1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

global warming? or global cooling?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Warm Pudgy, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Warm Pudgy

Warm Pudgy i wanna be a nazi mod like swarthy

2. BobCobb

BobCobb Society is a leech on me!

From imperical evidence I have determined that the globe is warming, and this is due to humanity, but mostly indirectly. I have read up on the issue, and there is no doubt in my mind that the greenhouse gases are affecting the world.

So the true question is, when, where, and how much? Not if.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  3. Cap'n Beeb

Cap'n Beeb Banned

Slow down there champ, this isn't a contest for fastest post button in the west! [​IMG]

4. Zxanphorian

Zxanphorian ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Could you please form your thoughts into a clear, concise way?

My 2 cents in one sentence: It was proven that global warming causes the earth to go into global cooling.

5. BobCobb

I had a clear and concise thought down, then an accidental back cleared it, and my second post was absolute ****e. Welcome to the world of me trying to do 3 to 5 things at once.

Essentially, the world is warming. Whether or not it is part of the normal evolution of the world, or is being caused by humanity I believe that humans are impacting the world. With obscene amounts of pollution from industry and automobiles, it would be hard not for it to affect the world.

I'm pretty certain that humanity is affecting the global climate. Now, the question to answer is not if, but how are we affecting the environment? Where is this occuring, and how much of an affect are we having? These are difficult questions, and it may already be too late. Or, this may just be another natural change on Earth, exaggurated by pollution.

Who knows. Our children will have to find out if we fuxored up the world, or were just ****ting our pants over nothing.

6. Bean 3:16

Bean 3:16 New Member

I wouldn't tell kids that. If they knew that we were soiling ourselves for no reason, they'd be impossible to potty train.

7. Freon

Freon Braaaaiinss...

You're american and drive an SUV wherever you go.

Do I win? :B

8. SlipStreams_65

SlipStreams_65 User Titles are Useless.

Global warming is a natural thing that occurs between ice ages. It should take the earth roughly 10,000 years to heat up by the amount its heated in the past 100 years. So theres just no denying that we have Accelerated the process, by far too much. Oil companies (especially ExxonMobil) are all too quick to tell you theres no such thing as climate change ( see This Funny Video) because they are so dependant on damaging oil for profits.

There really is no point or logic in being sceptical of global warming, especially since it is the single biggest threat to the planet. Here in the UK, the gulf stream which keeps us warm through winter is weakening which means things will get so much colder in the near future.

What scares me though is this: If we were to completely stop all greenhouse gas emissions right at this moment, theres a good chance the process wouldnt reverse as we are now at the "tipping point". So, now that the global emissions levels continue to rise, what hope have we got?

9. BobCobb

The hope that nuclear winter can cancel out global warming.

10. SlipStreams_65

that was on an episode of Futurama today :rolleyes:

11. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

Not looking good...

It doesn't matter is it's Global Warming or Global Cooling, because it's bad for us either way.

As with most things affecting nature, it's probably a little of both. Some areas may see an increase in tmperature, while others may see a rise. The UK and Ireland are likely to see a drastic drop in tempurature, due to Artic melt-water derailing the Gulfstream. The Gulfstream is the thing that gives the UK and Ireland their weather. It's mild, wet, unpredictable but stable in that it avoids extreme weather. Any break of the Gulfstream will result in the region having a climate more like other places it's latitude. Like Edmonton...

12. Renegade Retard

Renegade Retard Defender of the newbie

>Enter Mortey fart jokes here<

13. DeeperShade

DeeperShade Banned

Bottom line, whether or not humans are the sole cause of it, evidence from core samples do show that we do have an adverse effect on it, and seeing as we're fscked either way, I'd more rather we TRY and stop it, rather than sitting on our asses like 90% of the world leaders are doing. And yes, I'm looking at you Bush.

14. MrSmiles

MrSmiles selimsrm

no.

I hate SUVs espesially the H3

let's blame GM for global warming

15. Renegade Retard

Renegade Retard Defender of the newbie

Core samples?!? You're not talking about the earth's core, are you? Because that's not possible. I doubt that's what you meant, so I'm just asking for clarification.

So, how do we go about trying to stop it? Global Warming, as far as my limited knowledge goes, is primarily effected by pollutants, and the three biggest sources of pollution (again, based on my limited knowledge) are electrical plants, factories, and auto exhaust. We've already tried to make cleaner power by using such things as nuclear plants, regulations have been placed more on factories, and we've made strides toward clean fuel autos.

So, in my humble opinion, we are trying at least somewhat to do better. My question is, what else CAN we do?

Note - I'm just playing Devil's Advocate for the sake of the discussion. My questions were not meant to be argumentive toward DS or anyone else

16. Rambowjo

Rambowjo Das Protoss

Global AIR! The preasure on the entire earth will get higher and higher, and then suddently, everything gets compressed and we will all die, while all our bones break and the heart, brain, kidneys and liver flying out of the mouth, lungs exploding, eyes getting totally squished and breastcages are being crushed.

That's what I think will happend! I have no prove though :(

17. BobCobb

What can we do? Quit acting like we are doing things and actually do them. Transfer the automobile market to green hydrogen, and until we can transfer the infrastructure start selling ethanol.

Put some serious research into fusion, and start replacing those dirty coal plants with nuclear plants. Today's cutting edge nuclear plant is much safer and efficient than the public's perception of them. And they certainly create less pollution. Sure, we might have alot of nuclear waste lying around, Global warming dwarfs a little nuclear waste on the scale "we need to fix this".

When we have the technology for an emmission free way to produce electricity for industry, we can almost wipe out all pollution. We can already fix auto pollution, for the most part, and begin to exchange the dirty coal infrastructure with cleaner nuclear power. As fusion/whatever the next big energy is is ready for deployment, we can begin to replace our nuclear network with fusion/the next big thing.

We can't get rid of all the emmisions at once, but we have to start somewhere. Sitting around waiting for the right answer to bite us in the ass isn't going to work, we need action now.

18. SlipStreams_65

Pessimist: Nothing, since its already too late

Optimist: Get rid of all fossil fuel plants and replace them with renewables, and massively increase energy effiency. Convert all cars etc to run on Hydrogen. Use carbon capture (Its NOT an excuse for people to create more CO2,it may be a crucial factor in reducing the amount already in the atmosphere. Ban jet engines altogether, even the water vapour that hydrogen jets create contributes to the warming effect.

19. BobCobb

This is where your argument gets fishy. First of all, pure water vapour will not contribute to the warming effect, and banning jet engines will only drive the world economy into the dirt. We have to be smart about fixing the world, or we will end up with worse problems. Jet engines are a necessary part of this world, and they only constitute a small portion of the pollution anyways.

Coal plants are the ones we need to work on getting rid of.

20. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

You do realize that there's actually a net decrease per capita in CO2 emissions and most other particulates by Americans, right? And without spending obscene amounts of money like other countries who are realizing that Kyoto is costing > 10 times what was projected?
    Clean-burning plants reduce emissions by 50-80%.