1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

fps tips

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rostam, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Rostam

Rostam PSN: Rostam_

ok, ive got a nVidia TNT2 M64 (32 mb), 256 mb ram, amd duron 750... res. 1024x768 (is fastest res. for me) all detail low, my fps is between 20 and 30 in most maps, but maps like manor farm and bullecourt make my fps go all the way back to 5! is this cuz of the map!? or is there something wrong with my vid cart or cpu?
    i still need to edit my preferences, in 285 it didnt mather but oh well, maybe ill get lucky :D

2. Caffino

Caffino mp5 wh0r3

I feel your pain

I too have suffered a significant fps loss.

P3-800, 256 RAM, GeForce2-32 running at 1024x768 and lucky to get 20 fps on the likes of Bullecourt and Manor Farm, with heavy lag when around other players or bots.

I turned off Volumetric Lighting and Detail Textures. Also have the new D3Ddrv.dll from Unreal. DirectX8a and new driver from NVIDIA. World and Player detail set to medium. I have run out of things to try. I don't want to drop my resolution any lower.

Any ideas? I love 2.86, they have gotten so much right with this release, but my fps sucks now.

3. Warren

Warren Infiltration Project Coordinator

Does Unreal Tournament run ok? If so, try following these instructions and see if this helps:

Open up your UnrealTournament.ini file, scroll down until you see the section entitled:

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] for OpenGL

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice] for Direct3D

Then open up your Infiltration.ini file and find the same section. Then copy all contents in that section from your ut.ini to your inf.ini file.

See if that helps improve things at all.

4. Caffino

Caffino mp5 wh0r3

Warren,

I'll try that. Should I have removed UT and started completely fresh? I only pulled INF out when installing 2.86.

I have to say that 2.86 is great.

I'm going off topic, but is there any way you could have the ACOG and M203 mutually exclusive attachments for the M16A2? Realism would improve because of it.

Great job, it just keeps getting better.

5. Caffino

Caffino mp5 wh0r3

I tried the D3d section from my old inf.ini with no change. I'll try the UT.ini D3D settings. If no dice, then going to uninstall UT and start with a clean slate.

6. Rostam

thnx

1 more thing, did u guys notice when u lean ur performance drops like hell! not when u prone lean, but when the screen becomes diagnall, my fps drops by 10! is that cuz u guys had to do impossible things with the UT engine, or is my pc settings (once again) the problem?

7. Warren

Warren Infiltration Project Coordinator

My only guess is that you're leaning around something and suddenly there is a lot more in view than before. For example, if you're facing a wall and you lean around to see what's on the other side, your FPS is obviously going to be affected. This varies from map to map, depending on how many polys that particular map has in view at any one time.

8. Rostam

that makes sence :D
    ok, i get the point, first rush like hell around the corner, then rush back and lean so my fps doesnt goto critcial :con:

hehe, just kidd'n! ill just prone-lean in maps like Atoll so i wont get killed every time ;)

thnx

9. TheChronoTrigger

TheChronoTrigger [UMC]FrozenFlame

I have noticed that the ingame FPS stats (timedemo) is not completely accurate, at least on my machine. cuz I think I could tell if I had 3 FPS and it was STILL rather smooth, 3 FPS should not be smooth lol. so I ignore that meter now cuz it's not accurate

10. Caffino

Caffino mp5 wh0r3

When it gets down to 4 fps, I can count my individual refreshes. Super lag. I do use the timedemo, but only as a reference, not gospel. Don't know if is accurate, but time is relative anyway, right?

I'm not dissing INF, I just want to play.

11. TheChronoTrigger

TheChronoTrigger [UMC]FrozenFlame

like I said it might only happen on certain setups, but at 7 FPS I should be able to count the frames but I can't it looks smooth and is playable, I think it might be a mac video driver/rave issue

12. KiloDelta

KiloDelta Rogue

tnt2 m64? run UT and INF in OpenGL!!!

there was a total jump in performance when i did the switch from DirectX...almost 15fps difference!

13. Rostam

sure? ive tried that... but that directx thing, i forgot :p

thnx

14. Pleuresaap

Pleuresaap Corporal Cock

i got: TNT2 Ultra - AMD 1Ghz - 256mbRam

on 1024x768 everything high, world detail medium it runs fantastic! lucky me :D

15. Rostam

its the duron thats the problem... the tnt2 is good :)
    guess il buy a athlon or t-bird depending on my money amount :D

16. CrappyChan

CrappyChan Come on snow!

Athlon 800, 256mbs RAM, GeForce2 MX 200 (omg POS), 1024x786.

I don't have many problems, but when to polys get 150+ fps goes down FAST. I overclock it too. I cashe 100mbs of mem for INF too. Hoping to get a GeForce 3 Ultra later next year. Also i've found that putting netspeed lower drps your FPS a lot. Im on 56k. If I put the netspeed on 10000(cable, hehe) it get 50fps+ no matter what, but its not to keen on staying connected for long.

17. BlAcK_PlAgUe22

BlAcK_PlAgUe22 I ooze.

I have a TNT2 (D3D) and a GF2U (OGL, diff comp). I tried switching the TNT2 to OGL, got like 10 fps. Went back to D3D, got my beloved 50 fps back :D

18. Pleuresaap

Pleuresaap Corporal Cock

TNT on OGL sucks. Well, might be my drivers but i've always hated OGL anyway.

19. [V] Jones

[V] Jones New Member

Something I noticed early on with 2.86, was that the frame rate dropped dramatically when in a close up firefight off-line. But I'm pretty sure the problem is the persistent shell casings. When I switched the shell setting to 1 things improved quite a bit.

Don't know how much difference this might make on-line since I guess the server would handle a lot of it. But it makes sense that your PC or Mac might struggle off-line since it is tracking all the bullets and shellcasings and handling the bot AI...no?

20. Caffino

Caffino mp5 wh0r3

I have fixed my fps trouble. It is still a little laggy , but not too bad. If anyone knows any more tweaks for INF, please share.

For anyone else having trouble who uses D3D, check this out. From the console, type preferences. Go to the rendering section. Under D3D, make sure high detail actors is set to false. Also check that volumetric lighting is set to false. I have been told fog as well, but mine was already off. The only other advice is to check your net speed from within the menu system.

Again, anybody with more tweaking advice, please share.