1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FragBU

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 2003/2004' started by TWD, May 7, 2004.

1. TWD

TWD Cute and Cuddly

I have several complaints regarding how fragbu has been run the past few weeks. Here are some of the more important ones.

Saturday Only
    FragBU was always on friday and saturday. Now I am being told it is only on saturday.

Segregation by gametype
    The kentar mothership only does onslaught. There is no option to vote for CTF. If I want to play CTF I have to go to a different server which so far I haven't seen many people on. I believe that the system we had with webslinger's server was perfect. We are allowed to vote for a different gametype if we want it. We shouldn't have to join a different (and most likely empty) server to play anything other than onslaught.

No custom maps.
    There are several custom maps out there that I would like to see on the map list.

Lack of regulars showing.
    That's everyone's fault. The regulars just aren't showing. When I've been showing up for fragbu I don't recognize anybody.

Bots
    Take the bots off please. Bots do not help get a game going. If there's less than 4 people and bots fill the server people will come in see bots and leave. Not to mention that this deprives us of the opportunity to do some genuine screwing around.

No offical thread
    There is no longer a thread dedicated to each individual fragbu event in the ut2k4 forum.

Last edited: May 7, 2004
  2. I_B_Bangin

I_B_Bangin habitual line stepper

Well the lack of regulars might have to do with a lack of a consistent fragbu server.

Before, we only had one server and it was pretty clear cut as to where everyone would meet. Now it is not as clear (at least not for me.) I would love to get back to a place where we all meet up on ONE server and have a blast, and it seems that we have Ketnar as that option for ONS, but there is no CTF action and I miss that.

3. TWD

TWD Cute and Cuddly

I agree. I think the best solution is that we should have a primary server (most likely kentar) with options to vote for ons ctf (and possibly tdm dm as). Custom maps and a player limit that will keep the spam down somewhat. If we get more people than the server can handle we can make a second server that has the same settings etc for overflow.

4. spineblaZe

spineblaZe VFX Extraordinaire

Good points TWD. Don't forget the lack of Teamspeak. In game chat is ok but TS is way cooler. :)

But yeah, I think no CTF is a big downer. I would much rather play CTF than Onslaught.

5. QAPete

QAPete Chief Muckety Muck

TWD, I put up a CTF server last week, and you didn't even pop on to play, you tard. As for the lack of other servers, it was out of our control, as the East coast Alienpod servers went down shortly before the match, and our Alienpod guy was off getting married.

The Ketnar server will be ONS, period. After we get our Alienpod servers back, I agree, we should allow for other gametypes in the MapVote feature.

Bots are fine, if set to a low number, like we have. If you get six people on, you don't have bots. If you have four people, you can't play ONS effectively anyway, so you might as well have a couple of bots until people show up.

And don't get me started about people not playing. There were over 100 people in the chat room, and we had trouble keeping one server full.....

Pete
    -BeyondUnreal

6. TWD

TWD Cute and Cuddly

I have a TeamSpeak server setup specifically for beyondunreal and fragbu: 166.70.174.195:8768 pass bubu. Me and brizz use it frequently.

7. spineblaZe

That's another thing. We need a thread on that in the 2k4 section. Most of the dedicated UT2K4 players only check this section of the forum. Had I known about it I would have been there.

(I am not pointing fingers at you QAPete, just wanted to point out we need a weekly thread for stuff like that. :) )

*EDIT* I just want to point out that the UT2K3 FragBU's were so packed it was often hard to get into the server. And that was when 2K3 was virtually dead as far as pubs go. I contribute it's success to good organization. :)

Last edited: May 7, 2004
  8. Bang Yr Head

Bang Yr Head ( )

I totally agree TWD, glad to see im not the only one upset about it :eek:

9. Peregrine

Peregrine Death from above

I used to show up on Fridays...but alas...

10. SlayerDragon

SlayerDragon LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES

I agree, mostly. I don't think TWD should be bitching about not recognizing everyone there. Lots of new players around. /me shrugs

I miss the weekend-long fragfests. But at this point I probably won't be playing much for a while, so I won't complain about this.

11. Renegade Retard

Renegade Retard Defender of the newbie

Ditto everything my red-headed friend said. TWD has some good points too, although much of if may be "good ol' days" syndrome.

Pete, the post wasn't directed at you or the efforts you and the team have made. If fact, I applaud you for the work you guys have done to get the servers for us. The point is, there are some definate differences between the way things are done at "fragbu" now and what they were a year ago:

1) Separate servers for each game type splits up the community. We all used to gather on one server and play together. Now, everyone's spread out. With that said, I don't think this is the admin's or community's fault. Two new major game types were introduced (ONS and AS), and that means that there are other "tastes" in gametype than there used to be (remember the old thread something like "will CTF be dead when ONS arrives"?). Even some of the former diehard CTF'ers jumped ship to these other gametypes, therefore, we in reality can't run one server and be primarily CTF any longer.

2) No weekly threads here in the forums. Many of us diehards used to always look for the FragBU announcement thread every week. I know I would be sitting at work on Friday's refreshing my screen every 30 minutes until the times and passwords were posted. We'd all just on the thread and announce if we could make it or not, then afterwards we'd return back to the thread and post our "GG's" and post about our experiences of the week. As Spineblaze said, though, some of us faithfuls who never missed a week didn't even see the servers for the new fragbu. Keep in mind that the #beyondunreal has basically just become an extension of OT, and many of us don't regularly hand out there.

Again, a lot of this is "good ol' days" syndrome, but there are definate reasons why some of us just aren't playing on the new servers.

12. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Don't worry guys... we're just getting started again with FragBU. Ideas are welcome as are preferences.

13. rajput_warrior

rajput_warrior The World's Favorite Flak Monkey

ive been to one and it was great, but i agree with everyone else, i wish their was more consistency and different game play varieties

14. hyrulian

hyrulian Rainbow Brite

Don't know if this is possible, but could we have server-side demos of at least some FragBU matches where we have lots of BuFfers playing?

15. spineblaZe

You've seen the FragBU Video, right? That was made with the server side demos taken from the UT2K3 FragBU's. I am sure they will be made available once this thing gets up and running again. :)

16. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

A lot of the people in #beyondunreal are OT people who rarely play UT anyway.

TWD - as for the lack of the old regular people, who cares? FragBU in it's old form was about as elitist as UT got. If you weren't a seriously good player you simply got blown off the server. I'd rather see lots of new faces who are there to have a good time than a few hardcore ones.

Custom maps are a barrier to getting new people in to play therefore it = bad. Having bots to balance the teams up to 6 players is genuinely not an issue, don't make it one. As for CTF/ONS, the servers were down last time, so there wasn't much another could do.

If you can't be bother to play TWD, you have no right to bitch at anything. Leave the ego behind.

Incidentily, about the announcement threads in this forum, whats to stop one of you guys posted a thread about it when you see the announcment on the news page. It's not hard is it?

17. Loibisch

Loibisch The Odd Member

Don't get me started about Euro FragBU.

People welcomed the idea when we first had it, but these days people didn't even play at all (which had me reserve the server for 2 full days for exactly 0 players).

Last edited: May 8, 2004
  18. Daedalus

Daedalus I don't even...

The whole elitist thing that FragBU was or apparently was is BS. I had never really played UT2k3 online well...for obvious reasons ( lack of playerbase) and I decided one night to join FragBU. I dont consider myself to be that great or anything and I fit in just fine with no problems whatsoever and had a blast and kept coming back for more.

Now that FragBU is no longer hosted by Webby and I dont see the same people there and there's no CTF, it's really not as fun as it used to be imo. FragBU used to be a closely knit group of the only people on BuF who still played UT2k3 :p

Dont get me wrong, I'm not for shutting out new players or anything but I just liked the feeling of knowing the guys there and know they were all great guys and wouldn't pull any "OMG YUO SPAM HACKWTSFLOL"

Last edited: May 8, 2004
  19. Bang Yr Head

Bang Yr Head ( )

hmmm, screw it, i'll join back on when

A: They have it on 1 server
    B: No Bots
    C: Both Friday And Saturday, for more than 2 hrs :eek:

G'day!

20. hyrulian

hyrulian Rainbow Brite

I always join in FragBU when I've got the time. I even join the servers when nobody's there and play against the bots for a while, because almost always people will eventually show up when they find someone there.

Of course, there's also nothing stopping us from creating our own BuF gatherings, where we just gather up a bunch of people and get on one of the good pub servers, like we did last week when the servers were screwed up.