1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Force snipers to be snipers.

Discussion in 'New Version Suggestions' started by Chronic, Nov 18, 2001.

?

Sniper gun limitation poll:

1. Yes, limit the types of secondary weapons that snipers can use.

34 vote(s)
    64.2%
  2. No, don't limit any weapons.

19 vote(s)
    35.8%
  1. wrdaniel

wrdaniel New Member

Have not read all posts, cause its a very long thread. But what about if you move your scoped weapon and fire in moving the bullet goes a bit in this direction and you loos accuracy. cause the target should walk in your cross, you should not go for the moving target. also with holding breath, if you move your scope it should take a short amount of time till its still, so theres not a point and klick with the scopes.

2. jlamb_vo

jlamb_vo {GD}Spunky{Pfc}

Ooh, sounds like weapon inertia to me :)

As does slowing down turning the robar relative to other weapons a few posts up.

I wont give up :D

3. wrdaniel

wrdaniel New Member

i would like the aim system a bit like the one from DeusEx. You must hold your weapon still to get a better aim on you target. maybe press the hold breath key, but if you move the weapon to much all hold breath is gone.

4. JamesT

JamesT sniper apprentice

Currently the weapon bob/wave is there only to confuse your aim but doesn't affect line-of-fire at all.

If the weapon bob/wave can be made to represent ( simulate ) the "sight alignment" as in real life, then it does affect line-of-fire a lot. What's better is that this concept affects every gun.

5. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

I have somewhat of an idea to do that, along with a walking-bob.
    Involves re-aiming the gun.

6. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

I E physically knocking around the weapon, that would do the job

7. D.Turtle

D.Turtle New Member

Start reading on page four in this thread(about in the middle, to be exact, starting at my first post). Read the posts after that. Also read this:
    http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80288&perpage=30&pagenumber=17
    Start pretty much on the top.
    Thats mostly about aiming, and how to make it realistic.

8. Rostam

Rostam PSN: Rostam_

how about moving too much (starting walking ur moving to much with ur scope) will mean the scope starts to wonder of... u know what i mean, u move the scope to the left very far, but the scope goes left and a bit lower, or higher, or further then u wanted or less far... i like the idea, but thats cuz i like all my ideas :p

9. RAZZ

RAZZ aka FURY13RT

move with caution

this is all well and good, but I still say we need to be careful how much we handicap the snipers roll.
    these suggestions, without forcing other players to also stay within the bounds of their rolls, could effectively destroy sniping as a tactic.

makes no sense to have me waiting for breath control and trigger pulls while the cqb guy Im shooting at is plowing down my scope at 30mph.

with the next version so close, it might be a better use of resources to just wait and see what new bits need fixing. befor spending too much time fixing things here ;)

10. wrdaniel

wrdaniel New Member

Sniping must be so hard, that you need train to do it well.

11. JamesT

JamesT sniper apprentice

Re: move with caution

It depends. If that "CQB guy" who has already seen you, is 200m away, he shouldn't be able to hit you if walking, let alone running; if he is 20m away, spray fire power is more useful than an accurate shot.

But basically, if you are a sniper, don't let other people see you, and keep people at a distance. Long range is your advantage. An encounter within 100m is not good for snipers ( even SMG can hit you ). Read warfare history and you'll know snipers have little chance survive if position exposed.

Then again a sad fact is that there are few situations where snipers' act can be very realistic in game. The map scale, the map design, the rendering engine limitation, the scope visual effect......are not that good for snipers. I would say be patient and see what we can get from 2.87, 2.88, 2.89, ... to 3.0.

12. yurch

13. RAZZ

RAZZ aka FURY13RT

looking extremely sweet :D

what about the bullets travel time tho?
    I know little about this except that for a long range target the shooter has to lead it by a certain ammount to account for it.

14. yurch

I am working on bullet delay as well.