1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Frame City Killer Canned

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by Sir_Brizz, May 12, 2006.

1. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

BoomTown has a story hot off the GameSpot presses (snigger) that says the upcoming Unreal Engine 3 game, Frame City Killer, has been cancelled.
    An unfortunate loss, Namco has yet to comment on the game's cancellation.

Read more about it, here.

2. Airmoran

Airmoran Construct

Wait, Frame City Killer was being published by Namco, right?
    The linked story says EA was the one that did the canning.

Ahh... whoever did it, it probably wasn't a bad move.

3. Angel_Mapper

Angel_Mapper Goooooooats

Yep. Publisher stops giving money to developer = game canned.
    How close were they to finishing it?

4. Phopojijo

Phopojijo A Loose Screw

I wanted to play it though -- looked great. Even though I seriously doubt it is canned.

Sure the graphics sucked, but think of it like Splinter Cell... only more gunman oriented than grabbing people.

Last edited: May 12, 2006
  5. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

They gave up after they couldn't get UE3 to render giant eye balls or hair that looked like a gallon of hair spray was dumped on it while standing in a wind tunnel.

6. Phopojijo

Phopojijo A Loose Screw

Graphics aren't everything.

You can't diss the gameplay, you've yet to play it; and probably never will.

7. KDR_11k

KDR_11k [make art]

Publisher stops giving money to developer = game canned.

Not when the developer is one of the big publishers that just doesn't care much about the west. It will probably see a release in Japan, just not the rest of the world (unless MS picks it up for them).

8. Bang_Doll

Bang_Doll Freebasing Anime Chicks Since '96

Ah, that's kind of unfortunate. I mean yeah, the graphics were bad. Even though they looked like the same hairspray-covered, candy apple crap that the video game industry has been pumping out since polygons were invented, but still.

Ah, whatever, we all probably saw this coming.

9. Shrimp

Shrimp Seafood splatter

Ouch.

Can't say it's terribly shocking news though. At least in the visuals department, the game looked really horrible.

10. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Earning my Infrequent Flier miles

Namco should give it up and stick to Soul Calibur and Tekken.

11. nELsOn

nELsOn bSnakeCastShadow = True

:lol:

first i've read news about the game's visuals being re-worked. then i read about the game design in general being re-worked.
    and now it's cancelled... i always try to imagine how something like this must feel for the people who have been working on a game. i mean, they've put hours and hours into the game and then it's cancelled :hmm:

12. UnRealist

UnRealist Lame_and_inaccurate_flak_ spammer!

Well, as Phopojijo mentioned - graphics aren't everything, and I'm getting really worried as I see more and more devs forget about it. But still - the game looked just... bad, even as for Doom Engine (which is far simpler than UE3). People want to see perfect graphics on their new next-gen, HD-attached, surround-sounded consoles, and EA probably feared that low graphics quality of FCK would scare lots of customers, especially when Gears comes out. So they cancelled it, not to risk bigger losses... That's my theory on this...:rolleyes:

13. Phopojijo

Phopojijo A Loose Screw

Which is a shame, I wanted to stalk people and run 'em down with the roof of my car. And not in a GrandTheftAuto setting.