1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

General Protection Fault in multiplayer only, please help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by Wolfster, Jul 3, 2001.

1. IEatShrew

IEatShrew New Member

shrew

Lol, I came here looking to post my problem but instead I found that lotsa other people are having the same problems on the same few days!

I have the exact same problem, only whilst trying to play Infiltration (haven't tried vanilla UT yet), It'll show a few servers then *boom* quit to the desktop with the error. It happened yesterday too, but I was playing fine on the weekend.

And if Gamespy has anything to do with it.. Ticked me off with File Planet but now they are messing with UT? :mad:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2001
  2. Olympus

Olympus Redemeers are your friend

Game Related Problem

I believe it has to be something with a mod that we downloaded when entering a game ...... something that alters a windows setting somehow .... We've all been playing for awhile with no problems and now BLAM ! ...... I've reinstalled the game and the latest patch, have updated drivers and scanned my hard drive and scanned for viruses. Everything checks A-ok ....... except i cant download my damn servers and play. I can still enter direct sing "open location" option ...... better than nothing i guess. I guess i can pray for a fix :)

3. ION_Ace

ION_Ace Assault player

edit : it's not cshp

Last edited: Jul 6, 2001
  4. Wolfster

Wolfster New Member

ah well no luck so far. i've deleted the most recent versions of cshp in my cache folder. i was hoping that since versions 42 thru 48 all came out within a week (thats an exaggeration) that maybe the cause to our problems was in there. btw cshp 48 was the last thing in my cache before my problems started. but really whats that proof of? zilch! the problem may be with the gamespy server, but why only a handful of people? since we can play offline but not online it seems that something has screwed up our ut browser. i'm also getting some weird "out of memory" warnings when i screw around with my ut .ini. strange stuff.

5. Swedix

Swedix Retired from UT2004

Can someone post their unrealtournament.ini here.
    Zip the file and attach it to your post.
    Also you can post the contents of your cache.ini - file

6. Swedix

Swedix Retired from UT2004

You can also post your unrealtournament.log
    Maybe some one can find out from that what's causing the errors.

7. N_O_T_I__GER

N_O_T_I__GER New Member

me again :eek:(

it have nothing with the cache 2 do. couse i reinstalled it now for 3 times :eek:) and the cache is empty. Ok it could be that from downloading an update like cshp or something it changed something at the windows (?config?) so that this problem is still there - also after re-installing UT. Doese somebody already re-installed the OS ( I use win 98 )????

And pls post the correct email adress to send an email to UT_tech-people`s :)

ciao 4 now :)

8. Olympus

Olympus Redemeers are your friend

9. Busta Capp

Busta Capp New Member

Me too.

I have posted to epic support.

I have this message also.

Can I ask - and I don't want to annoy - but have any of you had any cheats installed either in the past or recently?

here is my error message..

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2001
  10. Wolfster

Wolfster New Member

cheats, never used them. anyone who wants a good laugh i play under the same name in ut, look up them god awful stats. lol theres like 5 or 6 wolfsters, i'm the one with the most stats. now when i try to go online i can at least stay on the news page. i use to get booted right away. of course as soon as i click on a tab i get the error message.

11. Busta Capp

Busta Capp New Member

I can't even stay on the news page.

try going here

http://www.midnightinteractive.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/post.cgi?action=new&forum=1

this is the official CSHP writers site. Tell him about this thread.

Also go to epicgames.com and find the support page.

I may have some answers come monday evening, I have a boffin assigned to my case and he's confident he'll sort it without a format.

p.s. Has anyone actually tried a format yet?

12. MxFxSunrise

MxFxSunrise New Member

This is some screwed up **** I have never got that error before but eversince about 2 days ago it started happening. Whenever I go to hit the Mulitplayer option in the menu UT bombs to windows with this error:
    [​IMG]
    My specs are:
    -PII 300
    -320 MB SDRAM PC133
    -Voodoo 3 3000
    -Aureal Vortex 2 Quad PCI
    -Cable Modem
    -Windows ME

It's so frustrating I think I am going to buy a gun and shoot some innocent llamas. I mean even reinstalling won't help! BAHHHH :mad:

13. DeeperShade

DeeperShade Banned

Need I point out that your message pertains to GSpy or Gamespy. They've been having server problems recently, so it might be connected to that.

14. Nyd@

Nyd@ New Member

well you all arent going to like this.......

I have a friend who had this exact same problem about a month ago, he tried everything and finally had to upgrade to ME which fixed it but then he rembered how bad ME sucks and had to format back to win98.
    this is a major problem and now im paranoid that its going to happen to me

15. Diving Mullah

Diving Mullah New Member

16. Busta Capp

Busta Capp New Member

MULLAH!

MULLAH!

You can still play using gamespy? What is this? Where can I get it, how does it work??

17. cube

cube New Member

well i know feel better..im not the only one with this problem..iv done everything to reinstall game to drivers to patches to even running virus checks everything i can think of someone plz solve this problem!!!!

18. Diving Mullah

Diving Mullah New Member

game spy is an external server that looks for the type of game that you wanne play online like Q3, or UT and so on.

It does take a some time ... maybe few mintues to look up for all the server, you can set some filter to look for CTF maps or just post servers with ping < certain numbers.

Then by clicking on the selected list it launches the program you can get it at

http://gamespy3d.com/

I don't like it that much casue it is too slow and does not update as fast, but for now it is the only thing I have!!!

Mullah

19. ION_Ace

ION_Ace Assault player

edit : it's not gamespy

Last edited: Jul 6, 2001
  20. pizziman

pizziman New Member

i have sthis prob too....did it start yesterday, as it did for alot of us?
    i have talked to techs at infrogames and they think it has to do with my cable connection!

are you guys on cable?

i dont think this is it!!

call infrogames now: 425-951-7106