God orders murder: Insanity in the USA, Barbarianism in the middle east?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
\/\/0RF said:
But there's still the problem of the condition of the human soul, which IS the primary topic of the Bible. Thus, God is still a very relevant force in the world, and that's why 85% of the world believes in SOMEthing.

Which leads me back again to science and religion being two totally different areas, and when one tries to infringe upon the other, it's usually to the detriment of both.
Yes, still. The concept of a soul was (IMHO) born out of fear form death and what comes after. Once we start to spread in the universe and restore our last brain backup into a clone of us the concept of souls will become less popular. :D :D :D

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I think it's time to start changing "not guilty by reason of insanity" to "guilty by reason of insanity". It makes more sense. Technically any lawyer can chase after an insanity plea as it's not hard to make it look like killing somebody isn't a sensible thing to do.

WTF who put us back on topic?!? :rant:

;)

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
\/\/0RF said:
I think it's time to start changing "not guilty by reason of insanity" to "guilty by reason of insanity". It makes more sense. Technically any lawyer can chase after an insanity plea as it's not hard to make it look like killing somebody isn't a sensible thing to do.

WTF who put us back on topic?!? :rant:

;)

Amen. Though the number of successful not guilty by insanity rulings is very low. I just did a quick google search now and yes, very very low: "Though statistics vary, experts agree the insanity defense works in less than 1 percent of all cases — between 1/3 and 1/12 of 1 percent, by most estimates. And because the defense and prosecution agree the defendant is insane in 90 percent of those cases, juries accept the plea in an even smaller fraction of contested cases — about 1/120 of 1 percent." source<--lol @ the topic of the article.

Anyway, despite the fact that the not guilty by insanity plee rarely works, and when it does, the person is really mentally ill, it doesn't change the fact that insanity is nothing more then a legal term. I agree that people with mental disorders should be dealt with differently, but it doesn't change the fact that they are guilty.

Being against the death penalty in all cases, I think convicted murderers should be locked for life; the difference between a "sane" murderer and an "insane" murderer would be the facilities where they server out their term.

Can we stay on topic? I doubt it. :-/

Last edited:

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Of course, the other half of the problem is, the same people who try to get the guy off on an insanity plea, then spend the next 20 years trying to convince the world that the client is in fact mental, and when they run out of appeals and it's time for the chair, they cry foul for carrying out the death penalty on the mentally deficient and the public, an entire generation removed from the case, go "OMGWTF :rant: "