1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Force snipers to be snipers.

Discussion in 'New Version Suggestions' started by Chronic, Nov 18, 2001.

?

Sniper gun limitation poll:

1. Yes, limit the types of secondary weapons that snipers can use.

34 vote(s)
    64.2%
  2. No, don't limit any weapons.

19 vote(s)
    35.8%
  1. Chronic

Chronic unʒuckwithable

I know this has to be said about 1,000 times before (i think everything here has been said), but it's still a nagging problem, and a VERY big gameplay issue.

Basiacally, force snipers to be snipers. Limit the guns they can carry in addition to their rifle. As in pistols or small SMG (Uzi, MP5K) sidearms. And then that's it. I see too many people running aorund with a robar + a fully decked out M16A2 or SIG551. Even a robar + P90/M3S90/AKMSU/MP5A3 is unrealistic (unless someone can prove that real snipers do carry large secondary weapons like these in real life).

What do you guys think. This would balance the game play IMO. You wouldn't see people sniping, then running across the map running and gunning with an AK. Go ahead and vote.

2. ecale3

ecale3 Sniper - May be harmful to your health.

if they want to be stupid let them, just impose harsher penalties for multiple, higher bulk weapons.

3. RAZZ

RAZZ aka FURY13RT

muels would just pack multiple acoged guns instead of the robar.
    I agree with ecale, tax the **** outta their bulk and let em do as they please.

4. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

somehow i don't think it will matter how much you tax their bulk they'll keep doing it regardless (they are usually not the brightest people in the 1st place), i'd say limit weapon to a sidearm not even a smg as you would IRL.

5. Scuddie

Scuddie I am probably better than you.

Ummm, are you sure? What do you define as sniping? I use RC-50s along with Sig551s (not decked out, of course) on large maps quite often, as there is a time and place for everything. You can't expect to win a bout by sniping the whole time, do ya? On the other hand, if you are only carrying an AK, you would be sniped from a guy across the map because you weren't prepared to snipe him as well. Agreed, some idiots like to go all out assault and ruin it for themselves, as well as others, but some people do things with tactics in mind. I dont mind the extra bulk for being able to survive a little longer.

Also, judging the robar is flat out wrong. When in some maps, I use the robar zoomed all the way out, so it aint a sniper's weapon anymore.

6. BlAcK_PlAgUe22

BlAcK_PlAgUe22 I ooze.

Re: Re: Force snipers to be snipers.

A SIG AND ROBAR?! WTF are you smoking?!

You can't be the jack of all trades.

The Robar is STILL a snipers weapon because it is CLASSIFIED as one. Learn to hip-shoot.

7. JamesT

JamesT sniper apprentice

To Scuddie

"."

8. Scuddie

Scuddie I am probably better than you.

Hmmm...

A couple people jumping on my case about the SIG, eh? In the default loadout, there is something called "Sniper_RC-50" (or something). It contains a robar, an MP-5, and a sidearm, which the name escapes my mind at this moment, and grenade. My loadout consists of a robar and a barebones SIG551 w/one clip... Nothing more. No nades, no ACOG, no pistol, no nuthin. The sigis used as a backup weapon in case some1 charged me with an AKMSU. To make a long story short, I prefer the SIG over the MP-5, and I dont need nades. So there :p

9. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

This is a perfect example. A robar is an extrodinarily specialized sniper rifle. I don't care if you shoot it with no zoom, from the hip, or beween your legs. Its still a sniper rifle, and it weighs almost as much as a SAW.
    This part bothers me most of all.
    Yes, thats right. The poor guy with the AK stands no chance against someone with a robar, because he is outranged from afar, and his firepower is matched close-up by you, who carries a sig anyway. You don't find this wrong?
    Its called teamwork. Don't expect to be a one man army.

Just because it prevents you from "owning" a map, doesn't mean that these restrictions come from a bad place. May that comment hit home if nothing else does.

I will be watching the results of this thread. Not the poll, but the comments. I have been toying with the idea of limited primarys for RA - the extra bulk doesn't look like its going to stop anyone.

10. striderteen

striderteen New Member

Sic it to 'em, Yurch!

11. Kuroshio Apocal

Kuroshio Apocal Sucka Free

It stops me from playing my M16A2/M3S90 as aggressively as I normally would. Believe me, that loss of stamina starts to piss you off after awhile. Then again, I have seen some truly wrong stuff on AFA2. Like the guy with a Robar, M16, and M3S90. Jesus Christ, my M16A2/M3S90 stretches realism to just about the breaking point, but that loadout tears it to shreds, then dances the victory boogie on it's tattered remains.

Is there anyway just to keep increasing stamina cost for more than primary?

12. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

Yep...more bulk :p

...here it comes, but I have to say it: It looks like the next version is going to deal with this. I say in the meantime, we try to pursuade people by voice or Kickban to not use multiple primaries.

13. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

No, we don't want to kickban people. Thats wrong.
    If there existed a gametype or map that actually required some sort of speed (CTF EP anyone?) then bulk hurts. But until then you are going to be taking it slow and steady anyway, rught?
    But this robar/PSG bull**** is over-the-top. They aren't regular sniper rifles - both are heavy as **** - and quite long.
    Tell you the truth, I don't think anyone would shoot the robar in anything other than prone postion - and short-range combat wouldn't even be considered.

14. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

Okay, how about just a kick to the groin? :D

15. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

btw to correct you yurch, the robar doesn't weigh almost as much as a SAW, it weighs almost TWICE as much as a SAW.

16. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

1) If you don't have a 'sniperrifle', then you sure as hell should avoid situations were a sniper would be able to kill you ...

2) in *TEAM*-games you can always ask someone else to take care of that pesky sniper ...

... extra bulk or longer weaponswitching-times won't take care of these people.
    OTOH I think the team has often said that they would not implement 'artificial' restrictions, but relying on penalties instead.

It still is classified as a sniperrifle even 'unzoomed' it still has better 'zoom' than any of the standard weapons ...
    If you only use it unzoomed, then why not use a loadout with another weapon ? You can switch loadouts in-game after each death/round ...

17. Rostam

Rostam PSN: Rostam_

agreed, taking a robar doesnt make u a sniper, taking a psg or m16/sig+acog doesnt make u a sniper! but u can take the akmsu with clips and call urself a sniper! its all about the tactic u use, not the weapon

i use the m9 4x + robar 4x + 4 nades, when sniping i rarely come in close range and i rarely need my sidearm or my nades... but in maps like norwich :( well u get the point

i think the main reason why people take a scoped weapon along with their primary is to take out other people with a scoped weapon.

we must find a way to make people think "shall i take that scope, or shall i stay effective in CQB"
    cuz to be honest, im getting crazy about m16 hipshooting, its way too easy IMO, and in most close range confrontages its more effective then firing aimed

18. jaunty

jaunty If you disagree with me, you're wrong.

Snipers in some armies DO carry "large" weapons. IIRC, snipers in the IDF carry a CAR-15 as a backup.

19. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

yeah but "snipers" in the IDF (read civvie and police snipers) rarely have to move much on foot, they have those nice armored jeeps to get around.

20. striderteen

striderteen New Member

Agreed. That's why it's better to have a bulk/mobility penalty for carrying excessive loadouts, rather than simply forbidding them.

After all, it's FUN to frag the "invincible" n00bs carrying everything but the kitchen sink. And once bulk is properly implemented, we realism players will be the only ones having any fun.