Finally, at last, Railgun 1.0 (or...)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Papapishu

我是康
Jun 18, 2001
void
www.vovoid.com
It's up to you to decide wether I should give this out to the community.
I've fixed every single bug I could ever find, and everything works perfect.
The only thing I havent been able to test is if It can be played online or on network (same thing...)
Since I lack a propper LAN and/or WAN I's quite impossible for me to test if it works out fine online.
PLEASE do me this favor, try it online and report all the bugs you find, like "the rail dont show up", or "The weapon don't show up at all" e.t.c.
I want it to work properly before releasing it...
------
The new version have (included but not limited to) new model and skin taken from Quake 2, better animations including "idle" animations, better accuracy (like a shockrifle) without it looking weird, a new specialy designed crosshair - guaranteed to make you shoot 30% more accurate, tweaked first person mesh (removed faces that don't show up anyway), new model for the railslugs (taken from Quake 2 also), Removed altfire (until anyone finds out what it can be used for, mail me about this), Boosted the bass of the fire-sound, plus thousands of bugfixes.

Hope this will tease your bloodlust, hehe :D

Happy fragging!

Papapishu

我是康
Jun 18, 2001
void
www.vovoid.com
Ofcourse the attached file didnt follow, I sometimes HATE IE!

Code:
                            _____________     _
_/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\_\___        /====| /
/  \/  \/  \/  \/  \/  \/  \/\__|______/     |/
                                     \_\

Last edited:

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Dis is great! It's not quite perfect, but it's really really good! Now that you've made a good Q2 railgun, I gotta make a Shadow Warrior railgun.

pepslet

Feb 7, 2000
Visit site
Used it against some bots, it's very nice :) I'll try some netplay later today and tell you how it holds up.

The only thing that I notices was that it fires a bit slow, I can't remember if it was that slow in q2,.

Papapishu

我是康
Jun 18, 2001
void
www.vovoid.com
it fire with exactly the same rate, 1.6 - 1.7 seconds, no more, no less...
I was quite orthodox when getting to some details like thisone :)

Smoke39:
What's not perfect about it?
And how's the Shadow warrior railgun? Never heard of it...

LP

*wants to be your friend*
Mar 2, 2001
Ireland
www.mvpb.net
notdownloaded yet , but wanna see new model..
the amount of downloads loks pretty pomising...
although i wonder about polys at one stage i had over 12000 in view =/

Papapishu

我是康
Jun 18, 2001
void
www.vovoid.com
really? there should be no more that in Q2, but maybe it counts ALL polys drawn overall?
Even the ones you dont see?
You can't see the other peoples first-person mesh for ex., but maybe it counts those too?

Zaphrod

President of the Universe
Sep 27, 2000
Betelgeuse V
Visit site
Well the new skin is nice but there is a bug in the code. If while you have the railgun you click the right mouse (Alt fire) a couple times the railgun locks up and wont shoot and you wont be able to change weapons afterward either. Also the alt fire should fire the primary if it doesnt have an alt function.

Also, though not a bug or a design flaw, I think that no matter what the original firing rate of the weapon was, it should fire faster in UT. Without an Alt fire people arent going to like using a weapon that fires so slow and without and alternate attack.

Still I like the sound as is and the reload anim is cool. The skin is great now and I love the Rail effect.

I would like to know if you used 3DS max or Milkshape to make this and how you animated it.

MachDelta

Haphazard Nobody
Apr 29, 2001
Canada
Visit site
Oh the nostalgia... all I need now is a copy of the rocket launcher, and that godforsaken "Shwoop!" noise you make when you jump, and i'll officially have traveled 4 years back in time :D

MachDelta

Haphazard Nobody
Apr 29, 2001
Canada
Visit site
Hmmm... ok, I had some really weird clipping with the railgun, almost like it was placed way too far ahead of the player or something... (see picture)

Also, I noticed the 3rdP model is place a liiittle high, like its resting ontop of your fist *L*

But the feel of the weapon was PERFECT. Absof*ckingloutly perfect. I messed around on DM-Axon, got my ass kicked, but I started getting my 0ld sk00l skillz back. Next map, I 0wnZ0red those bots.... ah yes... the feeling of leaping off a ledge, excecuting a 180 and picking off someone else in mid jump... too sweet. :D

Papapishu

我是康
Jun 18, 2001
void
www.vovoid.com
Originally posted by Zaphrod
If while you have the railgun you click the right mouse (Alt fire) a couple times the railgun locks up and wont shoot and you wont be able to change weapons afterward either. Also the alt fire should fire the primary if it doesnt have an alt function.

I would like to know if you used 3DS max or Milkshape to make this and how you animated it.
I mainly used 3D studio because I know more about that, but I used MilkShape for the finnishing touches (and import/export).

I got some news, I added a zooming function to the alt-fire and I think that makes up for the slow weapon.
It is as accurate as a sniperrifle, because I made it shoot from the exact middle of the screen, like you were looking from inside the barrel. The downside was that the white steam was blocking the view, but I made it work just fine by using the variable bOwnerNoSee, which made it invisible to the owner alone, the other ones can see it perfectly.
It makes you look through the spiral.
I think this feature rocks bigtime.
I'm gonna add a nice crosshair for it as well, anyone a good crosshair-maker here?
Make something awesome, something that spits evil, but at the same time is good for aiming (the sniper-crosshair simply isn't evil enough for a weapon like the railgun... :D)

Now the misalignment.
I've spent the last hours trying to set things straight, like the "too high handle"-problem, and now the position is OK, but the tilt could be better.
The tilt is very VERY hard to get around, Most normal UT-weapons have this problem too.
Either I have to tilt the arm-piece OUT from the body, making it look a bit strange ir IN to the body, making it go through the chest of the players...
Maybe if the model is a bit smaller so that the arm-piece stops before the arm?
But then it looses some macho-factor...

About the clipping, I've had this problem woth lots of weapons, but not the UT-weapons.
I've checked and they are just as deep as mine, but My weapons always clip.
Is there some kind of border, or do I have to use a setting or is there some other trick to make it work.

ANYONE WHO CAN ANSWER THIS IS WELCOME TO!

Originally posted by Peregrine
w00t!
The Blue Trail is back!!!!!
(forgive the snapshot rendered by SOFTWARE...)
Where has it been? :)

I must tell you that I have had some weird texture problems, maybe because its an old mesh and it may have old stuff left in it, but at some oints, it seems as if the texture becomes invisible in some places.
Anyone knows if this might have with the code to do..?
The import lines maybe?

Papapishu

我是康
Jun 18, 2001
void
www.vovoid.com
It's a glitch that I can't do anything about, it's like the one that the shockrifle hits a far away wall and makes an explosion before the beam hits the wall.
It's because the trail sops when it hits something and a new one is spawned after it (behind the pawn)

I sit up all night and try to figure out new stuff and fix old bugs so i have a micro-improoved version out again, that have most bugs you've mentioned fixed...
Here you go: