1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GFWL shutting down.

Discussion in 'Games' started by HugoMarques, Aug 19, 2013.

1. HugoMarques

HugoMarques ☆☆☆☆☆

BAM!

So the shitty "service" (better described as annoyance) is closing down. According to other sources, Jason Holtman, former Valve employee joined M$ to help them create a new service more akin to Steam.

Like we don't have already Uplay, Origin, and a bunch of other online distribution platforms... Sigh.

2. Raynor.Z

Raynor.Z Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus

Joys of digital distribution and DRM.

3. Rambowjo

Rambowjo Das Protoss

What does this mean for existing GFWL games?

e: ah, says right at the top of the article. They will continue working as usual. You are screwed if you want to buy DLC though, unless other options are open.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  4. Al

Al Reaper

NOICE.

5. Capt.Toilet

Capt.Toilet Good news everyone!

Or if the game is available on steam then the dlc just gets imported over. Bioshock 2 updated the other day with cheevos... one of them being Minervas Den so that is pretty much confirmed coming over.

6. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

Nothing is just 'getting imported over'. That's entirely up to the individual developer. I suspect that for many older games, nothing will be done.

7. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

Yes; good question.

I noticed. I'll have to replay that games...........

8. MrMaddog

MrMaddog Flak Monkey

Ding Dong, the witch is dead!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

As it stands, you can still purchase GFWL games from Xbox.com and still use GFWL Marketplace to log into the service for your existing titles so you wouldn't have to log in from a full screen game (which is a bad idea to begin with...)

9. Plumb_Drumb

Plumb_Drumb yumb

yeah, they said all these GFWL games wouldn't be around from any marketplace.
    Well, I just passed up the Fable deal from both Steam and Amazon yesterday.

(not because they have GFWL, mind you, but because I think those games suck the butt crack)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  10. vladiris

vladiris New Member

Will they change GFWL with another application ?

11. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

I've just realised that this shut-down has totalled my game saves in Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City.

I bought Arkham Origins the other day and thought I'd go back and progress the older two games.

I'm not a huge fan of the game play in these games (particularly some of the boss fights) and I don't play them very often and have never completed either of them.

Unlike a lot of other GFWL games which were migrated to Steam the support for the first two Batman games was just dropped and peoples' game saves have disappeared into the void.

Now I'm going to have to start both games from the get go..... good game M$; you fucking arseholes.

12. Capt.Toilet

Yeah that happened a while ago. What is of bigger concern is the gobs of titles that are still in the "We are sucky developers and don't want to continue supporting our games" category. You can pretty much count out Dead Rising, Street Fighter 4(none arcade) and SFvTekken, Bulletstorm, Resident Evil:ORC and RE5, GTAIV, and soon if From Software doesn't get their head out of their dickholes, Darky Souls. Of course that list does not include all titles

Imagine all the dead weight you will have on your steam list :)

13. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Dark Souls has some kind of update coming soon.

14. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

positive news :)

15. Capt.Toilet

16. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I'll believe it when I see it, frankly. To me this just says they are going to extend the service a bit longer for someone like Glu did with Gamespy.

17. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Member

It's pretty much dead at this point anyway. After that announcement and the lack of any denial led many developers to patch GFWL out of their games I doubt anyone will ever bother to use it in their games again. Even a lot of Microsoft stuff these days (such as Age of Empires II HD) use stuff like Steamworks instead.

All Microsoft is doing is keeping the life support machine on a little longer.

18. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

The Halo franchise has appeared on Steam, so that's all the confirmation you need that it's dead.

19. Balton

Balton The Beast of Worship

now the same thing needs to happen to uplay and origin.

20. Capt.Toilet

Halo: Spartan Assault. The Halo game everyone wanted is on steam now. woooo :rolleyes: