1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Future of the franchise?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament' started by ZeaLitY, Oct 1, 2015.

1. ZeaLitY

ZeaLitY Modernaire

I can't believe IT will be 20 years old in just 4 short years. Right now, UT4 has 86 players online, while the original UT has 159. (Some of those may be fake bots designed to lure in players, of course.)

Is there a future for this style of play anymore? I felt like the original UT, for me, captured a few unique things:
    • A futuristic aesthetic
    • Very tight, fluid gameplay
    • Dynamic range of motion (through dodging, crouching, boost-jumping off movers, etc...this enabled the entire Bunnytracks community)
    • Great weapon choice (CQC vs. mid-range vs. long-range weapons)
    • Unique translocator mechanic allowing very large skill curve (especially when vertical translocating around complicated maps comes into play, along with piston-boosting the transloc or shock-comboing it)
    • All of the above making it even more difficult to aim, creating more levels of skill
    This separated it from other first-person shooters that were either realism-based (CoD, etc.) or Doom clones (Quake and so on). UT was fast; it was wide open, moddable, and allowed for incredible ranges of skill beyond just simple aiming. Skillful movement was an extremely important part of tactics. Just being able to dodge, do moving shock combos, strafe through complicated maps, etc. opened up a dynamic that modern shooters and slow-moving Doom clones always lacked. This is something I felt UT3 got completely wrong—the characters were reduced to roided-up space marines with ridiculous anatomy (Malcolm looked like Ronnie Coleman). Dodges became tiny, tiny little bursts of movement that barely evaded combos (which were nerfed to begin with, leaving the sniper as the best weapon and destroying the primary fire option for shockrifle users). VCTF removed the translocator, and overall the game just felt clunky and bulky.

I've played UT4 a bit, and it seems to try and reclaim some of that fluid dynamic that was lost in UT3. But the real point is—does anyone care in 2015? Consoles have virtually won the multiplayer where FPSes are concerned. It's easier to play most of them (Sleeping Dogs, GTA V, etc.) with a 360 controller on PC than by using a keyboard, especially where camera controls and sprinting by pushing the stick in are concerned. With a controller, there's effectively no easy way to implement a dodge, nor to do mouse-wheel weapon cycling (though GTA V's weapon wheel is promising). The translocator element is also hampered by this.

It may be very pessimistic, but I feel like even if UT's original strengths were masterfully done in this era, there'd be few people around to truly appreciate them. It hurts deep down, because the sheer expansiveness of the experience allowed by UT's mix of movement and aim produced something that modern shooters with zero dodging, no transloc, and tiny jumps cannot ever approximate.

2. Hellkeeper

Hellkeeper Soulless Automaton

I agreee that UT Probably belongs to an age that has ended. Quake is in the same spot.

Although
    Unless I'm mistaken, neither SD nor GTA are FPS. And mouse-wheel cycling through weapon is usually something people avoid after they get to a certain level, so I'm not holding that against the controller.

Another thing is that there's, I believe, way more competition and fragmentation on the market compared to 1999. Way more games have to share the playerbase.

3. leilei

leilei ANIME ELF'S !!

Quake Live was promising, but the snobby players took it in their own hands to ruin and sabotage it, repeating history of Quake's (and its sequels) demise. Most recently with the 3rd-party QLRanks site that calculates player ELO and players using scripts to kick players if their data's not on that site to suit their threshhold (like 2000 Duel ELO for a player in a CTF game), killing off growth. The game was already fragmented by a tier system, regional servers hidden off, subscriber-only servers, but that winners-only vigilante bullshit right there is its death knell.

Sure hope UT4 learns from that horrible mistake. StopHavingFunGuys are the bottleneck of the Arena FPS genre.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  4. medor

medor Member

For that should be further ; players need found money to by a new computer under directx12.
    (Yes it's not mandatory directx12 but it requires a machine even more powerful in d11)
    This is not my case to by a new PC and certainly not the case for emerging countries.

UT4ever ^^

5. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

There is no future for the UT franchise.
    That got killed off with UT3 and the coffin's been nailed shut with UT4.

DarkEmperor and Al like this.
  6. leilei

leilei ANIME ELF'S !!

Quake Live just gave itself a price of $10 for its ignorant-complainer pandering update, so UT4 should have more of a chance expanding more than ever now.

7. Hunter

Hunter BeyondUnreal Newsie

I think UT is now more than ever just there to make more developers use the Unreal Engine. Unless there is a massive marketing campaign and the game actually moves forward in terms of content and development it is just there to show off the engine.

8. Selerox

I'd argue that's been the case since about 2002.

9. Raynor.Z

Raynor.Z Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus

I think there wasn't real PC focused UT installment since first UT.
    UT2003 was UC port, UT2004 was an attempt to fix UT2003 - kinda hybrid if you will.
    UC2 was totally different thing exclusively on Xbox and UT3 was influenced by simultaneous console development.
    Now they're attempting with PC only UT4 with heavy community involvement and all, but I don't know who's the target audience.
    In this day FPS market is dominated by console-focused titles oriented around casual players with short attention span who want instant gratification. UT4 does not fit in this category.

10. Al

Al Reaper

It looks to me the target audience are the diehards and competitive players that never left original UT or 2k4. I just don't see many new players coming over to this new game, unfortunately, because I think it's shaping up to be a decent game.

11. Raynor.Z

Raynor.Z Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus

That's part of the problem. If they're trying to please both UT1 and UT2004 playerbases then it won't get them far.
    Both games do play differently enough and aiming for "happy middle" won't make older players jump the ship. I think there's more probability UT4 will attract new players than convert old playerbase.

12. Platoon

Platoon New Member

I know, it's such a shame to see hardly anyone playing this when you have games like COD that get millions of players. Still even with 100 players online that's enough to get a good game in now and again. I think Unreal need to add something new and fresh to bring in new players, maybe like a new game mode like COD has zombies.

13. Al

Al Reaper

While I will agree that UT4 is very playable right now, you must realize that it's still a pre-alpha. Most people don't want to play a pre-alpha game.

When it's further on in the development stage, you'll see the player count rise.

14. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

Didn't they move to "alpha" stage already? That's still very long before actual release, but it's the kind of state that sometimes gets leaked in closed development, because it's supposed to be the first stage where the game may actually be playable.

15. Al

Al Reaper

16. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Well-Known Member

It definitely is further than pre-alpha now so yeah they should change the name to at least alpha. I mean look at how pre-alphas of other games used to look like, you can call the early unreal monster preview a pre-alpha, you can call a lot of other stuff pre-alpha but this is not so much anymore...
    The Unreal 2 E3 alpha was much more pre-alpha than this..

17. Syri

Syri Who are you calling short?

How can it be pre-alpha? Alpha is the first playable state. Can you play it? Yes? Then it's alpha. Pre-alpha is a disjointed mess of concepts and tools, that might operate individually, but are not connected and don't have a "friendly" way of running together. Alpha is when you have something that can actually run, and string things together. It may not be pretty, but you can launch a game, play it and do multiple things with it, without jumping back to code, or running a different .exe for the next part. There may be stuff missing, and a lot of place-holders, but a non-programmer can run it through. Beta is feature complete, but missing content (maps) and containing known bugs and issues.

18. Al

Al Reaper

While I agree with you all, whatever it is, Epic is—as of today—still calling it a pre-alpha.

19. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

They are saying pre-alpha still largely because they haven't replaced all the weapon and pickup models I guess.

20. Selerox

It's been in pre-Alpha for a year and a half. At this rate you might see it in 2027.