1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ghost Recon AW Demo

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by =CreepingShadow=, Apr 26, 2006.

1. =CreepingShadow=

=CreepingShadow= New Member

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  2. ragingsamster

ragingsamster oldfartis nongratis

have to wait for the work whistle to blow...

3. OICW

OICW Reason & Logic > Religion

Ummm, what are the PC requirements for the demo?

4. [UMC]Boron

[UMC]Boron UMC's Official Drunkard

taken from fileplanet.

5. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

The demo also installs Ageia PhysX junk on your pc.
    Except that it won't install the drivers, unless you've got Microsoft XP as an OS.

6. CAVERNA2K

CAVERNA2K Look, a fliing something!!!!!

I have played for some 30 mins. I am really disapointed.
    I say the truth, my specs are just the minimal, and I played with everything in minimal, but still the game took 7 mins to load, from double-click the icon to action. A lot of time in my opinion.
    Also, i liked better the original GR because you could use all the Ghosts, and thus their specialities/weapons. Now you must "be" the forsaken Mitchell and you must control ever other ghost from a distance. I have the feeling this is a console game taylored for PC.

After all, this will end like Doom 3: very beautiful graphics, hyped game. Or it is just me without a very good computer.

Well, Doom 3 was better than GRAW, demo vs. demo.

FYI: XP 2400+, 9600PRO 256MB, 512MB DDR400.

7. =CreepingShadow=

Not just you.

I have a 3.6Ghz P4-660 with hyper-threading, 256meg GeForce 6800 GT, 2 Gig SDRAM, etc., etc., and running this demo reminds me of my old 500Mhz Celeron days when playing Half Life online (on a 56k) at anything higher than 800x600. The highest resolution in this demo with just a mere 2x antisoptric is a slide show. There's no option for anti-aliasing or high detail so I'm left with 1024x768 and all the jagged edges and crappy renderings. The mouse movments lag, and some of the animations are very dated reminding me of that latest Rainbow Six title which was a disaster. There's not a drop of blood or splatter anywhere to be seen which for me takes away from the reality factor Ubi is trying to hype up, and the crappy AI, the little 3-man team stares at walls, always faces the wrong direction, at times never listen to commands, and even stand there to get shot up without running for cover. Wonderful.

Yet even with all that against it, the game has good moments, yet I personally wouldn't classify this as that elusive breakthrough "next-gen" PC title despite the marketing ploy, which, for the moment, does seem they purposely left out those higher detailed settings just to make you think you need a PhysX card to see what they're raving about. This idea isn't lost in their own market hype either, with both Ageia and UbiSoft cross referencing each other's information about the game and card on their own websites as if to convince us to run out and pick up a PhysX card because GR3 *needs it* to run properly. Whatever.

http://media.putfile.com/GRAWGL

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  8. CAVERNA2K

CAVERNA2K Look, a fliing something!!!!!

FEAR is better, and runs better. I'll stick with super value Ghost Recon Pack I'll buy today... No more than 10USD.

9. Rostam

Rostam PSN: Rostam_

Haven't played the demo, haven't even played GRAW on PC, but on 360 I have no problems with loading times at all. And I am pretty anal when it comes to loading times :-/

Pretty strange, usually the consoles are the slower ones. Maybe it is just the demo?

10. cracwhore

cracwhore I'm a video game review site...

The 360 version is better, and I'll stick to that, thanks. The controls for the PC version just feel so sloppy.

I suppose this is what happens when you have three different teams working on the same game.

When it comes to performance, you know - I think it just may be the engine. The trailers for the PC version are extremely choppy. I imagine (or rather, I know for a fact) that they capture their footage from high-end gaming / production rigs. So, yeah. Just the game it looks like...

Also, 'F.E.A.R.' is terrible. I'm sorry you can't realize this.

11. DEFkon

DEFkon Shhh

I wasn't even a big fan of Ghost Recon so i'll be steering clear of the demo. There was some review of Rainbow 6 that summed up the whole farnchise for me. All the Tom Clancy's been sucked out of the Tom Clancy gaming franchise.

12. Rostam

Well, personally I really liked Rogue Spear, Ghost Recon 1 and now GRAW. Others like raven shield and splinter cell weren't bad but just got boring after a while for me. But I just really enjoy fire fights in the situation that one shot can kill.

One thing that should be noted about GRAW though is that it seems to be 2 games in one. The first is the normal campaign mode in which cover and teamplay plays a big role. Walking towards a wall will make your character flatten himself against it, for maximum cover. This also means different controls - moving left or right will make you slide along the wall and then peak around the corner. The other is instant action (or multiplayer) in which things are a bit more dynamic. For cover just stand behind the wall, you can also lean out to fire.

I like both to be honest. Just killing 40 random enemies (as in, they patrol around a map) in a firefight mission is just as much fun as campaign, mission or whatever other modes to play are out (I STILL haven't had time to play them all).

If you didn't like the game then obviously you shouldn't buy it. I'm just saying GRAW is a lot deeper than it seems to be at first glance.

13. =CreepingShadow=

I've found a sweet spot in setting my card settings to High Quality, placing demo resolution at 1152x864@75, Anisotropic set at x16, shadows off, and Effects set at High, yet nothing can fix that sh*tty AI.

Things are bad when a patch is needed the day of release!
    Well, BF2 had some patch situations of their own early on.

Last edited: May 3, 2006
  14. TheShiningWizard

TheShiningWizard Because it's more fantastical.

I really enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to playing through co-op with my brother. I like the way it "feels". Granted, I haven't played a tactical FPS (outside of OFP) in quite a while, but I was impressed.

1280x960, 8X aniso, all effects at high/medium (depending on what's highest in the demo), and it ran very well. Athlon64 X2 4400+, GF7900GT, 2GB RAM (just assembled it this morning :) ).

edit: Fixed FSAA setting.

Last edited: May 3, 2006
  15. ant75

ant75 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Did someone say coop ? I'll inquire into this game. :)

16. [UMC]Boron

[UMC]Boron UMC's Official Drunkard

The game engine does not support AA. it doesnt matter if you force it with your card, it wont make a difference.

17. =CreepingShadow=

Patch for PC version seemingly being worked on (already)...:catfight:

"It looks like GRIN is working hard on a patch already - the first known testserver popped up today: version grpcrc1.06 while the retail is version 1.02. Obviously at this time there are no details yet, but it's always good to see GRIN is working on it."

From http://www.aftergame.se/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=48

18. Turin_Turambar

Turin_Turambar Pls don´t shoot to the Asha´man

Ugh. The coop mode is plagued with problems.

19. Rostam

I've played it for many more hours and another thing that I keep enjoying are the controls in multiplayer. I honestly can't remember another game that works so well on consoles for shooters, aiming is fast as well as accurate and intuitive.

The Coop on one console is done very well too. Makes missions so much more fun than roaming around on your own.

20. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

Can't play it with GeForce FX 5600XT. To bad.