1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Getting your RA fix.

Discussion in 'General Infiltration Discussion' started by yurch, Mar 4, 2002.

1. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

:con:
    Haven't noticed this myself...

2. Beppo

Beppo Infiltration Lead-Programmer

maybe others have already said this but I wanted to let ya know that dealing with the class= setting in our ini is no good no good no good ;) ... it can lead to problems with INF itself...
    so plz be sure to TEST your stuff fully... means with the orignal INF itself on "standard" servers and offline and not only with RA enabled ;)

I don't want to see a single email in my mailbox dealing with a crash that results out of a modified class= entry or similar stuff.

plz think about it ok. Btw, ya "only" need a mutator that changes the player class on login but the problem is that this can interfer with the INF classes that maybe do similar stuff.

So plz take this in mind while developing - what is highly appreciated btw - mods/muts for INF, thx.

- Beppo

3. DarkBls

DarkBls Inf Ex-admin

WHat about puting so much realism into INF that none would need any RA? ;)

4. Beppo

*ehem* 2.87 *ehem*

But I guess yurch is already thinking about changes for 2.87, so ;)

5. DarkBls

DarkBls Inf Ex-admin

COunt on me to give him some ideas too :D

6. yurch

Of course not. Any thing that happens with my mod, I want them to take it up with me. Don't go bothering beppo, he has better things to do.
    This class= entry is our last resort, many of us play a large amount of RA games, and are rather tired of the resulting crash. This goes around the modifylogin that was crashing things in the first place, and its resonably stable(much better than crashing every level!) for our uses.

7. St0rmcaller

St0rmcaller [AFA]'s unoffical godfather

Your suggestions/comments/bitches/gripes/complaints/compliments are more than welcome. We've already got some more idea's cookin' fo' dat mo' bettah flavuh of aar- ay- vee-three!

Werd to yo momma. :D

8. UTProphet

UTProphet Trial By Fire

Beppo - I don't see how changing the class would affect anything. I believe what you are referring to are other parts of INFcode that typecast it to the regular Boonie player class to get at its vars. That won't be a problem though because yurch subclasses it and doesn't make an entire new class. I'm pretty sure this is what you're talking about, but if not, please elaborate? Theoretically, everything should work fine on a subclassed player.

Also, yurch is right when he says there hasn't been a playerclass mod of 2.86 yet that doesn't get GPFs. In my opinion that is a problem of priority in Infiltration. There is no reason that anyone should not be able to... mod a mod [:)] without speedbumps.

I have checked Ra's code again and again and have found no problem in the syntax of changing the SpawnClass (after all I'm the one that gave it to yurch [:p]). Honestly I think there is no real answer to this problem. Although changing the ini is unsupported, I do suggest you use this to fix the GPF problem if you are a long term RA'er. After all who knows when 2.87 will be out, you may have to deal with it for a while yet.

9. Beppo

problem is that the class= needs to be 100% valid ... else ya get a crash on startup (due to the fact that this class is loaded on startup and spawned within the logo map). If the player changes the class= entry, then deletes the package it refers to (yepp some do remove/uninstall mods/muts etc) then this will result in a crash on startup (cause the class cannot be found). And then I get an email... I already did actually ;)
    Well the lucky guy was able to send me his log file and so it was no problem to tell him that the class was unknown and the package was removed etc.
    And even "advanced" users often do not know that they edited an ini file some weeks or months ago and most times a umod does it for them... so this stuff is a "bit" unstable and ya really have to watch what you are doing.
    Well the umod issue would be no real prob if all the users would use the uninstall option to get rid of installed mods etc... but unfortunately most users simply delete the files.

*edit* maybe not worth telling but like said... your class is then loaded on startup.. means it is "active" while you are in the menus. Normally this has no effect if it's a subclass of the original but even then it may has some functions included that aren't working correct and ARE needed/called within the menus... *edit*

That's more or less the main reason for it.

- Beppo

10. bastardb

bastardb New Member

hmm the only problems im experiencing is i cant join the jgkdo server... its running an older RA1 version.. i actualy "thought" it was the same version gambllexx has.. but i can join gamblexx no problem

however joining that jgkdo server it hangs at "connecting"

no problems on any other servers RA or not....

hmm

maybe i should have saved what the old value was... OOOPS

oh well i havnt really needed it yet... man it wasnt exactly like yurch posted either i dont think cause the search didnt find it

ah well

11. yurch

For reference, the normal classes are:
    INF_Core.INFc_CHBoonie
    INF_Core.INFc_CHCap
    INF_Core.INFc_CHHelmet
    INF_Core.INFc_CHBuzz
    INF_Core.INFc_CHRag

And Rav1 would have a different ini entry than RAv2 would.
    it would be ra.raBoonie or something similar. Drop the v2.

12. NTKB

NTKB Banned

Some classics never die.