1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

General Protection Fault in multiplayer only, please help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by Wolfster, Jul 3, 2001.

1. Stormhowler

Stormhowler Necanthrope

additional solution

Here's something that worked for me:

go to system console and type preferences.
    Then under the heading networking -> Masterserveruplink-> DoUpLink should be set to true.

and Networking ->webserver-> bEnabled should also be set to true.

This immediately enabled me to start servers, which could be joined by humans and bots.

Of course, just to be sure I also did the Adware thingie :)

2. cube

cube New Member

IT worked!!!!!!!!!!! i deleted net applications by add/remove and POOF! thanks for all the help!

3. benlavigne

benlavigne New Member

Well I am glad to hear there is another solution. Don't listen to me guys. I may have been the first to find a cure but my way was not nearly as clean os OLOs ... Godd work man. Also anyone who used my method gets a rundll error and it has to do with that crazy newdotnet2_109.dll file. What a pain in the arse and why did we all get affected on july 3rd. Ahh well. Good work OLO

4. DarkByte

DarkByte LLama Killer

Thank you

Whoever found that the problem was cause by some crappy AdWare sh!t .. (yes AdWare is sh!t) ... well, a big thank you.

Also, let me point that i confirm what DrSiN said earlier. UT Scripting has very limited Off World (UT world of course) capabilities.

We do not have access to the file system directly. So its impossible to verify a file size or to just open a text file and read its content.

I'm sure other experienced UScripter will tell you the same.

But, if one starts to include Native code .. its a different story. CSHP does not use Native code (code stored in a .dll file on windows or a .so file on unix etc etc).

Hope this clear things up.

5. benlavigne

benlavigne New Member

Darkbyte...read the messages..LOL. Adware is not the cause. The crazy dll file got corrupted by something noone is sure of yet.

6. DarkByte

DarkByte LLama Killer

My guess would be a self upgrading (and screwing ur system) Adware sh|t. Just that their latest upgrade was bad.

But hey, i'm just trying to guess here !

7. Vernalex

Vernalex New Member

Perhaps...

First off, I never had this problem. I use Kali to list my servers because I don't much care for the ingame lister.
    -
    I have talked with several people who have this problem though. They tried many of the same steps some of you wrote about. Those include uninstalling the game, deleting the directory and reinstalling the game. They also tried reinstalling video card drivers (including DX8). But still they had the problem.
    -
    From this, it's either that a Windows file got modified outside of your UT directory (including the registry) or a mod. Now, it would be insane to go burying yourself in the registry to find the problem because UT (like Unreal) really only modifies file / protocol associations (.UNR and unreal://). And searching your hard-drive for modified files would be just silly. But if this were true, reinstalling your OS should fix it (but it may just happen again, may be some weird problem with your hardware).
    -
    The only other idea I could have is that it is a mod. If it is a mod, then it would have to be a fairly common one. For that reason, I would guess it to be CSHP (or perhaps Mapvote). It's possible they made an error, like someone says, that corrupts one of your files. It's also possible there's a hacked version of a mod out there (CSHP would be high on the list) that either wasn't done correctly or was meant to crash people. Now, the way to tell if it is mod related is to uninstall / delete / reinstall the game. If before you connect to ANY server you can't list servers, then this is most likely not the fault (unless that mod edited a system file on your computer).

8. benlavigne

benlavigne New Member

Darkbyte you don't read much do you....IT WAS NOT ADWARE!!! I don't even use adware. Adware is the solution not the problem. Wow!!!

9. ION_Ace

ION_Ace Assault player

I'll quote the fix again

and benlavigne, I could be mistaken but the way I understand it, is..

A part of spyware/adware of “new.net” is causing the problem and a program called Ad-aware is the solution.

So Darkbyte is right adware/spyware is the cause (unless I am mistaken).

10. daimj69

daimj69 New Member

Thanks a million

Well my first post, and I just wanna say thanks very much to all you guys for sorting this rather annoying problem out, especially you OLO. Happy fragging :).

11. Wolfster

Wolfster New Member

olo you rock!

what a nice simple solution to a truely frustrating problem. olo you rock man! after downloading the ad-aware program it took like 1 minute to solve this problem. thank you :)

12. AriTheDog

AriTheDog frog steering expert

yeah, thanks guys!

problem solved!

13. PinkVelvet

PinkVelvet New Member

Thank you to ad-aware from Lavasoft.

Mmh, it found 97 files, removed them and now I'm fine...

How can an operating system allow to exchange the winsock.dll without asking?

How comes there are no automatic logs of which program dialled when to what site?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2001
  14. qazix

qazix Lost

Laff. :D

Haha, poor losers. Guess next time you might want to disable "active" scripting in Outlook and IE. Heh.

Spyware that sneaks in through email/websites/downloaded software possibly replaces system files.. That's just lovely. I'm glad that my computer is free of operating systems and applications with Gaping Security Holes(tm).

15. 762x39mm

762x39mm New Member

i have the same problem as you guys it cant be in the cache be cause i dont have anything in it since the reinstall also i have reformatted in the past two weeks and have a fresh set of windows with the newest drivers for my hardware...all of it
    some times it will get to 25% or more b4 it crashes sometimes it wont bring up a one so what gives my wife isnt having troubles and she plays just as much at me...so go figure

16. 762x39mm

762x39mm New Member

this is bs i ran the ad 5.5 and still nothing

17. 762x39mm

762x39mm New Member

im at a loss

18. 762x39mm

762x39mm New Member

i got rid of all but 4 files and it wont let me dump em cuz windows is using them

19. 762x39mm

762x39mm New Member

ok i got it thanx for all your help in solving this little problem

20. madclerk

madclerk what the Mo0o0o0o0o0o is that?

[​IMG]

ok, i had the general protection fault. i used Adware to correct it, but it ****ed up my entire system, so i spent this morning reinstalling my entire system.
    Now i get a critical error when i goto join to certain CTF servers. it so far has only occured with CTF servers and no other servers. also the inbuilt irc program wont conect to the channel that i want it too.

Can someone please help me with this.
    thanx