1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

General Protection Fault in multiplayer only, please help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by Wolfster, Jul 3, 2001.

1. travitsio

travitsio New Member

mine still doesn't work!!!

i just bought UT yesterday and experienced a very annoying general protection fault message. what will happen is
    1) i load UT
    2)i select Play (as opposed to Safe Mode)
    3) UT loads and the intro movie plays
    4) intro movie finishes and game screen is visible for very short time (not enought to move mouse anywhere)
    5)general protection fault shows up

the general protection fault message is

History:UModel::LineCheck <-CheckWithLevel<-ULeve::MultiLineCheck<-ULevel::MoveActor<-AActor::physFalling<-APawn::performPhysics<-AActor::Tick<-TickAllActors<-ULevel::Tick<-(Netmode=0)<-TickLevel<-UGameEngine::Tick<-UpdateWorld<-MainLoop

i tried OLO's solution but to no avail. any help would be appreciated.

2. Stormhowler

Stormhowler Necanthrope

try my solution at the top of page 3. maybe your server stats are still ****ed up in UT.
    The system console can be opened under tools in the UT main screen (where u select maps etc.)

hope it works for u also.

3. N_O_T_I__GER

N_O_T_I__GER New Member

hehe

Hi I suggest to open a complete new threat - couse this disscussion was about an very spcl. other FAILURE!
    And it is solved so not many players will read this one.

so long noti

4. Xhalted1

Xhalted1 Skilled

Re: mine still doesn't work!!!

Try installing the 436 patch or use a different Cd rom drive. UT always loads badly if I use my crd drive. No idea why.

5. weewilliewinkie

weewilliewinkie New Member

thanks to hald for his fix on this annoying problem, find new.net application in the control panel in the add/remove and get rid of it.
    it worked for me.
    tx again Hald:cool:

6. Cubadust

Cubadust New Member

July 4th the day that UT crashed...! (for good??)

I got the same problem started on July 4th too!

How can I get ride of it???

7. Busta Capp

Busta Capp New Member

See the post above yours.

See the post above yours.

8. Stryker8

Stryker8 New Member

here's my gpf, its just when i load ut, it gives me this (pic included)
    i tried the solution posted above and it found 0 suspicious keys, so that thing didn't worked, urgent help required plz

9. HowlingPhoeniX

HowlingPhoeniX New Member

I get a similar error, except not in UT, i get it with clive barker's undying. but they do run on the same engine so maybe that has something to do with it. I looked for the new.net thing in my programs but found nothing. now i'm gonna try the adaware program. maybe that will help.

10. afkik

afkik New Member

I have gotten those errors before but rarely. I just had one last night and it was the biggest one i have ever seen. I decided to take a screen shot of it...
    [​IMG]

Hope that makes you guys feel better ;)

11. HowlingPhoeniX

HowlingPhoeniX New Member

I think it had something to do with my sound card drivers..i tried reinstalling them and now it works perfect.

12. [UM]theswarm

[UM]theswarm Spork of the Apocalypse!

ok, i just tried to remove that new.net sh!t and add/remove programs froze!! bastards.:mad:

13. Samsoule

Samsoule New Member

it does the same for me! it freezes !!
    i do ctrl-alt-del ,and a file run32dll is the cause,i can't delete the new.net file.
    I m getting mad
    Help please
    Samsoule

14. Jaspov

Jaspov New Member

same here

Hello all,

I have the same problem. This is one of the few threads I found on this. Only some things are different.

I get exactly the error descibed, only I run windows XP and I am not infected with newdotnet. I got newdotnet a year ago when I still used w2k. I then removed it and have been using adaware ever since to stop it from ever getting on my pc again.

I have a clean install of xp and I use UT 4.36 (GOTY edition). It crashes right after it finds all servers and starts pinging.

Here is what I did:

-full scan with latest norton av 2002
    -full scan with adaware
    -full scan with the cleaner (trojans)

nothing found....I then tried

-d3d-opengl and software rendering
    -safe mode without sound

nothing mattered....

After reading this thread I also deleted the cache. Still crashes......

any clue anyone?

15. CYRIX2002

CYRIX2002 New Member

**POSSIBLE ANSWER**

I've been tangling with this problem for a while now . . . driving me nuts! There's a new D3Ddrive.DLL (or whatever the file is - I'm at work & I forget) - I just installed them into my system folder last night and -bingo-no more GPF's. HOWEVER the last thing my computer did last night was a video freeze-up where I couldn't even CTRL+ALT+DEL out of it. I love replacing an old problem with a new one. = )
    I use Windows 2000 Professional though, so you 98'ers might not have that problem. Give it a try. The files are on UnrealTournament.com
    GOOD LUCK!!

16. DeaJae

DeaJae taking a month's break

if thats the D3D.dll dated, hmmmm about may 2000 tehn its the buggy and designed for DX8. on win98 it will stay half screen and will never go back to full screen. not tried it with XP yet, last i heard on 2k it was much slower.

your notrunning a KT7 with SBlive by anychance?

17. CYRIX2002

CYRIX2002 New Member

<< your not running a KT7 with SBlive by anychance? >>

not a KT7, but I use Soundblaster Live! Platinum 5.1 (helluva card)
    I tried the suggested ad-aware fix (from OLO) and that seemed to do the trick. I also had a problem with the following
    CRITICAL ERROR:

Assertion Failed: something something something <-update world, etc.

- - looked an aweful lot like the GPF I was getting and I just solved that by increasing the file cache size in UnrealTournament.ini (go figure?)

Anyway, I'm just glad it works now . . . thanks so much to all who post here, you saved me alot of frustration and blind experimentation. I searched DEJA.COM newsgroups for months to find an answer and I just found it here in one day. Thank u all!!!!!!!!

Cyrix2002

18. CYRIX2002

CYRIX2002 New Member

By the way . . .

By the way, I ended up replacing the new D3D DLL file with the old one because it kept locking up my system. Guess the new & improved DLL needs to be further improved (as far as 2000 Professional goes anyway).