Gametypes (General Discussion)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I know we have a Core Gametype thread but that's for, well, core gametypes. I'm here to discuss gametypes in general. More specifically, which ones we should have ship with the game when it's fully made.

Now one thing everyone needs to remember is, gametypes change what the point of the game is and how one gets there. Mutators change how the game itself will be played. Always keep this in mind when thinking of gametypes to put in.

Having said that, some gametypes will obviously require more exclusive content for that gametype (Warfare/Onslaught needing vehicles for example) than others. We probably shouldn't have very many of these.

So first, around how many should we devote to developing then?

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I think you may have missed the point somewhere along the line - the game will never really be "fully made" - it's an essentially ongoing project that will develop over time and roll with the punches - this thread is a bit redundant ;)

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I think you may have missed the point somewhere along the line - the game will never really be "fully made" - it's an essentially ongoing project that will develop over time and roll with the punches - this thread is a bit redundant ;)
Well, in that case, may I suggest...

ALL OF TEH GAMETYPES!!11

In seriousness though, here's my preferred list.

Deathmatch
Team Deathmatch
Capture The Flag
Invasion
Last Man Standing
Team Last Man Standing
Mutant
Domination
Assault
Warfare/Onslaught

King of the Hill
Team Doubles
Infection
Greed
Bombing Run
Race
Bunny Track

The bolded ones are musts IMAO.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
GREED or GTFO.

There's one catch with this one: This gametype gets extremely intense when there's a lot of skulls out, to the point that one score can end the game, but the only way you got there in UT3 was via Titans.

Instead of Titans, make all the power ups spawn via some sort of skull dispenser. Amp & Armor were given with certain skull accumulations anyway...

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Free for All
Team Deathmatch
Tournament
Capture the Flag
Harvester
Overload
One Flag
Last Man Standing
Elimination
Elimination CTF
Domination
Double Domination

Blade_hunter

Unreal tournament mod dude
Jan 23, 2008
DM/TDM
CTF/VCTF/BR
ONS/VASSAULT/VSiege
ASSAULT/Siege
Invasion/MonsterHunt

I would like to see few new gametypes but I want those mainly

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
Greed is currently a very popular UT3 game type online. I do not play it. But it should be a must have game type due to it's current popularity.

I never liked Titans or what they brought to the game. I am told they are critical to the Greed game type. I do not see it. No Titans for me.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
I think CTF and TDM should have a round option. Lets say after someone caps the flag the round should respawn the players at their base without losing their inventory. When this even happens, it should wait 3 seconds after the flag was capped and a 5 seconds countdown should announce the players before respawning. The announcement should be something like.. "Next round in... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1..." and players get respawned at their starting area. I bet the players will go nuts grabbing all they can before being respawned and would make the game more interesting.

As for TDM, it should have some options like Number of rounds, round time, and max game time. It could also depend on a number of team-frags to end each round before round time runs out.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
Might be unpopular but I think they should "ship" with only the basics. DM, TDM, CTF then either ONS or Assault. Thats it, let the community develop the other modes, the game will be tighter and has a chance to be more populated with less gametype choices imnsho . . .

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Deathmatch
Team Deathmatch
Capture The Flag
Invasion
Last Man Standing
Team Last Man Standing
Mutant
Domination
Assault
Warfare/Onslaught

King of the Hill
Team Doubles
Infection
Greed
Bombing Run
Race
Bunny Track

The bolded ones are musts IMAO.
I like this list...though I have honestly never heard bunny track and I would personally like to see both WAR and ONS with a defined difference worked out between the 2.

Screw Titans. That shit ruined all the official servers :/
+1

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
Might be unpopular but I think they should "ship" with only the basics. DM, TDM, CTF then either ONS or Assault. Thats it, let the community develop the other modes, the game will be tighter and has a chance to be more populated with less gametype choices imnsho . . .

Oh noes! Forgot Greed!

My list would be

DM/TDM
CTF/VCTF
ONS/WAR
GREED
Assault (if some classic assault maps are shipped with the release)

I realy liked Bombing Run and had moments of fun in Domination but I don;t think either really ever had a big enough impact to be 'official' anymore. and I'm still of the opinion that less is more with initially released gametypes. Afterall, I really want CTF4 and Jailbreak for the new UT :)

Last edited:

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
I'd be good with the standard DM, TDM, and CTF, but...

...I also like King of the Hill (with optional timed moving hills) and any other game types that draw the focus of action around the maps. Multi-hill or random capture point type maps work well I think too.