1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

For the Fighting Game Enthusiast

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Harlock, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Harlock

Harlock Married And Always Nagged

I love fighting games. I cut my competitive video gaming teeth on fighters. My gaming 'hobby' became serious 'competition' with Friday afternoons, History Class, and Street Fighter 2 when Reggie would bring his Super NES to school and the teacher let us have the second half of the period to ourselves. That was 16 years ago. I am sure that many of you have similar stories. We can all pretty much agree that a fighting game is almost the perfect competitive game. Two players, one screen, one machine. For the arcades as long as the machine and screen are in good working order, there is no worrying about frame rate, whether 'your' hardware can run the game, or connection speed (for now). For consoles, all that matters is whether your comfortable in your couch, and if you have the proper equipment to play the game. By proper equipment, I mean a good game and a good joystick. The game is easy enough: Soul Calibur, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Street Fighter (or Capcom in general), and Guilty Gear. Choosing a good fighting stick, that's where the problem starts.

If you intend to really delve deep into fighting games, then you have to learn to play with a stick. If your playing a console port of an arcade game, you want to make sure that you are ready for the arcades when you go to meet your friends on a Friday Night for Fight Night. Playing on a pad will hinder your ability to pull off some mad combos, and will make that transition for console to arcade that much more difficult.

What your looking for in a stick is comfortability, functionality, and durability Being comfortable and functional is easy enough. Just get a stick that is big enough to reach all the buttons and has all the buttons to play just about any game with. Durability gets a little tricky. Buy a cheap product, you'll get cheap results. For people like me, who use their stick constantly, things break down. The ability to quick swap parts in and out of a controller are important.

Easily modable with HAPP or sanwa parts. With the right converters these sticks should last me forever. Stay away from the limited edition fighting game Hori sticks, like the Tekken, or Capcom Fighting Evolution stick. Those have the parts soldered directly into the PCB and are not as easily modded or repaired when something breaks. The HRAP/HRAP2/HRAP3 are made with Sanwa/HAPP quick connect parts for a quick 'swap out' if something breaks. Best site to order from - http://www.play-asia.com/

[​IMG][​IMG]

I have heard good things about the x-arcade controller, if you like the 'American' style tear-drop controller. Not my cup of tea. I prefer the Japanese ball type with the arch button style. You can get the x-arcade here - http://www.xgaming.com/

[​IMG][​IMG]

If Hori sticks or X-arcade are not your cup of tea, there are plenty of custom builder sites out there. As small as a single controller to as large as an entire cabinet - http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm.

In fact, you just might make your friends jealous if you show up with one of these intow:

[​IMG][​IMG]

I am a Virtua Fighter player. My personal sticks are these and one other shot of my youngest making me proud:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Then you could get as fancy as my friend Gerald in Los Angeles, who just built himself a Head-To-Head Cabinet:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Ok. So I have the game. Check. I have the controller. Check. Do I have friends to play with? For some of us, this is a problem. I have plenty of friends to play against, but none who are very good. This last weekend, once again, reassured me that I have to look elsewhere for great competition in my favorite games. Don't get me wrong, I love playing with my friends, but they suffer a severe scrub disease. One of the biggest problems I have with my friends is they are button mashers, and they refuse to learn the in's and out's of a game to transcend beyond the level of scrub-dom. I hate button mashers. Why is it so difficult for some people to learn button buffers, combinations, and good overall defense? The worst thing about it is, once you learn that there are only so many things that can be done by mashing the buttons, and you learn all the counters for those button mashable combos, it's time to move on to bigger and better competition. Now, I don't know about you guys, but arcades have just about gone belly up here in California. I am sure that it is the same elsewhere in the US, Canada, and possibly Euro. Seems that the only place where an arcade is more than just Dance Dance Revolution and Crusin' USA is Asia. For all of us that do not live in Asia, do not have an active arcade, and are desperate for good competition, I give you the Internet.

Fighting games have a long way to go before we reach netplay bliss. Connection Lag and Frame Drop seem to be the biggest problems for good competitive play. The closest thing we have right now for lag-free netplay is GGPO for the PC. GGPO plays a multitude of ROMs and uses a custom build of Final Burn Alpha. The GGPO site is dodgy at times. It's there, trust me.

For those that want more than just general internet play, we have to find out friends and competitors via forums, bulletin boards, and message systems. For those that are looking for specific sites, here is a brief list of the top sites to visit on the net:
    • Soul Calibur - http://www.soulcalibur.com/ - It's the official Soul Calibur 2 site, however it has awesome information on Soul Calibur 3 as well as a very active forum. The community is good, local tournaments galore. The only problem that I see, is that most people do not like SC3 as much as SC2. Play is play, I guess.
    • 2D Fighters - http://www.shoryuken.com/ - This is a great all around site. They just started up a fighting game wiki too, which will be awesome given enough time to mature. The forums are awesome, the community is great, and things really start to come alive around EVO2K time.
    • Tekken - http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/ - This is the best source for Tekken. Great strats in the forums. Stay away from the general topics though, people there are tools.
    • Virtua Fighter - http://www.virtuafighter.com/ - Smaller community, yet tons of information on the site. There is a forum to meet local VF fighters in your area, take advantage of it. Learn VF and all your fighting game dreams will come true. The FAQ section of the site has a wealth of information including frame data.
    • Great General Site - http://www.sirlin.net/ - Sirlin was a guest on the Bridger and Harlock show (my old radio show) a while back. The theory about fighting games is rich and deep, and this guy has captured it into print perfectly. He is the author of many a great article, including a book called 'Playing to Win' (he recently posted the entire book as a free e-book). There are short articles on the subject that should be read by all. Give this guy mad props for his contribution to the fighting game community.

Being a refugee of the arcades, and a veteran fighter I hope that my little rant has helped someone on these forums. If there is something I missed, or something you would like to add (other than 'you suck'), feel free.

My Virtua Fighter 5 player group in 2007. I am in the black Nike warmups, kneeling in the center:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  2. [Ci]Mazza

[Ci]Mazza Trigger Me Baby!

Deserved it's own thread.

I'm in a similar boat where I struggle for someone decent to play against. Myr's pretty good but he's buggered off somewhere else this year and that just leaves a variety of people who don't have much chance against me.

I wish arcades hadn't died off. Playing online will really never beat that feeling of standing next to someone and beating them so bad that they just have to walk away from the machine in shame.

3. Harlock

You can always organize your own tournament with your PS2 or your Xbox. I know many people that will do that at a designated venue, or at thier own flat. It can be both rewarding and you might meet new friends. Best of all, it is easier to set up than a LAN. Just get a few TVs, and tell people to bring thier own systems.

As far as the arcade death: I think consoles were the (very ironic) death of the arcade scene. The greatest draw of the console back in the day was the ability to port an arcade title so that you can play at home. Eventually, console technology escelated to the point of not only becoming equal to the arcade machines, but surpassing it. It got to the point to where titles would be released at home and in the arcades almost simultaneously.

You'd think that alone would kill the arcade scene, but I would argue that it didn't. Since there were still so many competition-based games out there (like fighters, racers, and DDR), people would buy the home versions to practice and play with their close friends, but then still go out to the arcade for competitive new blood. (At least, that's how I remember it was...)

But what killed the arcade industry is pretty much the same thing that's hurting the gaming industry as a whole now... Sequels. Once developing for the consoles got so much easier to do, companies would put together sequels to games almost every year or sooner. This is fine for a gamer that can afford $50 every several months, but it's much more difficult for arcade vendors to do the same. To them, they have to buy new hardware (which can cost up into the thousands of dollars) just to keep up with the hottest new titles.

For the big arcade pimps like Sega and Namco, this was no problem. But your average hole-in-the-wall arcade? Or even some small business with an arcade cab in the corner? It takes them a long time (possibly years) for their quarter-snatchers to just start turning a profit! They lose the customer draw to those who can afford the new machines.

And thus in the 90s--as did happen in the mid-80s--the arcade industry hit a huge boom and quick collapse under its own weight. And since certain genres are only truly worth playing in a public, competitive environment (ie, fighting games) many of them die out in the console market...

4. Evil_Cope

Evil_Cope For the Win, motherfather!

Arcades died out because Consoles are more ideal for actually playing games. When they became comparable in power they removed all need for arcades to exist, really.

[​IMG]
    ^killed arcades.

Plus, lets face it, a good percentage of arcade games were basically designed simply to suck you in just long enough to rape you of all the money they could.
    Also, lol@winning-is-everything style of playing fighter games. :)

5. Harlock

Funny story. I was playing some Street Fighter III - 3rd Strike the other day. My wife comes up to me and askes "When are you going to teach me, sensei?" I fell off the couch. Not once in the 5 years that we have known each other and the 2 years we have been married has she ever asked to play a game with me.

6. Myrmidion

Myrmidion Re-edifying the post-panarchic duodonemy

I'm more of a casual fighter gamer, myself - that's why I like the Soul Calibur series. Andy can get stuck in learning all the moves, and then I can sorta almost not-quite hold my own just by learning the button combos that are universal to all characters.
    Except Maxi. Maxi is just retarded. Either he flips out and decks your opponent so hard you end up holding your controller at arm's length, or you end up jiggiling across the map and get done over by a well placed face-stabbing. :)

7. [Ci]Mazza

You know what we should do next time you're at mine? Maxi Vs Maxi. I don't think we've tried that blockbuster matchup before.

I wish I could get third strike :(

8. Myrmidion

Myrmidion Re-edifying the post-panarchic duodonemy

That would bring a new definition to the term 'twitch gaming'. :)

9. Zaccix

Zaccix Truth, by Banksy

I must confess, I play with a pad. Why? Because I play at home, on my PC, on MAME. Street Fighter Alpha 2 is my addiction. I mean, like, clinical addiction. Trouble is, since building my new PC, I've decided to not install my old soundcard just for the gameport, so now I'm on the hunt for a good USB pad (or stick). Withdrawal symptoms have kicked in already. :D

I'm not a big fan of button mashing. Button mashing in a fighting game versus knowing which move you can pull with what button combo, is like whacking some drums versus laying down a sweet groove. It always feels so much better when you know what you're doing. You can button mash 'till dawn, but when a masher first throws out a qcf+P knowing it's hadoken, and a fireball appears, that's when the "oh ish!" light comes on, and you have to tell them how tiresome repeated moves are. ;)

10. Harlock

Unless that is part of the strategy. Unless you keep falling for the same move over and over again. Only during those times will I use the same move in repetition. You either learn to escape it, or you don't. If you don't, I will always win. Which is the point of the whole thing anyway. There is no such thing as cheese, cheap, or lame when it comes to the difference between a win and a loss.

11. Zaccix

Zaccix Truth, by Banksy

If someone wants to repeat a move over and over, hey I'll play along. It's easier to get past them as I know what they'll do next... and what they'll do in 10 moves' time. I just prefer fights with a bit of move variety.

Going back to pads and sticks, I've just remembered that I have a Dreamcast Arcade Stick buried somewhere in the house. I'll dig that out, get a DC-to-USB converter, and voila!

12. Syri

Syri Who are you calling short?

i've got one of these
    pretty good in all i've used it for so far

13. [IsP]KaRnAgE

[IsP]KaRnAgE You Can Be My Wingman

Is there no place on the internet to download videos of competitions for 2D fighting games? Besides that video of that guy parrying a bunch of attacks in SF3? I've seen plenty of videos for VF4, but I don't really like 3D fighters much.
    I'm a sucker for demos and replays of high level gameplay.

14. Harlock

http://www.combovideos.com is a pretty good place to start. All others seem to be regulated to japanese, chinese, or korean websites. Start browsing the SRK boards for media. If you are even just a tiny bit proficient in any of the asian languages, you'll be able to navigate the movie sites just fine.

15. Harlock

Well, of course. Any idiot who would not change up a style after they have been bested, deserves a good beat down. What I was refering to are those people out there that constantly whine each time I throw them, or every time I corner trap them with a good V-ism beating. Those people that call me cheap, or a cheese-ster. The ones that no matter how many times I use a specific move, they refuse to learn a way around it but instead complain that I should not use the move anymore.

16. FaT CaM

FaT CaM Not much...

I like dead or alive myself, because of the big variety of fighting styles, its all really smooth and just clicks with me. Drunken Master ***. A friend of mine would always go Bass, spam front kick and it was actually really hard to get around, it was probably the best move to spam for any character, pissed me off heaps.

edit: why is 'for the win' blanked out?

17. [Ci]Mazza

Ah v-ism. I have fond memories of ridiculous custom combos with sagat on SFZ3. Tiger knees and uppercuts just fit together so well in a custom.

18. Syri

Syri Who are you calling short?

i'll give it a bash if i'm round the area some time, always eager to learn new ways of getting beaten on soul calibur and tekken ;)

19. [IsP]KaRnAgE

[IsP]KaRnAgE You Can Be My Wingman

I bought a USB PS2 adapter. It is 10x better than the USB pad I bought last summer. Now, how do I not suck at Street Fighter Alpha 3? :(

Also, are any of the Capcom vs. SNKs for the PS2 worth getting? For a casual fighter like myself?

20. Harlock

Updated the thread with new information and new links.