Got Older, trying to bounce back!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
So its been about 20+ years since I last went to the gym and worked out. The first 10 of those years I stayed really active enough to slow dow the weight gain as my metabolism slowed. Things were ok but gaining weight is rather costly as you need a whole new set of wardrobe before you current clothes fall out of fashion. It wasn't until my health started to get bad that I started watching what I ate and I stopped drinking all together. Fatty liver and pre diabetic diagnoses pushed me furthing into the human restoration game. :)

So a few months back I purchased some used exercise gear for the house. Most were broken but cheap and so I had to make them projects until i could afford new gear. I have to say that buying used exercise gear is like buying a $500 car. Sure it will run, but its a high maintenance relationship. When I finally got around to buying new gear, I started to feel more alive. I slept better, wanted to do more things but it isn't all roses.

I can't even do 1 push up! I've gained 80lbs in 20+ years and I used to be able to do 60 wimpy pushups or 40 army style, and sometimes I could pull off 10 one handed push ups. Sit ups were so easy, but wow now, I'll hurt myself just attempting to do one. It takes a lot more work just work up to a point where I would have felt pathetic 20 years ago.

I do admit that even though progress is slow and my health is improving, I can't help but shake the idea that I'm like some old guy with a belly shaker trying to lose weight.

IMG_7194.jpeg

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I have some exercise gear laying around. A couple of dumbbells for example. I wouldn't mind getting a barbell, some extra weights and a rowing machine (but I don't have that much space in the house and the walls are thin...)
I'm happy to say that I can still do push ups :D But I haven't been to the gym for a while as well. Almost 8 years.
I plan on doing so, buut I can't find the time. honest...it's a bitch.

What keeps me fit is spontaneous exercise. Plenty of walking and cycling. Taking the stairs instead of the elevator. (well, running up the stairs actually and lots of it :D I can't help it.)

Hey hope you get back into shape. Don't turn into a donald trump type of old man :tup:

Reactions: OO7MIKE and oosyxxx

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
My garage, at least part of it, is a gym; benches, weights, pull down machine, squat rack plus boxing heavy bag etc. I still work out three times a week on average.

Getting older sure but , like everything, you only get back as much as you put in. Go hard or go home! Oh wait; I am home...

Reactions: OO7MIKE and oosyxxx

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
My garage, at least part of it, is a gym; benches, weights, pull down machine, squat rack plus boxing heavy bag etc. I still work out three times a week on average.

Getting older sure but , like everything, you only get back as much as you put in. Go hard or go home! Oh wait; I am home...

Home? Wait. Yeah. I heard of that place.

eIJlsM4.jpg

Reactions: Manticore

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
So its been about 20+ years since I last went to the gym and worked out. The first 10 of those years I stayed really active enough to slow dow the weight gain as my metabolism slowed. Things were ok but gaining weight is rather costly as you need a whole new set of wardrobe before you current clothes fall out of fashion. It wasn't until my health started to get bad that I started watching what I ate and I stopped drinking all together. Fatty liver and pre diabetic diagnoses pushed me furthing into the human restoration game. :)

So a few months back I purchased some used exercise gear for the house. Most were broken but cheap and so I had to make them projects until i could afford new gear. I have to say that buying used exercise gear is like buying a $500 car. Sure it will run, but its a high maintenance relationship. When I finally got around to buying new gear, I started to feel more alive. I slept better, wanted to do more things but it isn't all roses.

I can't even do 1 push up! I've gained 80lbs in 20+ years and I used to be able to do 60 wimpy pushups or 40 army style, and sometimes I could pull off 10 one handed push ups. Sit ups were so easy, but wow now, I'll hurt myself just attempting to do one. It takes a lot more work just work up to a point where I would have felt pathetic 20 years ago.

I do admit that even though progress is slow and my health is improving, I can't help but shake the idea that I'm like some old guy with a belly shaker trying to lose weight.

View attachment 103793

Welcome to the HRG! First question: can they do lipo on the fatty liver? I hope so. I'd rather do lipo than quit drinking.

I mean, as if.

d19418c3-784b-4e75-9a9c-25c097fe627e_text.gif

If you can't do a pushup, start with walking and simple stretching. In a state of non-beer-drinking, the weight should come off faster. Learn to psychologically embrace the hunger state as evidence that you're losing weight and on your way to feeling better.

Spoiler: the better your shape, the easier your workout. And don't think I don't know you're still staring at that .gif. It's okay. We forgive you. We love you. ❤

And, with a couple sets of dumbbells, you can combine them with bodyweight exercises. For your chest and shoulders, lying down on the ground and doing dumbbell chest presses once a week should help you do pushups within a few months. That's another thing: do strength training twice a week. Only one body part per sesh. Maybe some assertive walking once or twice a week, through which you can express your inner fascist. Let your balls swagger to and from each side. It's okay if the local news films them balls. Please @ me when it comes out.

The last resort is HRT. Don't do that until you have some more training under your belt. If you need to fly me in for some private seshes, PM me the deets.

Can't wait to see those abs. :rockon:

Last edited:

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Welcome to the HRG! First question: can they do lipo on the fatty liver? I hope so. I'd rather do lipo than quit drinking.

I mean, as if.

If you can't do a pushup, start with walking and simple stretching. In a state of non-beer-drinking, the weight should come off faster. Learn to psychologically embrace the hunger state as evidence that you're losing weight and on your way to feeling better.

Spoiler: the better your shape, the easier your workout. And don't think I don't know you're still staring at that .gif. It's okay. We forgive you. We love you. ❤

And, with a couple sets of dumbbells, you can combine them with bodyweight exercises. For your chest and shoulders, lying down on the ground and doing dumbbell chest presses once a week should help you do pushups within a few months. That's another thing: do strength training twice a week. Only one body part per sesh. Maybe some assertive walking once or twice a week, through which you can express your inner fascist. Let your balls swagger to and from each side. It's okay if the local news films them balls. Please @ me when it comes out.

The last resort is HRT. Don't do that until you have some more training under your belt. If you need to fly me in for some private seshes, PM me the deets.

Can't wait to see those abs. :rockon:

Haha I gave all the drinking up. Its ok :)

Yes I watched the gif for longer than it took to read the messages.

I have a stationary bike, a row machine and some bands. I try not to overdo it because then I can't exercise the next day.

No HRT for me. I have low testosterone but i'm told its within normal range. I will say that anything that makes those levels go up a little bit just makes me angry and impatient and that kind of guy doesn't get laid with the wife. Ask me how I know?

Reactions: oosyxxx

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC

Oof! The go hard part gets me in trouble. Go soft and for a long time haha

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
Haha I gave all the drinking up. Its ok :)

Yes I watched the gif for longer than it took to read the messages.

I have a stationary bike, a row machine and some bands. I try not to overdo it because then I can't exercise the next day.

No HRT for me. I have low testosterone but i'm told its within normal range. I will say that anything that makes those levels go up a little bit just makes me angry and impatient and that kind of guy doesn't get laid with the wife. Ask me how I know?

You gave all the drinking up? Like, up into the air? How do you know?

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
You gave all the drinking up? Like, up into the air? How do you know?
The last few times I had a drink, I hurt all over. Took a while to find something that didn't give me arthritis. Even so I could only have one drink every few months. Daring to have another the next day usually meant depression or rather a lack of that highly sought after buzz/drunk feeling I remember. The last time I had some was on a vacation with my wife 6 months ago, before that it was a year.

I do sometimes miss the therapeutic properties of having one drink but its better this way. I need to stick around for my kids. :)

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
The last few times I had a drink, I hurt all over. Took a while to find something that didn't give me arthritis. Even so I could only have one drink every few months. Daring to have another the next day usually meant depression or rather a lack of that highly sought after buzz/drunk feeling I remember. The last time I had some was on a vacation with my wife 6 months ago, before that it was a year.

I do sometimes miss the therapeutic properties of having one drink but its better this way. I need to stick around for my kids. :)

Roger that! ✔

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Just an update. My dietary change has really made a measurable difference. I am no longer considered pre diabetic, but I need to maintain this new diet for a while. Maybe the rest of my life. Although i do on occasion partake in something sweat or otherwise outside of my diet, i don't feel like I need to take a nap directly after. Small portions only.

I did find out I have a fatty liver. I haven't had a drink in about a year, and before that it was another year and I basically just stopped before the pandemic because it didn't make me feel good at all. It's possible I've had this as a result of something else other than drinking. Regardless I am working to address this issue. My friends still drink but not as much. I gave them all warnings that it would catch up to them eventually. I didn't expect them to listen, but I feel better doing my part. LOL

My work out routines have paid off. I lost 30lbs since I started this. I work out slowly and with lighter weights. Not as resilient as i used to be. Body just doesn't bounce back. My old pants don't fit anymore. I need to be better at working out every day but a few times a week is the best I can do for myself unless i'm sick. Things are slow but not stagnant. :)

All of this should help out with the fatty liver and hopefully it can unfatten itself LOL

Reactions: oosyxxx

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
Just an update. My dietary change has really made a measurable difference. I am no longer considered pre diabetic, but I need to maintain this new diet for a while. Maybe the rest of my life. Although i do on occasion partake in something sweat or otherwise outside of my diet, i don't feel like I need to take a nap directly after. Small portions only.

I did find out I have a fatty liver. I haven't had a drink in about a year, and before that it was another year and I basically just stopped before the pandemic because it didn't make me feel good at all. It's possible I've had this as a result of something else other than drinking. Regardless I am working to address this issue. My friends still drink but not as much. I gave them all warnings that it would catch up to them eventually. I didn't expect them to listen, but I feel better doing my part. LOL

My work out routines have paid off. I lost 30lbs since I started this. I work out slowly and with lighter weights. Not as resilient as i used to be. Body just doesn't bounce back. My old pants don't fit anymore. I need to be better at working out every day but a few times a week is the best I can do for myself unless i'm sick. Things are slow but not stagnant. :)

All of this should help out with the fatty liver and hopefully it can unfatten itself LOL

Great news! It sounds like you've broken any kind of psychological reliance you might have had, if you even did feel such a thing.

Now, as you continue getting in better shape, working out will be easier as well. If you are ever too sore to do strength training, it might help to put it down for a couple days and instead just do some walking or light cardio. Maybe go to a yoga studio and ogle the camel toes, or moose knuckles. But listen to the body, and rest when needed.