed up. Mission Go s? cprrd c0?

That's due to me forcing graphic settings via the driver software. If you turn that off it looks fine. I don't really care though as I know what everything says and the graphics are more important to me.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
Tbh, I see the entire X-Wing franchise as great games with greater wasted opportunities.
You have three great singleplayer titles with little to NO multiplayer functionality, and a dedicated multiplayer mashup far too early for it's time. (nevermind no compatibility with the other three's SP content)

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Tbh, I see the entire X-Wing franchise as great games with greater wasted opportunities.
You have three great singleplayer titles with little to NO multiplayer functionality, and a dedicated multiplayer mashup far too early for it's time. (nevermind no compatibility with the other three's SP content)

Yeah, I agree about the multiplayer bit, but the single player is so well done and so immersive I don't care so much. My reason for liking the game is I really feel like I'm in the Star Wars Universe. You can still play multiplayer via TCP/IP if somebody hosts and other get their IP so they can join. It would be fun to play against some BUF people again in this game. We did it years ago once.

More eye candy:

cIQOyLv.jpg