General Protection Fault in multiplayer only, please help

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SuperD[C1]

[C1] is dead. {PC} 0wnz j00
Apr 12, 2000
Rockville, MD
i.am
the 1979 news network brings you the following news flash.

HUNDREDS OF UNREAL TOURNAMENT ONLINE PLAYERS HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING GPF (GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT) ERRORS IN THE LAST FEW DAYS. WHILE UNCONFIRMED, IT IS BELEIVED THAT THE POPULAR ANTI-CHEAT MUTATOR CSHP (CLIENT SIDE HACK PROTECTOR) MAY BE THE CAUSE.

WHILE NO DOCUMENTED FIX HAS BEEN LOCATED AT THIS TIME, IT IS SUGGESTED THAT USERS CLEAR OUT THERE CACHE FILE BEFORE REINSTALLING UT.

More examples at:

http://ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=115196

and

http://utassault.monsterkill.net/showthread.php?threadid=2215

Wolfster

Jul 3, 2001
Visit site
cshp 48 was the last thing i downloaded in my cache. but to be fair to the cshp people i have no idea if their latest version caused this problem.

Busta Capp

May 11, 2001
UK
Visit site
A cure for now.

TEMPORARY CURE

Everyone mullah has pointed to gamespy arcade. It actually works. you can play ut online - it works for me and I am a fellow sufferer. I am so happy to at least be able to play online again.

Because my UT is wrecked it only connects to servers while the games off (auto starts ut and plonks you straight into a server) but normally you should be able to join and leave servers whilst keeping ut running.

Its a load of poo really because of that but at least you can play UT online until a fix is resolved.

Download it at

http://www.gamespy.com

benlavigne

Jul 5, 2001
www.ogre.nl
Ok...I had the same problem just a couple nights ago. Confused the hell out of me being a network admin and all. Well within 10 minutes I decided to delete all devices in the device manager (After trying to reinstall UT unsuccesfully). Deleted them all from safe mode of course and the re-booted. All the drivers loaded back up and I have not had the problem since. What a weird problem.... Anyways I suggest you do the same. But make sure you know what you are doing because if you don't you could cause harm to your system. Basically Re-boot into safe mode. Go into device manager. Delete all devices including system resources and then reboot. Windows98 will automatically detect all your devices and you may have to reboot several times. Then you have to reconfigure your network card with the IP and DNS and all that and you are done. You will most likely get a Illegal Operation run32.dll error once this is done since I have performed this fix on 2 computers and both did the same thing. You will also most like have to delete the 2 Direct Memory Access devices because one of them will have an ! next to it. And Both keyboards as well. You will also need to delete both video cards if it loaded a standard vga controller and install the driver from the original disk or cd. To get rid of the run32.dll error just re-install windows which may tak another 30 minutes. A full one hour job will get you computer back into tip top shape.

Hope this helps you guys out.

Thanks
{Ogre}Yodaman

Last edited:

DrSiN

Mar 11, 2000
www.creativecarnage.com
Re: the 1979 news network brings you the following news flash.

Originally posted by SuperD[C1]
HUNDREDS OF UNREAL TOURNAMENT ONLINE PLAYERS HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING GPF (GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT) ERRORS IN THE LAST FEW DAYS. WHILE UNCONFIRMED, IT IS BELEIVED THAT THE POPULAR ANTI-CHEAT MUTATOR CSHP (CLIENT SIDE HACK PROTECTOR) MAY BE THE CAUSE.

What wonderful hysteria!

I have been getting a few emails on this and have also been pointed here and a few other threads. Let’s me try and clear up some things:

(A) I have no idea why people are crashing.

(B) It’s doubtful CSHP is causing it. None of the crash logs mention CSHP.

(C) Until you physically connect to a server running CSHP it isn’t even loaded. Same goes for any mutator you download from a server. UT loads as needed.

(D) Yes, CSHP does happen to crash directly after a player who is cheating notifies the server. However this is a hard lockup that requires either a reboot (Win98) or manual termination of the process (WinNT/Win2K). It does not to my knowledge a GPF.

(E) Uscript is like java and runs in a virtual machine (of sorts). Nothing done in Uscript can “screw up” windows. Uscript can’t “Screw up your registry” it can’t “reformat your harddrive”, etc.

(F) UT doesn’t really add much to the registry (only some file association links) so it’s doubtful that UT can corrupt your registry.

Now I will say this. If you are using a modified epic package (for example, I remember there being a modifed ubrowser.u) and you CONNECT to a CSHP server >4y you will be reported as a cheat and your game will crash. The answer is just remove the modified package.

I also wouldn’t reinstall windows for ANY reason unless problems are appearing elsewhere.

benlavigne

Jul 5, 2001
www.ogre.nl
Dr Sin. No offense but I don't understand what exactly the problem is but re-installing windows does not hurt anything at anytime so why would you not do it under ANY circumstances... Maybe you need to get hands on troubleshooting with this problem to understand how to fix it. I had tried everything including deleting all registry entries for UT. Trust me people my solution works if you are carefull and know what you are doing.

benlavigne

Jul 5, 2001
www.ogre.nl
Ok guys I have verified with mic-mac that this solution does work. I went through step by step with him and he has a working copy of UT again.

Thanks
{Ogre}Yodaman

Olympus

Redemeers are your friend
Jul 4, 2001
Daytona Beach, FL USA
Visit site
re-install windows ?

benlavigne, So basically what your saying is re-install windows ? ... could you try just uninstalling your network card of using a cable modem, or modem id using dial up ......... ?

OLO

Jul 5, 2001
Visit site
I think it has to do with “newdotnet2_109.dll” (spyware module part of “new.net”?, ren&del wont work) it’s doing something to Winsock2. Haw many of you have “newdotnet2_109.dll” and when was created? (My on 07-03-01)

My problem started on 07-03-2001 as most of you.
Ok now how I fixed my computer.
1. Download "Ad-aware Release 5.5"
2. Install it.
3. Run the program:
a. select “Scan Registry”
b. “Scan now”
c. ”Continue”
d. select all (I had 13)
e. “Backup”(if you want)
f. “Continue”(on the end I got message “Previous Winsock2 configuration has been restored”?)
4. Restart computer
aaw.gif

Last edited:

mic-mac

Jul 4, 2001
www.geocities.com
Originally posted by benlavigne
Ok guys I have verified with mic-mac that this solution does work. I went through step by step with him and he has a working copy of UT again.

Thanks
{Ogre}Yodaman

Yup yoda is a GENIUS. Lets just call him god for the momment

THanks again

micmac.jpg

Olympus

Jul 4, 2001
Daytona Beach, FL USA
Visit site
I have the cure

This was originally posted by "olo" his e-mail is olo111@hotmail.com , he posted this in another forum on here it works ....... i did it on mine. any questions post them here and ill try to help you or you can e-mail him too.

I think it has to do with “newdotnet2_109.dll” (spyware module part of “new.net”?, ren&del wont work) it’s doing something to Winsock2. Haw many of you have “newdotnet2_109.dll” and when was created? (My on 07-03-01)

2. Install it.
3. Run the program:
b. “Scan now”
c. ”Continue”
d. select all (I had 13)
e. “Backup”(if you want)
f. “Continue”(on the end I got message “Previous Winsock2 configuration has been restored”?)
4. Restart computer

here is the link for the program that will fix it:
http://cnet.com/downloads/0-10106-100-6372708.html?tag=st.dl.10001-103-1.lst-7-1.6372708

Olympus

Olympus

Jul 4, 2001
Daytona Beach, FL USA
Visit site
oops

i posted my last thread in the wrong forum ....... see what happens when ya have mulitple windows open on yer desktop ...... THANK YOU OLO ...... YOU ARE THE MAN !!! WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOO .......... im "Bowing Down"

Olympus

Jul 4, 2001
Daytona Beach, FL USA
Visit site
THE CURE IS HERE

OlympusThis was originally posted by "olo" his e-mail is olo111@hotmail.com , he posted this in another forum on here HE GETS ALL THE CREDIT !! ..... im just apssing it along to everyone here, this thing works ....... i did it on my computer .... loaded all my servers right up and joined a game with no problems !!!. any questions post them here and ill try to help you.

(olo's original post below:)

2. Install it.
3. Run the program:
b. “Scan now”
c. ”Continue”
d. select all (I had 13)
e. “Backup”(if you want)
4. Restart computer

here is the link for the program that will fix it:
http://cnet.com/downloads/0-10106-1...lst-7-1.6372708

Hald

Jul 6, 2001
Visit site
I tried the ad-aware fix, however removing the files left my computer unable to access the internet.

Any ideas?

(Interestingly newdotnet2_109.dll has been giving me trouble while downloading files from ie too.)

Hald

Jul 6, 2001
Visit site
Disregard my previous post. The simplest way to remove this junk is use add/remove programs. Find something called "new.net application" and kick its ass out of your computer.

Next, make sure to write a very angry and nasty letter to new.net, makers of this outstanding little program.

N_O_T_I__GER

Jul 4, 2001
germany/munich
www.zonekillers.de
wow OLO

ok benlavigne
solution also work --- course he is reinstalling ( also winsock ) OS new with allot of problems that could come up ( Uhahhahahah iam afraid of such **** )

but the solution of OLO is PERFECT i really want 2 say THANK YOU VERY MUCH - you are my personal Hero :) 4 now and for a long time .

Just by the way i tried Addaware 4.2 ( i think it was 2 ) course i had thought in that direction 2 - i scanned my complete PC with Norton and Mc. Avee ( i thought it must be a worm, trojan or virus ) but the old version of addaware doesn’t found anything but the new Version 5.5 found and i get rid of the MOFO newdotnet2_109.dll .

Thank again OLO

How to tell the MOFO which programmed newdotnet2_109.dll that they are big sucking bloody **** ****ing kind of ......uhhhh sorry i really fell:mad: about those as..... damm again... tz tz tz

c y soon out there :)
noti