1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

First sucessful cloned kittie!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dapngwnman, Feb 14, 2002.

1. dapngwnman

dapngwnman is a gamer

Last edited: Feb 15, 2002
  2. Catalyst

Catalyst science begets death

Let's hope it doesn't die in a few months like all the other clone attempts.

3. nic2128

nic2128 Biotech student

Another step for genetic engineering acceptance in society.

It's good to see that people might start to understand what good things can be made from biotechnology.

:D

4. Ballistophobia

Ballistophobia Hedonistic Forum Panacea

Ditto. F<b></b>uck cloning.

5. peachz

peachz BANNED

Agreed. Wonder when they'll successfully clone the first human.

-Scary thought, indeed. I'm sad to be living in these times. ::looks at computer:: Wait, no, scratch that. I'm sad that things like this have to come up in our time. Such a hard question.

6. nic2128

nic2128 Biotech student

Omg, if everybody starts talking like you I'm never gonna get a job.

:p

But seriously, cloning experiments are only a (somehow bad for most people) part of biotechnology. I agree that Frankenstein experiments must be prevented, but these new technologies will probably resolve a lot more problems than create new ones (like answer on how to feed more people, how to cure cancer, diabete, Alzheimer...).

7. peachz

peachz BANNED

Granted, nic, but my point was on the ethics of deciding whether or not something is human. Can't really decide those things, it's such a fuzzy area that it leaves hair all over the cou- err [looks at above post about cat] Anyways. :p

8. Wikkan

Wikkan Dickhead Fulfilled!

how to feed more people

You scare me.

9. Destructo6

Destructo6 8404

Cool, maybe I can get a clone of my brother's dog.

I say we go in the opposite direction we seem to be going now and create super humans. Saurons (not the Tolken type).

10. BrownyMan

BrownyMan Poet, Gentleman, Infiltrator?

WellÉ

Personally I love my cat so much, 16-17 years is far to short a time to spend with her. If cloning a pet could "indirectly" extend the life of a family pet I'm all for it.

11. Hadmar

Hadmar Queen Bitch of the Universe

Re: WellÉ

A clone starts all over couse the personality won't get cloned, too. So basicaly it won't be the same, just looking alike.

12. BrownyMan

WellÉ

That's true as well. But it's the idea that counts and who knows how much personality is based on genetics.

13. FiringAimlessly

FiringAimlessly NOT going to waste another minute on CS!

Consider the differences between identical twins, then factor in that the clone + original did not grow up together AND have a pretty big generational gap.

No "debate" exists on whether a human clone should count as a unique human being IMO.

14. BrownyMan

WellÉ

Check the link, if that's a cloned Kitty I want it :D

15. NotBillMurray

NotBillMurray It's Suntory Time!

[Personal Opinion]

Cloning is a necessary step in our scientific growth. With the changes in society that we have now, I pretty much count on science to further human evolution. Cloning, genetic engineering, and biotechnology are the key to our future survival as a species.

The fear that people have is irrationally developed from bad movies and religion. I can't see any rational reason why they would have a problem with it.

Locking this down under the banner of "morality" is no different than the persecution of scientists as being heretics as happened in the past.

[/Personal Opinion]

BTW, can you say....Re-Pet? :D

16. NotBillMurray

NotBillMurray It's Suntory Time!

Finally clicked the link. Throw another one of them in the oven and deliver ASAP! Got a two for one special? :tup:

17. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

Re-pet ... hehe!

And wtf does that link have to do with cloning??? :confused:

18. peachz

peachz BANNED

I think that the fear is that we will 'harvest' humans, as we somewhat do with stem cells, for organs and such. FA, wrong choice of words. Ethical dilemma. There. :p

19. nic2128

nic2128 Biotech student

True, and just like what happens for twins, it is possible that they won't exactly look the same, since phenotype (what you see) can be expressed or not. This is complicated stuff about expression of the genotype (the genotype is the same for clones) which can be different due to whatever reason.

And a problem clones have is shortening of telomers (due to imcomplete transcription). So clones will show a more rapid aging than normal animals. I don't really know if they have been able to go over this problem.

Monk, those are great goals, but right now most companies (and scientists) are interested by making money, sorry to break your idealism.

:p

20. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

Woah... when I clicked on the link earlier it was saying something about strippers in vegas. :confused: