Freespace franchise lives again?!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Scuddie

I am probably better than you.
Sep 29, 2001
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
W00t! Thank god Interplay has gone under! Now they have to sell all their licences! One important one, which many people are thankful for, is the Freespace franchise. Could it be said, that after years of anxiousness, questions, and anticipation, that there may be a Freespace 3 soon to be in development? Well, one major game developer decided that the rights to freespace would belong to him, because of the relationship he has with Interplay, as well as his love for the FS series. This "one man team" is none other than...
Derek Smart.

MOTHERFUCKER!! God dammit, why the fuck to all the good titles have to go to the wrong people? Apparently, Derek Smart himself wants to take over the Freespace franchise, do what he wants with it, and put Freespace 3 out on the market. :mad:

http://forums.avault.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005485

Sure at first it seems innocent enough, but when the members of the only FS2 community left (Hard Light Productions, a VERY major community of content designers, as well as coders for the FS2 source code) show up to advise him against it, all hell breaks loose. Now I know why the guy is known as a complete asshole. Look in the many pages in this thread involving all kinds of slander and flames coming from both sides of the war, which are the FS community vs Smart and his lackeys. The funniest part, I believe, is when Smart threatens legal action against HLP for their Ferrium Project (new space sim engine, designed for the major purpose of a port of FS2 to a newer engine).

That thread is a good read, as well as a good laugh. Apparently the thread closed because it turned into a nuclear bomb war, however it was the largest growing thread in Adrenaline Vault's history. Here's the current thread that is quite a bit more civil.

http://forums.avault.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005487

Anyway, at the very same time, HLP is having their own thread about the situation. It started a while after Smart made his community announcement to avault. It has also been a flame war, but it only lasted for a short time, because Smart didnt have the balls to debate it in their turf.

http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/forums/showthread.php?threadid=25162

While you're there, be sure to check out the whole of their forums, just to see what they've been doing for the past 2 years with the code. You can see then why they'd be a much better license holder for the freespace franchise, and why Smart should be shot dead for calling that place a "cesspit" and full of weak people.

Good god, motherfu
cker. This whole thing stinks real bad.

EDIT: Everybody, everywhere, posts this hillarious history of Derek Smart. I may as well do the same. http://www.werewolves.org/~follies/

Last edited:

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Both Freespace I & II are the best space shooters I ever played. There's nothing like flying alongside the Colossus or seeing capital warships explode every second mission. Great atmosphere. I remember playing one of the Battlecruiser versions once, everything sounded pretty cool in the manual but after starting the game I went 'What the hell?' for about ten minutes and then proceeded to uninstall the game again.

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
My happiness went way up with the thread title ...... and way down with its content :(

Thanks for the heads up though, Scuddie. :hmm:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
One really has to wonder how this 'Smart'-guy ever manages to produce anything.

He even manages to contradict himself by first claiming that anyone blaming faults on someone else is 'weak' and then mentioning that BC crashed because of the publisher ...
Oh wait ... that's not related.

Anyways ... I'd rather see someone make a good *original* space-based game in the spirit of Freespace/Wingcommander/X-wing/Tie-fighter
I don't really like sequels and I definitely don't like it when the person wanting to create it has an attitude towards fans and opposing opinions like that not-so-Smart guy has.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
He's an arsehole but so are those fanboys.

I think they deserve each other.

Tie-Fighter was definitely my high water mark for "action" space games.

Fscking terrific SP game, too.

Those extra "hidden" objectives were the bomb.

I'll be ever so happy if I-War3 gets made.

Last edited:

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
DamienW said:
My happiness went way up with the thread title ...... and way down with its content :(

Thanks for the heads up though, Scuddie. :hmm:
Same thing here. :( I ... sigh ... Why couldn't Freespace get picked up by a respectable group who's known for making sci-fi flight sims...

Oh wait, that's right, there *are* no sci-fi flight sim groups.