Fixer for connection failed errors...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FineWolf

Unrealalized since 1998!
Jan 4, 2002
Somewhere
finewolf.colute.net
A lot of users are currently having some Connection Failed errors after they installed a custom map or a custom mod on their UT2004 installation. I had this problem and I found a simple solution that fixes it all.

Step 1: Download files

Step 2: Extract ALL files to your UT2004\System directory.

Step 3: If your user ini file is not called User.ini, please modify the bat file. (Change all "user" to your ini name...)

Step 4: Run modfix.bat

This should fix your problems. It changes a key in your User.ini file that causes a problem (Your current active gametype). Remember to run it everytime the problem comes back again.

Last edited:

FineWolf

Unrealalized since 1998!
Jan 4, 2002
Somewhere
finewolf.colute.net
Some of you are going to ask me "What does it do?" Well here is for you:

In your User.ini, section [GUI2K4.UT2k4ServerBrowser]
It changes the CurrentGameType value to xGame.xTeamGame

That's the only thing it does... But it's easier to run a bat file that does the job for you

DOSINI.COM: dos program I use to edit INI's
modfix.bat: the file you run
modfix.dat: the INI Modifier Script (Openable in Notepad)

Mychaeel

You can achieve the same by going into the game, switching away from Jailbreak in the server browser and restarting the game. The problem is that UT2004's code keeps Jailbreak's package around in memory if you just even once selected it in that drop-down list.

The next Jailbreak patch will incorporate a "fix" for this.

FineWolf

Unrealalized since 1998!
Jan 4, 2002
Somewhere
finewolf.colute.net
Mychaeel said:
You can achieve the same by going into the game, switching away from Jailbreak in the server browser and restarting the game. The problem is that UT2004's code keeps Jailbreak's package around in memory if you just even once selected it in that drop-down list.

The next Jailbreak patch will incorporate a "fix" for this.

Yes, but some, instead of restarting the game, will just, when they plan to use a default GameType, run the batch, and then the game.

JoshuaC

May 27, 2004
Cool thanks I put a shortcut to the Batch and when ever I play I will run it before i start UT2004.