Gonna take the GFX card dive soon.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
A few months ago my 9800pro came down with a fatal illness. Since then I have enjoyed UT2k4 on my gf4 4200 @ 640x480 with playable frame rates. I want more.

I have heard many people online brag about there new X800 cards while i brag about my current card and resolution. They pitty me...and i still kick their asses. It's very fun to kick ass with a handycap...but it is even more fun to kick ass with better resolution and frame rates.

Although i could get off easy by buying another 9800pro 128mb or 256mb for a few more bucks, It would not even touch the performance of the next generation cards, so in this case, I really must spend more to get more.

After some intense research I have found that the GF 6800 has equal performance to the X800 for $100 less. When I say equal, I mean that the Nvidia card scores higher in 3dmarks, but the ATI card scores higher in Aquamark. This kind of performance is scalable to many types of games. Performance differences are not really noticable with 2-15fps. With this in mind I have come to the conclusion that the GF 6800 is a great value compaired to its competition. This is very suprising since it only uses 256bit DDR-1 and only 128mb of it. (X800 uses DDR-3 and 256mb of it) If i even remotely considered the X800, I would just go ahead and purchase the 6800 GT since its a much better card anyways.

The issue right now is that it will set me back $300. This is already a bit much for me, so anything more expensive cannot be done. There are currently only 2 brands out there.

eVGA and Leadtek
Lead tech is about $10 more and does not use the manufacturers spec design.

I plan on waiting 1-2 more weeks before purchasing anything.
Feel free to give some feed back.

BTW....If I get really itchy BFG GEFORCE 6800GT OC 256MB GDDR3 $390

Last edited:

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
Cat Fuzz said:
You must have a zillion computer parts laying around. :rolleyes:
..if you only knew. :rolleyes:

not only do I have parts laying around, but....I got spare high end gamers here too, a couple of them, one in a Vapo PE machine with a FX5900. :p

Why, you need sumthin? :)

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Rukee said:
..if you only knew. :rolleyes:

not only do I have parts laying around, but....I got spare high end gamers here too, a couple of them, one in a Vapo PE machine with a FX5900. :p

hey hitting the 2nd zero birthday in 2 days, care to share? ;)

Cat Fuzz

Qualthwar's Minion. Ph34r!
Rukee said:

Oh, I ALWAYS need something. I just can't spend any money on my computer. Heck, I don't even have any money to do the brakes on the Rodeo. It also needs the tranny scanned and fixed, timing belt replaced before it breaks, and a front end alignment plus any parts that may need to be replaced to get it to line up. Then there's my truck.......

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
I'm thinking that GT will be a great investment. It's going to be cheaper for me to buy now than later. Price vs usage time.

I think I will grab a Nostromo N52 and a new mouse pad as well. This should hold me over for a while. :)

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
I would take the X800 over the 6800 straight away, only thing I would be worried about at this stage is how the 6800 will perform over the X800 in UE3 etc. with hardware pixel shadar 3 support, but they will prolly be minimum spec by then anyways :p

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
I dont think that matters since Ued3 like the game is very cpu dependant. The differences between most of these cards are negligable with UT2k4. The real differences show up at higher resolutions and quality settings.

Now if your talking about Ued4 the next gen engine then you might have a point. I dont think it will matter for little old me who isnt under NDA with the new engine editor.

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
UE3 = Unreal Engine 3 :)
And yeah, I just don't know what sort of a benifit you would get with hardware pixel shadar 3 support, ask epic :)

Last edited:

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
Bot_40 said:
UE3 = Unreal Engine 3 :)
And yeah, I just don't know what sort of a benifit you would get with hardware pixel shadar 3 support, ask epic :)
Epic is prolly waiting for mappers to tell them what the benifits are. :p