freeze crash!!!??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UTalkin to me?

Jan 17, 2001
CLeveland
Visit site
Me too

I'm so glad I'm not the only one freezing up. Mine started when I reloaded Win95. I can play SP fine but when I go on the Net. I get a "connecting message" and then the sound begins to repeat. Only recourse is to cut power. I will work on it some more and post anything I can to help.
System ( don't laugh cause I can still frag yer BUT!)

P2 233
64m Ram
Voodoo 2
Win95

UTalkin to me?

Jan 17, 2001
CLeveland
Visit site
Getting Worse!!!!!!!!!!

OK, Now UT (without any changes to try and fix the other prob) gives me General Protection F'up. History Message.
History: Slx Detect output
<-UGalaxy Audio Subsystem
<-Uengine INIT AUDIO
<-UGameEngine init Engine

I'm no rocket scientist but I went in to Safe Mode w/sound
and UT launched but then the same prob is occurring as the previous reply.

Wee this game makes U learn alot about yer puter!

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
Damn This problem is more rampant then I thought. And to think that all epic suggests is that you try and disable eye candy and direct sound. Those creeps.
Is it me or does everybody having this problem have Via based mobos? I'm going to try and unistall all the scsi stuff on my CPU and see what that does. AS it is right now I have been unable to play a single duel since 3 months ago:(
My system is as follows in case somebody wants to compare
Athy 750
ABIT kt-7 RAID updated the VIA 4in 1 patch and flashed my bios
Voodoo 4500
Monster sound MX300 A3d
128 MB ram PC 100

minkie

Jan 18, 2001
Connecticut
Visit site
Updating the Bios

Thanks BloW Smoke[PuF]! I'm having pretty much the same problems as everyone else here with a VIA chipset. I have all the new drivers for the video and sound cards and installed the 4in1 and the AGP drivers as well.... I didn't do the BIOS upgrade yet though... I'm alittle chicken since I need to reset it on the MOB--- going to bring it in to work and get the needed moral and tech support.

I turned off windows animation and messed with the IRQ where my nic card is installed, (which started all my UT freezing problems in the first place) and at least I can play online in software rendering for the time.

Thanks to you and everyone for all the help. You guys are priceless!

Cheryl

beelzebub

Dec 19, 2000
Visit site
hmmm... well i updated with the 4/1 driver and i could play UT for atleast 4 hours or some.. then ZANG.... back to freeze.. nearly thought i had actually solved this problem!
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

scudsukah-:-)

*nuked*
Jan 23, 2001
maryland, usa#1
Visit site
this should help i hope it did for me

i was experiencing lockups as well
my girlfriend bought me a logitech optical mouse that runs on usb instead of ps2 if you're running your keyboard and mouse on ps2 try switching to usb it worked well for me
i havent had a game lockup for 4 months now can play for 7 hours lockup free try it i bet itll work for ya
feel free to send $$$ if it works lol cya happyfragalots

*nuked*
Jan 23, 2001
maryland, usa#1
Visit site
in response to your lck up probz

Originally posted by beelzebub
hey... when i play UT after like 30-40 mins (sometimes even less) my computer seems to crash... everything just freezing up.. cant do S###! exept cut the power .... its very enoying
ANYONE!? please...... what could be the trouble??
i run it on a p3.533,128ram,tnt2(2x16)

hey do this first read my thread on my new lock up remedy posted yesterday if you cant find it here what ya do... buy a usb mouse and keyboard yes i know spend more $$ on junk but it worked for me ... no more lockups not for 4 months now
i wanted to wait b4 i postd anything but it works gr8 and im satisfied :) trust me on this ps2 sux and should be trashed my thread has the explaination on why this happens and i think you should check it out.. frag away my man!!
oh yeah check out daves deck online its under deck16 ip is 216.5.178.162:7777

hypervigilance

Dec 7, 1999
Eagan, MN USA
www.ussamerica.org
Same issues

I'm having the same problem, at least in Unreal Gold.
My system -

Asus K7V, Athlon 750
Hercules GeForce DDR
320 mb pc100
AGP is set to 2x.
VIA 4-in-1 version 4.25a (latest from VIA)

I emailed the tech help for unreal gold and they suggested
I disable everything in startup via 'msconfig'. That method removes things like SOUND etc. No go.

Please post if you figure anything out.

Kray

Time chaser
Sep 17, 2000
Fool's Paradise
utgallery.tripod.com
Re: still freezing

My comp still freezes as well. I tried installing the latest via 4-in-1 drivers, but it causes UT (offline) to freeze about 5 seconds upon loading, constantly. So I’ve re-installed my old 4-in-1 and (thank god) it works.

And Bender, you should've posted the new info in a new posts, rather than adding them to your previous post (the long one). I almost didn't see it.

IMPORTANT: If anyone experiences 30 second freezing in the server browser list, especially for DSL users, then see this thread:

http://forums.planetunreal.com/showthread.php?threadid=32519

Apparently they've found the solution for it.

No luck for the rest of us I'm afraid.

Last edited:

[MOCL]RaDicaL

Jan 31, 2001
MAYBE THE OTHER WAY AROUND

Maybe it will help you finding the problem when i tell you wich configuration I have. Because my UT works just fine.

Intel P3 650(@975)
ASUS P3B-F Mainboard
256Mb PC133 RAM
Creative Labs Geforce 2 GTS
Creative Labs SB Live 1024
Tekram SCSI Controller
Intel/DEC 10/100Mbit NIC
Promise FastTrak100 Raid Controller
various cdroms,dvd,burner,hds (dont think that counts)

I know Bender personally and i made up my mind that this is an AMD-MOBO only problem, but this forum tells me im wrong.
Maybe some more people who dont have any problems should post their config as well so u can see wich hardware (if it is a hardware to software error) runs and wich not.

Here is my OS/Drivers configuration :

Windows2000 pro (downlaodable @ *G*)
ServicePack 1 (downloadable @ ms)
DirectX 7/8 (no difference at all)
Detonator 6.47 drivers (downloadable @ www .reactorcritical.com)
LiveWare 3.0 for Win2k (downlaodable @ www.sblive.com)
standard windows drivers for :
- NIC
- MoBo (ALL)
- SCSI Controller (ASPI from www.adaptec.com)

I am currently using UT this way :
- UT installed
- 2nd UT cd installed (high res textures)
- UT BonusPack 1
- UT BonusPack 2
- UT BonusPack 3
- UT BonusPack 4
- UT version 436

i did not change my configuration with an editor, i just maxed all details

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I also thougt the problems were only when playing networked games, as i recall bender told me so.

Reading all this the problem may be the software itself.
maybe with problem with all directx versions above 5.x

did anyone try out a lower one ?

as for now i wish u best

RaDicaL

*nuked*
Jan 23, 2001
maryland, usa#1
Visit site
are you stupid or blind??

look at my thread on lockups i have like 3 of them it isnt drivers everyone its ps2 trust me do what i say or screw you!!! get usb mice and keyboardz i wont tell ya again!! dont listen to anyone about drivers or
game conflicts IF YOU ARE USING PS2 MICE AND KEYBOARDS YOU JUST DISCOVERED THE PROBLEM
now you must rectify this problem!!! THROW THEM IN THE TRASH LITERALLY!! GO TO BESTBUY GET USB KEYBOARD AND MOUSE THEN LET ME KNOW IF IM WRONG!! heh

Pulsar*au

Mar 1, 2001
Visit site
i was able to miminse the crashes but useing opengl. i hardly crash like i used to.

download the open gl driver from the epic site :]

Horus

Jan 10, 2001
Germany / Mannheim
Visit site
The Ps/2 haven't to be the Problem

Hey

someone here is telling that it would be the ultimate salution:
THATS WRONG!!

I had this freezeproblem too, with PS/2 and now UT runs better then ever also with PS/2.

Only as a short comment to this....

Keep on fragging :rl