1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

graphic improvements

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by Lee_Shagwell, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Lee_Shagwell

Lee_Shagwell New Member

A few things i'd like to see

Bleeding

People with really low health (say 25%) should bleed and leave little trails of blood behind them. Not only is this realistic it could also be used to a tactical advantage.

Skidmarks

if your chasing a vehicle and it manages to get out of site, you could use it's skid marks as a marker to see where it went. obviously the vehicle would only leave skid marks if it was turning round a corner, braking or pulling away (wheelspin). Skid marks should remain for a very long time, say 10 mins

Map damage / decal stay

i.e. if you shoot a wall, the bullet marks should stay there for a very long time (10 mins), blood stains should stay there for the whole duration of the level. Basically if there's been an all out war in a place 5 minutes ago, i don't expect to turn up and see it looking as clean and polished as the ritz hotel!

2. PoPoV

PoPoV New Member

I totally agree with you.
    Bleeding-The bleeding in ut 2004 was terrible IMO, some unrealistic blobs of blood would splatter out, and they would vanish within seconds.
    Skidmarks- Although I'm not too hung up on this, I'd like to see it.
    Map damage / decal stay - I always hated the way that in most games, when you shoot the terrain, little/no damage is done. I'd love to see permanent damage to maps.

3. Deadmeat

Deadmeat New Member

You can get mutators that do this. The one problem is that because of the way UT handles the decals you need a powerful machine to be able to keep them around for any length of time. Most regular players would find the game turning into a chug-a-thon during any intense match.
    It would be very nice though to have the decals stay around for longer.

4. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

how about some DX9 effects for a change? like blurred vision after an explosion in your face or the cool distortion effect from the hot air after explosions?
    how about a little deafness after a rocket exploding next to you?
    those are standard things most new gen games have that dont exist in 2007 video preview. if they release 2007 without such effects, they obviously need a wake up call.

5. TheSomian

TheSomian Freak

you remember Söldner:SecretWars? where every falling tree was saved in the map? an the battle can be continued in the next match? and in the end of some matches the Map was looking like the moon's surface, craters, dust....
    you remember the webcode? where the whole bandwidth was used for falling trees ans the simulation of growing flowers? :D

Remember the Karma-engine in UT2004? :)D ²) where you were able to see the explosion of an house in a slideshow-like framerate?

but if the wallmark-and-stuff-status is saved on every player's pc, you don't have to transmit it to the rest, but you may see something else than´somebody else, which could be not fair in some cases.

6. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

its not hard to optimise an engine to show decals over the network properly. that is, if the decals are just templates applied. unfortunately if a physics engine is worth its salt there shouldnt be templated decals which complicates things alot in terms of network transmission.

7. UnrealGrrl

UnrealGrrl Enemy flag carrier is Her!

and hows about empty shells from guns laying around. now thatd be a fun decal to have :p ;)

8. Torvec

Torvec GL, HF, AND DIE!!!!

those kind of effects would affect gameplay, and most likely in a negative way seeing as how fast paced this game is, your vision would be blurry all the time and you couldn't hear **** cause a rocket exploded by you every two seconds.

You need to keep in mind that just cause some effects are cool/work in other games doesn't mean it'll work in a game like UT. All those other shooters that do have those effects are slow paced 'realistic' shooters. But then again, anything is possible and i'm sure the UE3 engine could VERY easily pull said effects off well, it's just a matter of how it affects the gameplay...which is the most important factor to consider in this game.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  9. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

Nearly every game i can think of is doing that refraction effect after an explosion! I just boring now, and is usually completely overdone:mad:
    I'd rather see explosions that produces fluidly animating flames, throw out chunks of debry on fire and have more variety in colour like the UT99 ones did.

Another effect i would like to see is decals that take advantage of the virtual dispacement mapping technology already used on characters to make bullet holes/craters look like they have depth!

Also weapons should effect different surfaces differently, like doing the shock combo over a snowy field leaves a crater were the snow has been vapourised from the heat.

Doing a shock combo over the desert kicks up a wall of sand that gets blown into the wind, doing it over a grassy field leaves a ring of scorched cinders and faint burning grass and so on!

Epic could really harness the power of the physics chip to do particle effects with thousands of particles, like snow storms, torrential rain, dust storms, fog, nebula, cropfields, realistic fire, swarms of animals/insects

I'd also like too see seas/oceans that have proper 3D waves that crash against coast. Not the flat plain water that nearly all games use now days.
    I can imagine AS-Overlord from UT99, only this time the waves throw you and your comrades on to the beachfront, along with floating crated of your equipment, this efect would have worked well on DM Peak, and DM-Galleon also!

Looking directly into the sun should overbrightnen your vison, but merely having the sun in your field of vision shouldn't do this.

I'd like to see the tarydium crystals of Unreal brought back, the ones that looked like Liquid Crystal, they were one of the best effects of the original, and really set it apart visually from other FPS's

with a graphical engine as powerful as UEngine 3, they have no excuse not having descent looking thunder and lightning.

Empty shell casings too, And descent muzzle flashes too. Though I really like the current muzzle flash on the shock!

In UC2 you could see the characters own hands holding most of the weapons in First person mode. This should continue in UT2007, but for all weapons. It make the game more immersive. This should even apply to vehicles and turrets
    The Assault Rifle from UT2k3 would have looked so much more convincing with this!

Jumpboots/Grav belts/Shield belts should be visable on the character aswell as improved armour. As more damage is done too a character, chunks of armour should be knocked of them, scorch marks and injuries on there body etc. This is aready being done with the vehicles, so no reason not to apply it to characters.

Epic should bring back mirrors and refect surfaces such as marble floors.

Weapons/Ammo in Unreal had all types of interesting visual features ie. ASMD had coolant that it vented out as steam, the Automag could be twirled, the Dispersion pistol transformed when powered up, Flak shot cooled down in UT realitically from white hot too red, Epic shoud add neat imaginative stuff like that to weapons.

10. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

no, i dont mean a rocket in your legs would make you blind. i meant a rocket in your face should give that effect. it will have an effect on gameplay for sure but i think if you take a rocket in the face and still survive you should b punished a bit more than just lower health and armor.
    realistic or not, futuristic or not a rocket in the face should make anyone see stars. besides being blind doesnt mean you cant move. it wuld be a very interesting twist and would surely have less impact in gameplay than floating around had.

11. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

I'm refering too the refraction effect around explosions used in Doom3/Halflife 2/UC2 etc I'm not referring to your statement on rockets disturbing your vision.
    This is already done in UC2 and it an OK effect!

12. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

was replying to vector :D

13. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

I wish they would focus on environments as much as they do for player models. Nothing worse than a realistic character standing on a plastic looking rock.

14. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

especially if they're actual obstacles in the game-world ...

visions of players falling over shells ...
    that scene from Hot Shots 2 where there's an entire mountain of shells after he's done spamming the enemy ship with his machinegun ( = 'mini-gun' ;) )

15. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

Vector this! :chainsaw:

:lol:

Exactly the problem with rocks/cliffs and terrain in UT2kx

16. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

I hope fog is always volumeric, even on older machines, I want to hide in it, even with neon skins. That's one thing I wish I could do more in UT2004, hide. I enjoy hiding in shadows in Quack 4, when it doesn't crash on me.

17. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

Fog thats volumetrically lit and shadows can be cast on,

In an early UC video they had an effect were projected lights would cast shadows on particle fog, it looked excellent, but the effect was Axed fro m the final game.
    Volumetric fog for clouds also. This effect is in Cryteks next engine!

18. toniglandyl

toniglandyl internal data fragmentation : 62203480%

i agree with gregori, but maybe the shock combbo transforming the terrain that much might be too much (look how huge the shombo is in UT2007). i'd love to see rain on a character, and all. and in the rain fantasies, make the shock combo do like in the matrix 3 for the rain drops : you see the raindrops making a sphere with the shockwave... (ah i can't explain well)

19. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

That effect with rainshock wave in matrix would look rock for the shock combo in rain effect!!!!!

I liked the liquid lava effect of ut99, it should be brought back but improved!

This is something obvious that Epic should have put in UT2k4. Vehicles that clip the side of buildings/cliffs or other vehicles should create sparks.

When a vehicle as heavy as a Goliath/Paladin falls of a cliff it should kick up a **** load of dirt and debris, and make a massive crashing sound! It should also look like the vehicle has suspension!

20. Neophoenix

Neophoenix Bast's Pet

All these things would enhance to feel of UT2007 IMO. just the thought of them makes me feel like a kid in a candy shop :D.

Some heat destortion would be good though, like over lava, burning debris, or a road baking in the hot sun. It would make it feel more real, but don't put it on everything, else it would be over done and boring.