1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

General Protection Fault in multiplayer only, please help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by Wolfster, Jul 3, 2001.

1. Wolfster

Wolfster New Member

hey guys i need some help. i've been playing ut for entirely to long and for the first time i got this general protection fault message but only in multiplayer. the message is as follows

General Protection Fault!

History:AUdpLink::Tick<-TickAllActors<-ULevel:Tick<-[Netmode=0]<-TickLevel<-UGameEngine::Tick<-UpdateWorld<-MainLoop

anyone got a clue whats going on????? i'm not too good with these things, if i had to guess i'd say my ut has developed a nervous tick,lol. any help would be appreciated. thanks

2. 8-4-7-2

8-4-7-2 New Member

3. Wolfster

Wolfster New Member

these are my specs (please dont laugh because ut has run really well on them)

pentium2 450
    192 MB ram
    voodoo3
    running the 436 patch
    damn slow 56k modem (thats just a rant)

my system specs have stayed the same for awhile, the last upgrade i made was 3 months ago from 128 to 192 ram. ut has always run well on my comp until today. single player works fine (but who plays single player anyway) its when i try to go online that the error message shows up. maybe a file got corrupted???

btw 8-4-7-2 wolfster is short for wolf-359, from one geek to another, lol

4. RatX

RatX New Member

Wolf ! I generate the exact same error!

History:AUdpLink::Tick<-TickAllActors<-ULevel:Tick<-[Netmode=0]<-TickLevel<-UGameEngine::Tick<-UpdateWorld<-MainLoop

Whenever, I try to search for UT servers I begin to see the list then I crash to desktop with the above error:
    I un-installed UT using the CD then deleted the UT folder, I then searched the registry "regedit" using "FIND"in an attempt to locate a lost/unlocatable file concerning UT; non-located.
    I then Re-installed UT, added BP1 + BP2 + innox pak and BP4, then I installed the UT patch 4.36.
    Additionally, I re-installed DX8 to be on the safe side.
    I completely shutdown my computer and re-booted!

ABSOLUTELY NO HELP; I GET THE SAME ERROR AS ABOVE !

I even re-installed my Hercules GF2 Pro64 drivers; still no correction!

SPECS:
    P3-933
    VC820MB (intel)
    256meg RDRAM
    GF2 Hercules Pro 64meg
    32X CD ROM (creative labs)
    Cable internet
    Sound Blaster Live

Honestly, everything was working concerning UT for the last year, only today did I notice this error.
    Oddly, If I type a server IP in "Open Location" it will work without crashing to desktop. However, I cannot use the UT server search to list available servers.

I certainly hope this problem can be resolved since I have absolutely no other idea to try.....

Please anyone...........

RAT|RatX.
    Alex.

5. Wolfster

Wolfster New Member

here's part of my ut log file, specifically the part where it seems to go to hell.

Log: Resolving unreal.epicgames.com...
    Log: Resolved unreal.epicgames.com (216.27.43.133)
    ScriptLog: Ping Timeout from 194.42.225.230. Attempt 1
    ScriptLog: Ping Timeout from 212.162.240.65. Attempt 1
    ScriptLog: Ping Timeout from 194.42.225.230 Giving Up
    Critical: AUdpLink::Tick
    Critical: TickAllActors
    Critical: ULevel::Tick
    Critical: (NetMode=0)
    Critical: TickLevel
    Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
    Critical: UpdateWorld
    Critical: MainLoop
    Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
    Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
    Exit: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError
    Exit: UGlideRenderDevice::ShutdownAfterError
    Exit: Exiting.
    Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
    Uninitialized: Log file closed, 07/03/01 23:55:41

any ideas about whats going on??????

6. Olympus

Olympus Redemeers are your friend

Guys, i get the same error

The game hung up when i was going from one game to another, now i cant start my own multiplayer game or join a multiplayer game. I've completely uninstalled UT and reinstalled it with the 4.36 patch. It does the same exact thing now as it did before.

My system specs:
    AMD 1.2 Ghz Thunderbird
    512 mb Ram
    Geforce3 Video Card (12.41 nvidia drivers)
    Hercules Game Theater XP
    Pioneer DVD drive
    Boomslang 2000
    Cable Modem Connection using Network Card

HELP PLEASE

7. RatX

RatX New Member

Friend, im LOST !

I have no desire to re-install UT again; i tried 4X.

I hope this problem will be resolved because I cannot figure it out!
    I un-installed MSN messenger thinking it was conflicting; that was not the case.

HELP!

RAT|RatX
    Alex.

8. Swedix

Swedix Retired from UT2004

It can be hard to track this problem down.
    First, I assume you have checked your PC for viruses. Be sure you have updated the antivirus program.
    Check for new drivers for your hardware. Videocard, soundcard, if you have VIA-chipset, get the latest VIA-drivers.
    Try some tweaking. You find some tweaks here and here .
    Be sure you don't have programs running in the background which interfere. Run msconfig and check the startup-tab.
    Disable programs you don't need. See here .
    What OS do you have? Maybe you need a servicepack.

9. Olympus

:)

I can use the "open location" feature and put the address for the server i want to play on in and it will connect no problem. I think its has something to do with the game that when it hangs up or "gets confused" it in turn corrupts a windows based file ........ the only problem is no one knows what that is and how to fix it.

10. N_O_T_I__GER

N_O_T_I__GER New Member

same shi.... over here

i have the same problems now after playing this game since 2 yrs.
    i use the same hardware all the time :eek:)
    so i am sure that it ain’t have something 2 do with Hardware problems - really 100% also i have a couple of other games running without any problems like FORSAKEN; MECHWARRIOR4 VEN. Quake, Revolt, Descent all Multiplayer but NO problems over there. only playing UT and only starting an Multiplayer game ( does not matter if SERVER is published or ZONE stats are on or off )
    BUT i changed a bit from the Msconfig.exe and i turned all changes back ( hopefully ) but iam really 90% sure that it messed up something in there :eek:( . reinstall of UT or drivers etc.p.p. does not changed anything always one of the following ERRORS

or

History:AUdpLink::Tick<-TickAllActors<-ULevel:Tick<-[Netmode=2]<-TickLevel<-UGameEngine::Tick<-UpdateWorld<-MainLoop

So if somebody of you find a solution ( except to buy an new PC ) pls send me an email - i really appreciate that :eek:)

thx 4 now c y soon :eek:)

11. Wolfster

Wolfster New Member

yeah, i havent changed my system configuration for awhile so i'm positive its not a hardware problem. my guess (and its really a guess) is that

#1 something has changed with the master server and for some reason it has effected just a few of us. ( i doubt it)

#2 maybe one of the new versions of mapvote or cshp is causing an error. (more likely?????)

like i've said before i'm not really good with these things. where does cshp go on the comp when its downloaded????? i can find the mapvote but not cshp. i'd like to take a look at the newer versions of cshp to see if there might be a problem in it. as for viruses, i guess its possible but i highly doubt it. i'm starting to think that i downloaded something from a server and it had an undesireable effect. that would also explain why a few of us are having the same problem.

12. Swedix

Swedix Retired from UT2004

All files you downlaod from servers are stored in your UnrealTournament\Cache-folder. They are stored with names containing numbers and letters. In your Cache.ini which also are in your cache-folder you can see what file are what.
    You should never install i.e. make any of those files permanent.
    Only servers install MapVote and CSHP. The files you as client need are downloaded from the server and stored in you cache-folder if don't allready have those files there.
    There are some lines in your UnrelTournament.ini for MapVote and maybe CSHP for the configuration and you can delete those lines safety.

13. Jodeci4l

Jodeci4l New Member

I have the same problem, with the same critical fault error that sends me back into windows. I can't host or play in a multiplayer game. I've never had this problem before. My configuration hasn't changed for a year.

--------------------------------------------------
    850 Antholon
    Abit KA7
    41 gig IBM Desktar
    128 Corsair PC 133 RAM
    32 mb GEFORCE PRO

14. |pOt|fArMeRx

|pOt|fArMeRx 3rd degree CD burns

looks like this is all happening today, july 4th..

15. N_O_T_I__GER

N_O_T_I__GER New Member

i work on this problem now for 11 hours :-( but no result. Iam not able to join any INTERNET game ( when he is searching for Servers on the end i will have an VERY BIG Critical error message.

or if i want to host or just choose a multiplayer game - i will have OUR same error.

The Message apears at the moment when all bots joined and i join the game iam able to have a look at the Map approx. 1/2 second and than the crital error message pops up :-( iam rally very.......throw a reedemer on it and shoot with akimboinstagib that fu...... pc to hell :)

so let me know if you found any solution - please.

Jusat by the way my specs are
    P II 350
    196 ram- pc 100
    riva tnt II pro
    6BX-Board but iam really sure it is NOT an Hardware Problem or an driver problem .

16. Aertyme

Aertyme New Member

General Protection Fault

I received the same error message when trying to play multiplayer internet last night and today. Worked fine when choosing a location, but failed when using the browser to find other internet games

The error occured as the browser was locating active games.
    It also seemed that the bowser was finding many more active servers than usual (over 3000).

I have not changed my configuration since install.

What up?

17. Olympus

gpf problem

Seems to me it may not be us then ...... it seems pretty strange that people are having problems out of the blue. Start e-mailing the problem to unreal, if we flood them they will have to address it.

18. ION_Ace

ION_Ace Assault player

edit : it's not cshp

Last edited: Jul 6, 2001
  19. |pOt|fArMeRx

|pOt|fArMeRx 3rd degree CD burns

i have a feeling its CSHP related...

everything was all good until I downloaded a recent version of it, how much of a coincidence can it be ?

20. mic-mac

mic-mac New Member

I got the same prob too, been playing UT for about 1 1/2 years now and have changed nothing, then yesterday(July 3rd) this f***** thing pops up when i go to the multiplayer menu
    [​IMG]

Ive heard that this could be gamespy related, any bright ideas

[​IMG]