1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

First Person & Third Person?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by Stunt, May 13, 2006.

1. Stunt

Stunt Underground King

Please don't call me a n00b if this is a stupid question. I'm just a little new to the Unreal series. I'm gettin' Unreal Tournament 2007 for the PS3 when it comes out. But I wanna know, can we go into Third Person view other than just the First Person? Thanks. :)

2. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

I highly doubt it.

3. Stunt

Stunt Underground King

Oh. I hope so, it was great in Unreal Championship 2.

4. truegamer

truegamer New Member

One of the main reasons it was un UC2 was because of the melee combat.

But I must admit, I also liked the 3rd person viewage in UC2.

5. Einstijn

Einstijn DutchDude

in the pc version of ut2k4 i only used the 3rd person mode to learn people wall-dodging and dodge jumping rofl
    hope its in for pc version though
    why not ? its just a minor adjustment i think :)

6. Raynor.Z

Raynor.Z Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus

I guess 3rd person view will be avalible by default on hoverboards and vehicles.
    Sure you can switch view to third person if you prefer, like in previous UT games.

7. Rain 9.0

Rain 9.0 Covert Ops

You will probably be able to switch to third-person view like in UT2004, but I doubt you will be able to swing the camera freely around your character.

Atleast I HOPE that won't be the case, because then you could look around corners using the camera instead of your face, thereby eliminating the risk of getting shot. :hmm:

8. Scuzzbuster

Scuzzbuster It's Crunchy. It's Nice.

I dont think you could play 3rd person online in UT, 03 or 04 could you? I know when 03 came out when you played in 3rd offline you couldn't even aim. Don't know if that bug got fixed ever or not.

9. briach

briach ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ

yeah people play 3rd person all the time in ut2k4.

Especially demo servers.

10. Rain 9.0

Rain 9.0 Covert Ops

If the server has third-person view enabled you can press F4 and it will switch to third-person view (or press it when you're in a vehicle and it switches to first-person). You still can't move your crosshair vertically, though...
    so hitting someone who is somewhere above you is pretty hard. ;)

It's actually quite handy when you're fighting someone on even ground and you want to land a headshot. The crosshair is almost aimed directly near the neck by default.

11. HarrySpanner

HarrySpanner coool

@ rain

yep you cant aim up or down just side to side when in 3rd person for UT, at least for 03 and 04.

now, the reason 3rd person was good in uc2 is because you didnt have to aim. all you had to do was lock on and fly around the map with your melee weapon... which is why ut>uc :D

who knows what epic will do with behind view for 07 though? at the most they will change it to allowing aiming vertically in 3rd person, but i think all PC players will choose 1st person

12. Radiosity

Radiosity Minty Fresh!

You can aim up and down, but only with a single weapon: Transloc.

13. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

Using the fact that you can't aim up or down in 3rd person is cheating in my books!

14. Holy Avenger

Holy Avenger Holy Knight

Actually, only bad players use the lock because it can really screw you up, and how is that related? It doesn't auto-aim, it just keeps them on the screen somewhere. I personally love third-person, and I was dissapointed by UT2004's implementation. That's why I like the Angel View mutator.

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  15. rhirud

rhirud Fast learning novice

Obviously in vehichles, you need both 3rd and 1st person views; and it's always enabled. 3rd person for footsoldiers can be enabled if the server administrator so chooses. Those of us who play vehichle based games usually have a mousebutton bound to 1st/3rd person switching, and we switch all the time from one to another.

It's important to remember this; the manta pilot will see you round a corner, even if you can't see him - as many lemmings defending the base in Torlan constantly fail to appreciate.

Last edited: May 20, 2006