1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

First map in 4 years!

Discussion in 'Original Unreal Tournament' started by Andeh, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Andeh

Andeh New Member

its been 4 years since I last made a map for UT99, you guys probably dont know my maps since they were pretty crappy. (a few of them are on www.ratdevelopment.com)

anyway, i miss the days of spending 7 and 8 hours at a time working on a map, so heres my first attempt in 4 years at making a map:

images are big so ill just link them, tell me what you think/how I can improve.

http://veejay.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/dm-unknown1.jpg
    http://veejay.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/dm-unknown2.jpg
    http://veejay.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/dm-unknown3.jpg
    http://veejay.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/dm-unknown4.jpg

2. K

K i bite

Better yet , pm me with a zipped copy, Ill beta test it for you.
    It looks ok for not mapping in a while. But pictures don't do experience justice. Gameplay and flow are musts for a good DM map.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  3. Rob

Rob Hole in one!

Inspired on DM-Zeto ?

4. Andeh

Andeh New Member

very much so yes :)

5. K

K i bite

So do i get to take it for a spin?
    I'll give you a nice crtique.

6. Andeh

Andeh New Member

7. K

K i bite

Missing a file called Mech9 or something like that. Please upload a new zip with that file also.

Till then I cant see it.

8. Andeh

Andeh New Member

ah right yes sorry about that, forgot it has custom music. you can re-download it now

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  9. Predcaliber

Predcaliber One Day I'l Beat Lauke

In all respect, it really looked like some parts were copied of DM-Zeto, even including the textures :/

It looks good tough, but it still looks liked an edited DM Zeto to me, and I find Zeto quite a spam map ;)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  10. Andeh

Andeh New Member

well yes the looks of the level is very much Zeto-like but I can asure you, none of the geometry is directly copied from Zeto, thats just cheap.

11. K

K i bite

Yes , it looks realy nice. Great start for a map. The rooms you have are Verry Zeto reminicent but the only thing that realy looks copied is that small encove with the pulseing blue lights. Still looks good though.

It will be alot more critiqueable when all the hallways are complete and are connected.
    All of the doors are the same except for the first one. They should all match. Just a suggestion.

Another suggestion:
    Attached is a pic. In this room I think a little ledge around the outside walls would be excelent. Would be a nice alternate route through the room / a place for people to perch and ambush / and added architecture that would make the room look more astecticly pleasing. If not a ledge then a pipe maybe players could walk on. Something to make more then on route through the room.

On the other hand you could always curve the corners to match the other room. The curved corners are very nice in that room.

One other suggestion,
    The room with the grate on the floor above the water. This could be a nice death trap. Put a button somewhere in that hallway to make the grate open and let players standing on the grate fall into toxic kill water. :D

Other then that it is comeing along good! i like the curves in the halways, Once the hallways are all connected it will be easyer to test the map flow. But it's an excelent start to what will be a nice map.

One thing about zeto I didn't like though was it is all verry confined feeling. The whole map is small narow hallways. You should add a small outside area connecting to the complex. maybe a courtyard or something, with an entrance and an exit back to the complex.

keep workin on it and keep us posted!:)

Attached Files:

12. Andeh

Andeh New Member

thanks for the crits, ill take them into consideration :D