GameSpy Datacenter Move - Wednesday, August 25, 2010 22:00 PDT

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Flak

I am Gamer, hear me Pwn. RAWR
May 26, 2004
Public Service Announcement :p

The GameSpy data center move will result in the outage of all GameSpy Tech services for a period of time. GameSpy expects to begin the switch over process during the normal maintenance window on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 at 22:00 (10:00PM) Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).

The outage is expected to last approximately Six (6) hours during which time all games on the GameSpy Service that have properly implemented the availability check will receive a “Service Temporarily Unavailable” response.

You can follow status here: http://twitter.com/gamespystatus

and here: http://www.tumblr.com/tumblelog/gamespystatus

NOTE to Server Admins: Dedicated game servers utilizing GameSpy matchmaking will require a reboot in order to propagate the new DNS once the data center migration is complete. Should your dedicated game servers be managed by your game community, please be sure to notify them prior to Wednesday, August 25, 2010 22:00 (10:00PM) PDT. The reboot should occur after you have been notified Gamespy has completed the move.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
All games that use GameSpy as their middleware. Presumably even the master servers for old Unreal games will be down during that time.

Flak

May 26, 2004
Brizz is correct.

Services Impacted: ALL GameSpy Tech Services (including any custom services)

I hope they turn off the power at the current gamespy location too soon, and everything is lost and irretrievable, the company goes out of business and all it's employees go to work for more worthwhile and meaningful companies.

hint: I despise gamespy almost as much as I loathe punkbuster. Both are useless roadblocks to multiplayer gaming. Sure maybe for a very select few games they've been improving their services, but it's been years of massive failure from them both that makes me steer clear of anything they touch.

I hope the new location bursts into flames (before anyone shows up so no person is in danger) and a meteor hits the building, a meteor made of alien poop, ridden by the ghost of Elvis.

Man I hate gamespy.

Flak

May 26, 2004
Well, no need to worry about UT3, I'm sure the remaining four players will find something else to do for six hours.

Since i have 25 PMs and 26 emails asking me "WTF IS GOING ON", I'm going to say "51 players".

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
You were warned. ;)
No.

We were warned that Gamespy was not going to work. That the online game was not going to work. That's fine.

This is crap. Regardless of the popularity of UT3, my game shouldn't crash because Gamespy is not there.
It works fine if the ethernet cable is unplugged!
There is no excuse also. Borderlands works just fine in offline play. I just got logged out of Gamespy when this started happening, and that was the end of it.
Even on your twitter you don't say it will crash the game. Just that it will be "offline."

We were warned, yeah right :lol:

I don't care much about this. You're just wrong, that's all I wanted to say.

Attachments

• gamespy.png
    gamespy.png
    361.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
By the way one last thing.

I'm sure the crashing is not intended and is a bug.

Any chance for a patch? XD :D

(In a million years more likely, right Epic?)

Flak

May 26, 2004
GameSpy Technology has announced that have completed the migration to their new data center. Most services should now be available.

Please let me know if there are still issues.