Franchi SPAS-12

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gholam

Sergeant (Reserve), IDF
Jun 19, 2001
Rehovot, Israel
Eh, both FA MAS and Steyr AUG are fine rifles, neither compare to FN F2000 though :D All bullpups except one, maybe two (if Steyr solves the problems with ACR) have a major issue: you cannot switch hands in combat which makes firing around corners in urban settings much more difficulty. With an M4, you can quickly switch from right hand to left hand to fire around a corner, but if you try that with a FA MAS, or AUG, or Tavor, or any other bullpup except F2000 or Steyr ACR, you'll get spent casings ejected right into your face. F2000 solves it by ejecting spent casings into a special internal tube, from which they fall out forward. It's also dead sexy :D

F2000adF.gif

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
I'm not sure if the OICW can really be called a bullpup. Sure, the 20mm GL is bullpup, but the 5.56 is not, so perhaps it's a half-bullpup :D

BTW: why does everyone here bash on the AUG. The Austrian Army didn't have any problems with it since its introduction in 1977. According to everyone who served it's reliable under adverse conditions, easy to control in full-auto and easy to clean. Only things which are not that much liked are the backup 'ironsights' on the scope. In Austria we also don't have any problems with ADs.

Snakeye :D

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
".......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, jaunty the FAMAS is a peice of ****! if you want a good bullpup assult rifle you take the Steyr AUG..."

Empty cans make the most noise. :rolleyes:

Kristoph

Jan 19, 2000
Paris, France
Visit site
Originally posted by Gholam
All bullpups except one, maybe two (if Steyr solves the problems with ACR) have a major issue: you cannot switch hands in combat which makes firing around corners in urban settings much more difficulty.

Found in the Infiltration Armory :

FAMAS

Description: France's standard issue bullpup designed assault rifle fires a 5.56 mm round and can easily be switched to fire from both shoulders. It fires from a closed bolt and features a 30 round magazine located behind the grip. It's trigger group includes semi auto, 3 round burst, and full auto

So, anithing more to say ?

Gholam

Sergeant (Reserve), IDF
Jun 19, 2001
Rehovot, Israel
"Easy switching" means you don't have to take it to factory - but I don't think you're going to field strip and assemble it back together in middle of a firefight (and that's exactly what it takes - it's not flipping a switch).

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
hmmm, I believe that it only took a minor change to switch from left to right

Being a bullpup, the FA MAS can be modified to fire from either shoulder. To change the FA MAS from right- to left-hand ejection, withdraw the bolt head after removing its notched retaining pin on top of the bolt body, insert the extractor into the left side of the bolt head and the dummy plug into the right side. The extractor will now spin empty cases out to the left. Nothing else is required for left-hand ejection, other than to snap the cheekpiece onto the right side of the buttstock.

from Remtek arms

Gholam

Sergeant (Reserve), IDF
Jun 19, 2001
Rehovot, Israel
withdraw the bolt head after removing its notched retaining pin on top of the bolt body

I've read that article as well, and doesn't accessing the bolt require opening the reciever? IMHO, that procedure qualifies as field stripping, and even if it doesn't, it's NOT something you do during a firefight.

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Indeed it's only a minor change, but it takes still more time than to flip a switch.
In any case it's nothing you want to do under fire, so if you get a right-hand configured weapon and are a leftie you'd better shoot with the rifle on your right shoulder.
Since this problem is common with all side-ejecting bullpups it's a serious drawback in design.

In Austria the problem is solved in a typically Austrian way: everybody shoots with the rifle on the right shoulder - though also the StG77(aka AUG) can be configured for a left handed shooter.

BTW1: No one answered my question why the AUG is so unpopular here(apart from Gryphon and ShakKen not liking it..), ****, I pose this question for over 1 year, but still got no real answer..

BTW2: the FN F2000 is a butt-ugly rifle..

Gholam

Sergeant (Reserve), IDF
Jun 19, 2001
Rehovot, Israel
Snakeye, you missed my point - it's not the right handed/left handed shooter (I'm a leftie myself), it's the use of cover in combat in urban settings. If, for example, I'm using a house for cover, I'll be firing around a corner - if the corner happens to be on my left side, then excellent - only my head and left arm will be exposed. However, if the corner is on my right side, I'll have to switch to right hand, or risk having nearly my entire body exposed to enemy fire. With a conventional layout weapon, I have the option of switching hands - but with a side-ejecting bullpup, I don't.

And I firmly stand by my opinion of F2000 being dead sexy :D

St0rmcaller

[AFA]'s unoffical godfather
Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
I've never fired any sort of bullpup weapon, so I pose this question to those of you who have: How is reloading the weapon different? Does it take longer to remove and insert a mag than a normal rifle (M-16, SIG-551, FN FAL, etc.). I can only imagine that it would be awkward to reload compared to a traditional layout.

Gholam

Sergeant (Reserve), IDF
Jun 19, 2001
Rehovot, Israel
Well, I've never fired a bullpup either, but I don't think reloading it is any harder than an M16 when you're a leftie :rolleyes: Probably just as easy as a conventional layout gun if magazine catch is placed behind magazine well so you can push it with your thumb while holding magazine with the other fingers (similar to the AK/Galil magazine catch).

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Gholam:
Got it now - anyway I prefer non-bullpup designs. And the F2000 is butt-ugly IMO - just my taste.

StOrmcaller:
Yep, reloading a bullpup usually takes a bit longer - at least that's what I heard about the StG77, and I suppose FAMAS, L85, F2000, TAR21, SAR21 etc will have the same problem. But according to my friends who served, you get used to it pretty fast, so it only takes a bit longer.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
I don't think you'll be doing that during a firefight anyway. I'll live with the slight nuicense of hot metal hitting my BDU's if needed.

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
Only hitting your BDUs?
I'd live with hot brass scorching the right side of my face off to avoid exposing even an extra millimeter of my body. :)

Gholam

Sergeant (Reserve), IDF
Jun 19, 2001
Rehovot, Israel
Ever had an M16 eject the casing and have it fall *under* your shirt?

I haven't.

But I saw it happen to someone.

Judging by his reaction, I don't think I'd like to experience that.

McMuffin

The sh¡ttiest Infiltrator
Jul 30, 2000
OR
I imagine that would suck but...

ya gotta prioritize,

take care of your charred nipple AFTER you've taken care of the enemies