1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

God damn you, Interplay. Or, Black Isle's demise.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Keganator, Dec 10, 2003.

1. poaw

poaw You used to sleep easy at night.

The Golden Age has always been about 5 years ago in PC gaming. I mean, do any of you remember the Ultima VI and VII? What about Wing Commanders 1, 2, and 3? Civilization? What about System Shock 1? X-Wing versus TIE Fighter?

The past always seems better compared to the future because we can look back and see and remember the classics. Five years from now we'll all be talking about how great IL-2, GTA:VC and Max Payne were and how the new stuff coming out is over commercialized crap.

2. cleve-ntt

cleve-ntt random in the head.

I bet ID software get shut down due to "Bad Press" after release of Doom 3 because of every shooting in the world being blamed on it.

*Imagines thousands of stupid parents, mary whitehouse clones, and priesty types with billboards outside ID software's HQ.

3. Vega-don

Vega-don arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée

i have to agree with that

we have actualy great games like flashpoint, inf, il2 , Vice city. all those bring something new. and driver 3 is coming and looks very promising !

but the golden age for me is over :
    it was when lucas art dropped 2d adventure games. those games made my imagination work
    day of the tentacle, Monkey island, Sam and max hit the road,Full trottle.. THAT WAS THE **** ! this artistic approach of video game is what is lacking today.

Monkey island = best video game ever. video game, not realy , art piece , much more. this game had so much influence on me..it is in me.

yes, i want 2D adventure games back

4. [GD]]v[aelstrom

[GD]]v[aelstrom New Member

Concidering that the actual team that did Fallout hasn't worked for interplay in over 2 years, The "Fallout 3" Interplay says they were planing was mainly a sham.

Interplay owned the "Name" of Fallout....saddly not the engine. this Fallout 3 that was supposed to come out was only going to be for X-box or some other TV-station gaming device, it was never going to be PC. Also it was going to be 3rd/1st person....not the original top down RPG game that it once was.

As for the original team that made Fallout/Fallout 2/& Fallout tactics.....they all moved an started their own company called Troika Games and using Sierra as its publishers. If you haven't played, and are looking for a "Fallout" type game, try "Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura". Great game and made with the "fallout 1/2" engine. (Done by Troika Games)

5. MadWoffen

MadWoffen Soon! ©

You got 80% wrong, thank you for playing, you are the weakest link...

Fallout 3, the RPG game FOR PC was in production and this one is canned by the closure of Black Isle. Of the original team, most went to Troika games as you said but remained one or 2 guys in Black Isle.

As for the console version, Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, the game is NOT canned. It seems the new politics of the french holding is (for now) to focus on the console market and to put between brackets the PC market. Baldur's Gate 3 is also canned but for other reasons (trouble with Wizard of the Coast) but the console version of Baldur's Gate (the second version), will be out this winter.

P.S.: Interplay still hold the original Fallout engine also. fallout 3 was going to be on a new engine (the same for BG3) but substantially remains as the original (with better graphics&resolution, real 3D but still isometric kind of view).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2003
  6. MadWoffen

MadWoffen Soon! ©

update from the Titus shareholders meeting of yesterday:

the closure of Black Isle is an hoax provided by a fired employee. No words about Fallout3 but it looks suspended for now, awaiting for more bucks to enter. Basically, if the 2 console games : Baldur's Gate2: Dark Alliance and Falout: Brotherhood of Steel that will be out in january are both a success, there is a good chance they will continue Fallout3. Vivendi (the US distributor) already paid in advance the royalties for 250000 copies of BG2: DA.

Apparently Titus got rid of some expensive employees hence the hoax.
    The group looks better and bankruptcy is being casted away but the risk is still present.

7. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

A hoax? Really. And why did it take them half a month to make people see the truth? Why didn't it take them mere hours to resolve it? That little fact doesn't sit well with me.

8. MadWoffen

MadWoffen Soon! ©

Titus is well known for his lack of communication or even bad communication. Once their share lost more than 60% just on bad communication.

Now the situation isn't that simple and it is possible they planned to "freeze" the studio or to sell it (like they did for Shiny) and given the outcry of the base fan they now cancel the decision... if there was a decision about it. I guess the truth is in-between.

On the other hand, maybe they left this hoax working on his own because it may have served their interest. Titus is on a struggle with a finance group and a bank, to show them they are in big difficulties and that their studios has "no value" and it's better to close them could be a weapon to their debtor: "see, we have no money, continue to pressurize us and you'll be left with nothing".
    They already used this tactic and it worked, this how they managed to clean 80% of a very huge debt.

9. Freon

Freon Braaaaiinss...

Sorry Mad but you got pwnd by Titus PR team :(

- Black Isle was not closed indeed since 2 employees are still left
    - Fallout 3 was never canned since it was never officialy announced

See, it's just a big hoax, nothing happened in fact :hmm:

10. MadWoffen

MadWoffen Soon! ©

Freon, this is not from PR or else, this is is just from someone I know that went to the shareholder meeting. Yes, they axed the expensiviest jobs at Interplay and Fallout 3 exists, believe me...but nobody can't really tell about its future right now.
    Titus is fully betting on console games for now as they give a much better benefit. I guess Fallout 3 will depend on the success of his little brother.

11. Freon

Freon Braaaaiinss...

You don't understand me Mad. A week ago, Interplay announced (on IGN.com) that all this Black Isle story was a hoax. And they used the reasons I explained above:
    Black Isle still exists (2 employees are left)
    Fallout 3 was NEVER officially anounced and therefor could not be canceled.

I never said Fallout 3 doesn't exist, I'm just reporting what Interplay said about it.

12. MadWoffen

MadWoffen Soon! ©

Ha ok, "good" to know the story was officially announced as an hoax, I didn't know that.

Well as I said, those are difficult times for Titus/Interplay, they are going to bankrupt by the end of the year or they are going to succeed in their bet. Only time will tell.