UE3 - UT3 Generate Unique UVs isn't working

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Asura

May 3, 2008
I've imported meshes that I exported from MAX. Each of these meshes has a single material with a single channel containing UVs.

Now, as I understand it, in order to enable lightmapping, I have to generate unique UVs on a new channel, and then set the "LightMapCoordinateIndex" to that channel, right?

So I click on file->generate unique UVs. The LOD is set to 0 (the only one), the UV channel to save results to I now set to 1 (to create a new channel) and I leave max stretching as 0.9.

Then I click "OK", and as far as I can tell, nothing is happening. Anyone know why? Have I missed a step somewhere?

Asura

May 3, 2008
[SAS]Solid Snake;2128630 said:
Why not generate them in Max itself? It isn't as if Unreal Editor does a better job.

That isn't quite the issue right now; I want to try Unreal's first to see what kind of job it does - then if it's unsatisfactory, create my own.

To be honest, all my UVs are currently unique as it is; is there no way to copy my current UVs to a second channel within Unreal?

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Well, if you already have unique UV's there no reason why to have a second UV map channel then. Usually the primary UV map channel tries to reuse as much of the texture as possible to increase detail without having a large texture to begin with. That doesn't work for light mapping unfortunately.

From my experience, Unreal does an okish job, but Max does it better (since that is what their application is about)