Getting inf to work behind a firewall restricted connection

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
Say i'm at work, and the internet connection is limited to specific uses (mainly internet browsing). I'm unsure of the method used for restricting access, but i think it's based on blocking most ports except the commonly used ones. Now with the few infos you have here, my question is : is it possible to make inf work using a different port ? (no, changing the port in the ini is not the answer ;) ) Or alternatively, where should i start looking for this kind of question ?

Lemon.fr

SkaarjFruit
Oct 28, 2003
France, Cannes
Visit site
Most time, they use a web proxy, you can check this in the IE connection options, then only http requests (TO a port 80) are accepted else you should able to connect to an UT server.
The port UT would use in local to connect to a server isn't important for the firewall.
exemple: IE uses random ports (in fact, first free port in a range).

With my job, i visit many network Admins, i usualy ask them some infos about their security rules (and how smart they are...), a pro admin should not answer but sometimes they do :p
Try to retrieve few more infos, i could help you :)

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
I know i'm not giving you many infos here, but that's because i personnally don't have access to the aforementionned network. I'm asking this for a friend i'm trying to get into Inf (he has a lot of slack periods at his work :)).
I don't think they use a webproxy, because he's bringing his own laptop to work and he hasn't done anything to his IE settings (or hasn't said anything about it). I'll investigate on this ubertunnel thing (i'm not really familiar with this), thanks for the link neabit.

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
I tried ubertunnel, it doesn't seem to work.
Let me get the config straight : 'listen port' is the port you wanna use on you machine (the port that is still open behind the firewall), 'server port' is the port the server is using (7777 in most cases) and 'ip' is the ip of the server i wanna join, right ? Should i leave the options as is ?

edit : does the server need it as well ?

Last edited:

Lemon.fr

SkaarjFruit
Oct 28, 2003
France, Cannes
Visit site
A tunnel needs a computer to be onlne at your home Ant :

[Job] <-- Fake 'http' traffic to port 80--> [Home]<-- real unreal udp traffic-->[UT Server]

Assuming you can send, from job, http requests to port 80 of any server (IP)...
At home:

Launch ubertunnel.exe, click [Add], Listen
Port: 80
Server Port: 7777 (like for Riviera)
Server IP: 82.234.161.179
Then minimize the window

At job:

You need your Home IP adress (86.87.88.89 pour exemple)
Ingame, Open Location and enter : 86.87.88.89:80

This fake your home computer as a web server, but in fact it will redirect the traffic to a real UT server.
I didn't test it but thats what a tunnel does.
The .U and .INT file are only required to Admin the UberTunnel.exe at home from Job UT client (to add more tunnel etc..)

Important thing, if you have a firewall at home you need to open port 80

edit: Just tested it and it works.
armata_PDT_22.gif

Last edited:

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
Ok that's what i was afraid of. So if it's a bit like using a proxy, my guess is that it will cause much lag and it'll be very hard to play.
Thx for the help.

ravens_hawk

Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
Sounds more like port fowarding, I wonder does your company allow FTP transfer? If so use the program to foward to port 21, that would probably be easier than 80...