UE3 - UT3 Getting custom textures to be as compression-free as possible,

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jonathan

Mar 19, 2006
So I'm not sure where in the "pipeline" of working with UnrealEd some of my textures are getting really, really compressed.

So I have a few questions that can hopefully clear this up if possible:

(1) I have tried both TGA and BMP, and I *think* I'm getting worse results with TGA ironically. I'm assuming TGA is the best then?

(2) I haven't even published/cooked the package(s), so it must be happening earlier. Are there any settings around this?

I'm not sure if this relates to UT3 basically overriding your settings and compressing them further than you would like, or perhaps an error on my part. I have been doing a lot of work with TIF/DDS textures with another mod, but IIRC, UnrealEd only supports TGA/BMP, and perhaps DDS?

It is most noticeably in the normal map when I import it and create a material with it.

Edit: After going through a lot of the static meshes and materials in UnrealEd from UT3 (the materials/meshes that come with the game, that is), apparently it's something to do with UT3/UnrealEd, as it appears in their materials as well. Maybe there will be a way to workaround this.

Edit 2:
Hey, looky, looky
import.jpg

:D

From here,
http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3water2.htm

I'll look into how this could affect performance. Thanks Hourence. :D

Last edited:

InAction

I make things move
Jan 21, 2008
You must make sure you use the right compression method when importing textures. Normal maps has a specific normal map compression for it. Also the texture detail is less in the editor than in-game as far as I'm concerned.

Jonathan

Mar 19, 2006
You must make sure you use the right compression method when importing textures. Normal maps has a specific normal map compression for it. Also the texture detail is less in the editor than in-game as far as I'm concerned.

Ok.

Yes, I do always change the options when importing the normal maps.

I'll do some testing. Thanks for the information. :)