1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Giant human-piloted fighting robots to face off in battle

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Manticore, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

Two giant human-piloted fighting robots are set to face off in a duel in one year, after a Japanese robotics company accepted a challenge from a US-based firm.

MegaBots founders Gui Cavalcanti and Matt Oehrlein issued the challenge to Suidobashi Heavy Industries through a video on YouTube.

"We just finished tightening the bolts on the Mark II ... and because we're American, we've added really big guns," the pair said.

"But the Mark II isn't the first giant fighting robot in the world. Suidobashi Heavy Industries beat us to the punch with the Kuratas, a 4,000kg robot with twin Gatling guns, a highly advanced targeting system, and a full heads-up display.
    GIF: The MegaBots Mark II fires on a car

"Suidobashi, we have a giant robot, you have a giant robot. You know what needs to happen. We challenge you to a duel."

The MegaBot Mark II weighs 6,000kg, is 4.5 metres tall, and fires 1kg paint cannonballs at over 160kph.

The mech concept originally appeared in a Kickstarter attempt last year, but failed to reach its funding target. It was completed with the help of software giant Autodesk.

The Kuratas in comparison stands at just over 3 metres tall and fires BB bullets rather than paintballs.

"[The challenge] really came out of nowhere ... it's interesting, I'll give them that," said Suidobashi CEO Kogoro Kurata.

"But my reaction? Come on guys, make it cooler. Just building something huge and sticking guns on it, it's... super American."

Mr Kurata agreed to the challenge, saying he would "absolutely" fight, but said the duel should be melee combat.

"If we're going to win this, I want to punch them to scrap and knock them down to do it," he said.

He added that if MegaBots organised the duel, the Kuratas would be there.

Mr Oehrlein said the duel would happen in one year, with the battlefield yet to be determined.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-...after-japanese-firm-accepts-challenge/6600076

Yeah; I'm ready for this. :2thumb:

2. DarkED

DarkED The Great Oppression

Holy shit, mechs are real now.

Someone needs to find John Connor and stash him in a bunker somewhere.

Hadmar likes this.
  3. Balton

Balton The Beast of Worship

YES!!!

4. Hadmar

Hadmar Queen Bitch of the Universe

The next step on our way to the AI uprising.
    I like it.

5. Jacks:Revenge

Jacks:Revenge ╠╣E╚╚O

6. Hunter

Hunter BeyondUnreal Newsie

Its not the speed they move I'd be worried about, its how big those paintballs are!