Get well soon Beppo !

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TitanBlue

KATSU AKIGATA WA NAN DESUKA
Jul 27, 2001
Visit site
confirmed countess, the links are working.
/me suddenly feels very, very sick too :p

TitanBlue :con:
feels very, very sick
needs dutch doctress : )

TitanBlue

Jul 27, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by Beppo
doh :D

I hope ya watched the European Baseball Championships in Bonn some weeks ago... I was there hehe

hey and I like "Printen" (a speciality from my hometown Aachen) ;)

ohoh... one of the INF-Gods was in my town and i didn't know (LoTekK where are you buddy? is this more than being in the same thread with [INF_GOD]Warren? :p)

Sorry no Beppo, wasn't there. Was it really baseball, not basketball?

For the others: you wanna know what Beppo really likes? here we go: :D

"Printen", the nationally renown confectionery of Aachen, are a type of gingerbread. According to "Aachen-abc", the "all-knowing" reference source on the spa city of Aachen, printen probably originated in Dinant, Belgium- home of the first bakery for moulded gingerbread. Thus, Germany’s neighbors invented these delicious sweets which are equally enjoyed by the Germans, Belgians and Dutch who not only share a common border near Aachen but also a sweet tooth! The Aachener species of this tasty baked art, so to speak, is a delicious contribution towards European unification!

Today’s chronicler has a difficult time of finding documentation in the annals and archives on the history of printen and its artistic forms. He or she must be satisfied with "historical morsels" of bakery history from the tradition-rich Aachener ("Öcher") printen bakers. Printen baker: this is, to some extent, an Aachener title of nobility in that the baker is the noble treasurer of a carefully kept family secret about the ingredients of the brown-baked delicacy! You, who are in the know, not only fantasize about the composition of the spice mixture but also widely speculate about the origin of these goods exported worldwide. And the daring of you allege: "Napoleon is to be blamed for everything- - even for the printen!"

Let us call Napoleon, the great Corsican, into the witness stand of history. He, who in the year 1806, imposed the continental blockade against England, agrees that although his large-scale attempt to decisively weaken the British through this blockade failed, it ultimately revived Europe’s inventive spirit in the food sector.

The best example for this: the Aachener printen bakers. They had to do without many spices and especially the American wild-flower honey, which before the blockade, was traded from England. True to the adage "necessity is the mother of invention", the bakers grabbed their molasses jar! Moreover, because Napoleon understandingly promoted the cultivation of sugar beets for reasons of continental self-sufficiency, there was now domestic sugar made from sugar beets to replace foreign sugar cane. However, with molasses and beet sugar, the printen dough became sticky and could no longer be pressed into the fine baking moulds. The taste was also different. Thus, the "rougher" molasses and beet sugar-containing "Napoleon"-printe was born...

But how did the moulded gingerbread come to Aachen? Once upon a time, there was not a master baker but rather a strapping representative of the Dinant bronze casting guild. He was present in Dinant, Belgium in 1620 during the casting of the statue of Charlemagne which should decorate the well in front of the Aachener City Hall - the bronze basin was being made simultaneously in the "Emperor’s City" of Aachen. Our caster from Dinant came to Aachen for the well construction - and during the breakfast break, offered the Aachener masters and apprentices some of his delicious homemade moulded gingerbread! And because they enjoyed it so much from the very first bite, the recipe was tried out in Aachener bakeries and improved upon. Because the moulded gingerbread specialty of Dinant can be traced back to the year 1000, printen are, indeed, part of a honorable tradition!"

Oh, you wanna try them? Noprob, again here we go:

For best results, use a kitchen scale to make these delicate, but delicious x-mas cookies from Germany.

500 grams dark syrup
3 tablespoons water
10 grams potash
1 tablespoon rum
150 grams rock candy
100 grams sugar
60 grams candied orange peel, finely chopped
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons aniseed, ground
2 teaspoons coriander, ground
1 pinch cloves, ground
600 grams flour
Some dark syrup and water

Heat syrup and water and then let it cool down until lukewarm. Dissolve potash in rum, beat the candy rock into small pieces and give both to all other ingredients and knead a dough out of it.
Let it rest for 5 days and then roll it out to a thickness of 1/4 inch and cut out rectangles of 1x2 inches. Grease the baking sheet and place the Printen with some distance to each other on the sheet. Preheat oven to a temperature of 350 F and bake the Printen for about 15 minutes. Glaze the cookies with a mixture of syrup and water and store in tins.

Perhaps a lil bit OT but i really can see Beppos smile, the best medicine i know (ehm well, perhaps the best medicine but... i prefer the method of The Countess :D)

the human searchengine

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
Originally posted by TitanBlue
Was it really baseball, not basketball?
Perhaps a lil bit OT but i really can see Beppos smile, the best medicine i know (ehm well, perhaps the best medicine but... i prefer the method of The Countess :D)
the human searchengine

Hey hey hey!
great stuff... never thought that such historical background and a "how to" can be found in the internet in english! Or have ya translated it yourself? (if so... a very good translation!)

oh and it was the European Baseball Championships. They took place in Bonn, Cologne and Solingen. The Final took place in Bonn.
for more infos about the Championships: http://www.baseball-em.de (german) (english)

And a BIG smile actually... thx for the "medicine" (both methods) :D

TitanBlue

Jul 27, 2001
Visit site
Easy Beppo, easy *lol* that would be too much to translate just for a little joke : )

no, just a brief google.com request for "printen" and thats it. On the first page you'll find all the infos i've needed for my little post :D

Ah yes, down in the "Rheinaue" i remember there's a baseball-field. Interesting! Didn't know which events we have *gg*

And now: Hands away from your computer and go to bed until you got well!

c ya