1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GameSpy shutting down all hosting

Discussion in 'Games' started by zynthetic, Apr 4, 2014.

1. zynthetic

zynthetic robot!

Get it while it lasts. GameSpy is shutting down all hosting services May 31.
    Not really a big deal for newer games (past decade) but it may be the only place to find older mods, etc...

2. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

UT3 - Dead.
    UT2004 - Dead.
    UT - Dead.
    Unreal - Dead.
    Borderlands - Dead.

What else? Tons of crap. GTA4, RDR, all Wii online games, all the ARMA games, several Capcom games.......

3. WGH

WGH New Member

That's why I feel that relying on third-party service is always a bad idea, be it GameSpy, or even Steam, or anything else.

Frankly speaking, I even feel uncomfortable for using Gmail myself, since I have been already bitten by closure of Google Reader.

To derail the thread even further, I'd like to say that even though Richard Stallman's is right regarding non-free software, non-free services (are free services really possible?) are much more serious issue. You have a bit of control over non-free software, but you have none over services.

4. FlashIV

FlashIV King of the Impossible

Wow, it'll be interesting to see what comes of this. So, on June 1st, if I boot up UT2k4 what would happen? Empty server browser? Are there any games that will be completely broken?

5. AlCapowned

AlCapowned Member

I'm hoping this is already done:

On Epic's forums, Flak says UT3 is safe. No mention of the others, though.

6. TWD

TWD Cute and Cuddly

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  7. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

I guess the big question is will we still be able to play UT, UT2004 and UT3 online this summer and beyond?

8. Sir_Brizz

They have been relaying through Gamespy for ages. I imagine they could host it themselves and tell people to switch the URL in their config, but it won't be automatic...

It's interesting that they say UT3 is safe. I wonder how.

9. WGH

WGH New Member

Interesting, didn't know that. I also thought UT2004/UT master server was hosted by Epic from top to bottom.

For the record, here's full quote of Flak's post:
    These "few steps locally" bother me, though. I'm afraid the solution might be as terrible as the one when one had to run the game with superuser rights to see all the servers (due to GameSpy bug, yeah).

10. -Jes-

-Jes- Tastefully Barking

I doubt the same solution Epic is cooking up for UT3 will find it's way down to 2k4 and '99.

Unfortunate, but who didn't see this one coming eventually?

11. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Well-Known Member

Fuck you gamespy, google, facebook, mozzila, yahoo, fuck lamespy. </classic>

12. Sir_Brizz

Great. That probably means manually changing the master server in the config files, which is a really bad solution but better than nothing I guess.

13. Leo(T.C.K.)

I thought gamespy was integral part of ut3 and the login/account system. So most likely there will have to be patch/crack to remove this...

14. GEx.ut

GEx.ut GEx

UT for all I know, used 2 master servers, 1 by Epic (which is shut down a while ago already) and the GameSpy one. There is an alternative cooking up, called 333networks:
    http://333networks.com/masterserver

R.I.P GameSpy, and f*** you Glu!

15. Raynor.Z

Raynor.Z Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus

UT online play will prevail, fortunately there's alternatives being worked on.
    But for example, what will happen to 360/PS3 versions of UT3?

16. Leo(T.C.K.)

Did those depend on gamespy to begin with? I doubt it.
    Besides I think Epic could put some forwarding so out of the box stuff will be searchable without needing to modify config etc.
    Also this kind of shit happened way early with u2xmp, just mere months after the launch. Epic did not come with solution even though it wasnt really their game.
    Also what about other old games?
    Now I realize, Daikatana has ingame browser dependand on gamespy master server too. There has been a spring of interest in the game when the free daikatana dm(with removed singleplayer and coop) was released in 2007. However this means all remaining Daikatana servers will die.
    What will Romero do about it?!
    ROMEROOOO!!!! YOU CAN'T LET YOUR MASTERPIECE TO DIE!!!11
    :lol:

17. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Member

Hopefully something will come so that UT/UT2004 online play can continue. I know third party master servers exist for Unreal.

UT3's "brilliant" account system was always troublesome though. No internet connection? No saved games or settings for you! Hopefully this fix or whatever will be easy enough.

18. -n7-

-n7- Member

So will UT2004 work for MP? :(

19. Capt.Toilet

Capt.Toilet Good news everyone!

What gets me is why Bohemia went with Gamespy with Arma 3? Hasn't it been known for sometime that Gamespy was going the way of the dodo?

If so then this is like GTAV being announced for PC with GFWL integration and due for release a month before the service is killed. That would actually be quite hilarious

20. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

One of the dumbest moves I've seen for a long time. GameSpy has been in it's absolute death throws for a very long time.