1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FLASHPOINT Expands

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by vedder, Feb 20, 2002.

1. vedder

vedder See This Needle? See my arm...

Sounds interesting :)

2. BobTheFearlessFish

BobTheFearlessFish New Member

3. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

When the hell will these dorks grow up and dump the "evil russian empire" BS. I'd say NATO was much more likely to place a "preemptive" strike then the russians were.

4. Wolf Being

Wolf Being .

Yeah, I mean, after all, it's not like they would lay the capital of one of their minor republics to ashes while hunting down 'bandits', or bomb out villages with fuel air explosives and artillery or anything to smother the odd sniper. They would never do such a thing! To suggest it is preposterous! :D

Apart from the US participation aspect, I find the scenario to be quite realistic, especially if it's set in the 80s... Of course you could construct similar scenarios involving other forces: Afghanistan and US, Iraq and the Allies, West Bank and Israel, Westsahara and Marocco, the Ukraine or Belarussia and - oops - Russia, the Falklands and UK, Somalia and the US, Rwanda and the UN, France and one of their DOM/TOM, Some African colony and the Netherlands, Serbia and Nato, Yugoslavia and the UN, etc., you name it. But who would buy that?

5. Gholam

Gholam Sergeant (Reserve), IDF

...says a guy from a country that used defoliants in a certain war that shall remain unnamed, causing genetic diseases for generations afterwards - both in civilian population, and among their own soldiers. That same country, in that same war, also napalmed civilian villages... but of course that's forgotten.

And the Lord said, "First cast the beam out of your own eye before you cast the mote out of mine". (quoting from memory, so correct me if I misspelled something).

6. Wolf Being

Wolf Being .

Fact is that the scenario isn't that far feched. Let's discuss original sin and world politics in another thread. ;)

7. Freon

Freon Braaaaiinss...

Is this suppose to occure BEFORE Operation Flashpoint?
    Damn I'd like a modern day conflict.

8. Kibbles-N-Bits

Kibbles-N-Bits New Member

Sweet :tup:

9. MetalMickey

MetalMickey Banned

IIRC the russian commander that caused the conflict in OFP was not acting on orders from Moscow, but was acting on his own accord. So the point you make is moot fur.

10. Is it just me or has Russia re-invaded quite a few of its neighbours after they have lost them?

11. Freon

Freon Braaaaiinss...

no only the Tchetcheny
    but as they said this is to fight against "terrorists" ;)

12. itskeiagain

itskeiagain Adept

cool

I don't give a rat's ass about the new scenarios but the new weapons, vehecles, and especially a brand new map is a real bonus! I only create missions and play them. :D

13. })FA|Snake

})FA|Snake New Member

I'm most excited about revamped netcode.

14. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

A realistic scenario with a russian breakaway group should also include russian troops fighting the breakaway groups. In fact you could do a true story based scenario as I believe in '94 (or somewhere around that time) a russian Colonel and some troops did go awoll and hijacked a nuclear launch vehicle. Russian intervention troops shut them down after a fierce battle.

15. Destructo6

Destructo6 8404

The entire time I was playing OFP, I was wondering when I'd get to play as a Spetznatz soldier, trying to assassinate Guba (sp?). It would have been really cool if US and Soviet forces linked up for a joint action.

16. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

Why send spetznaz when you can home a cruise missile on his mobile phone :D That is the way the russians dealth with one of their former generals who joined the Chechen cause, he knew they would could triangulate his position if he called for longer then 30 seconds and thus kept all his calls shorter then that, in the end i guess he screwed up afterall :).

17. -Snakebite-

-Snakebite- Hero

Revised netcode? They'd need Carmack to fix that mess for em.
    I swear the game just sends irrelevent bits of data to each of the players in the hope that their computer can try to figure out whats going on.....