[GFX cards] Competition at it's best

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
"What actually happened is that Nvidia recently learned about R420 marchitecture and this entire 12x1 story and, that they will eventually end up in second place and decided to can NV40 project and to go immediately with NV45."

"As the case is altered, Nvidia might win performance crown again but it's absolutely certain that ATI R420XT will be the first next generation card in shops.

Nvidia and its partners desperately need this fuel possibly with Doom 3 as a rocket to launch it into RetailSpace."

More goodies here:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14749

Oh man. I remember 2 weeks ago the head of Nvidia said he would be disappointed if the gfx card wasn't at least 2x faster. Not sure if he was refering to the competition or the current Nvidia cards.

I love it when companies are hashing it out by pushing faster technologies. This is how it should be!
With out AMD...Intel would probably only be at 1.5ghz by now.

ThomRed

Fire Fly
Mar 5, 2003
NJ
You need to companies against each other, But you do get companies like Nintendo with the GameBoy that just keep beating their own teck, to be sure they are on the top.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
ThomRed said:
You need to companies against each other, But you do get companies like Nintendo with the GameBoy that just keep beating their own teck, to be sure they are on the top.

I dunno about that. It took nintendo like what? 8 years to replace their gameboy with better/faster hardware. (redesigning the outer case doesn't count) I always hated gameboy cause it didnt impress. Even their new Gameboy advanced is only a 16 bit system. Can you say 1993?

No competition is bad.

Give me the power of the playstation 2 on a hand held...then we can talk.

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
I smell an upgrade!! :)

But then again, reading that, it does kinda sound like Nvidia is sticking their nutz onto the chopping block with this one. :hmm:

Dying_corpse

May 12, 2002
73° 35' W 45° 30' N
Visit site
OO7MIKE said:
I dunno about that. It took nintendo like what? 8 years to replace their gameboy with better/faster hardware. (redesigning the outer case doesn't count) I always hated gameboy cause it didnt impress. Even their new Gameboy advanced is only a 16 bit system. Can you say 1993?

No competition is bad.

Give me the power of the playstation 2 on a hand held...then we can talk.

the GBA is 32 bits

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Rukee said:
But then again, reading that, it does kinda sound like Nvidia is sticking their nutz onto the chopping block with this one. :hmm:

Oh common YOu know you want it!!

BTW for people who don't understand all the gfx card lingo

New NVidia card: 210 million transistors, 16 pixel pipelines

9800XT 107 million Transistors, 8 pixel pipelines
5950Ultra 130 million Transistors, 8 pixel pipelines

As you can see it has nearly twice as many transistors which generally = more processing power. 16 pixel piplines will totally own in OpenGL. Say hello to 100 average fps in doom3.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
OO7MIKE said:
As you can see it has nearly twice as many transistors which generally = more processing power. 16 pixel piplines will totally own in OpenGL. Say hello to 100 average fps in doom3.
say hello to 500 bucks less to spend ;)