FileFront Closing "Indefinitely" March 30th

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Chandler

Self Unemployed
Jan 20, 2008
Looks like I have to go back to fileshack. :(

At least it's better than fileplanet.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
FileFront was great. I practically never browsed around on it, but I was always happy to see a link to a FileFront mirror whenever I searched for downloads anywhere.

mapraider is a good site for all the old content (let's hope it stays up) but it seems like no new maps get approved anymore. I submitted my map in August and it's still awaiting approval. I contacted them thrice but got no anwer. They had a few new maps approved lately, but that "few" amounts to just two for UT2004...
It's still a huge repository of maps, but it feels like the site is just laying there, waiting to die.

SPIDEYUT2K7

I see a blue screen
Feb 22, 2008
City of the Polution
No! this cant be happening! i use very often filefront because the good speed on their mirrors, is a shame really, this site was functioning for years! why they are closing it now? :(

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Uhh, wait, are you guys sure this isn't April fools? :\

Hah nice one.

But if it's the case, you can count on me for never getting back there. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Seriously, what a ****ing waste of our time that would be. Not to mention that some people have large files uploaded there with small download limits from their ISP's.

Last edited:

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
mapraider is a good site for all the old content (let's hope it stays up) but it seems like no new maps get approved anymore. I submitted my map in August and it's still awaiting approval. I contacted them thrice but got no anwer. They had a few new maps approved lately, but that "few" amounts to just two for UT2004...
It's still a huge repository of maps, but it feels like the site is just laying there, waiting to die.

They pretty much stopped approving maps due to not getting help from the community when they asked for it last year. They got something like five percent of what they needed if I remember correctly. Add to that, I think its only one person that handles approving of maps. So my guess is he has decided not to take the website that seriously anymore due to a feeling like no one is interested in the site. Which I can't blame him for.

QAPete

Chief Muckety Muck
Aug 17, 1999
Pottstown, PA, USA
www.beyondunreal.com
holy crap load...

this news even revived QAPete

Hehehe. Yeah, I pay a little attention, even these days.

What did happen to eDome? they where my favorite BU mirror, i got great speeds from them (Finland isen't all that far away from Soviet Denmark, afterall), and i miss them too :(

Same deal. Economic decision. Both FileFront and eDome ended up being sold to different companies, who had different policies that did NOT include pro-bono service to the community.

Frankly, even BeyondUnreal is being affected by the economy. Our long-time host (ServerCave) has lost some important hosting business, and has been forced to relocate the remaining servers, including our web and database servers, in a shared environment. I hope that this last move is the last, because the alternatives to ServerCave are not good ones...

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
They pretty much stopped approving maps due to not getting help from the community when they asked for it last year. They got something like five percent of what they needed if I remember correctly. Add to that, I think its only one person that handles approving of maps. So my guess is he has decided not to take the website that seriously anymore due to a feeling like no one is interested in the site. Which I can't blame him for.
This may all be true and you may call me ungrateful, but that doesn't make the site any better!
It's still THE site to go to if you want maps and I will be sad if it does eventually kick the bucket entirely, but it has to be pointed out that it can not serve as a replacement for FileFront in its current state, when it comes to hosting maps.
Let alone everything else FileFront offered.

I made Rapidshare mirrors for the little stuff I had on FileFront, but I don't like this solution much because of the waiting times and because of the association with shady business.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I use MediaFire as well, it's clean, nice and free.
I can't say I liked FileFront too much though, last year 80% of downloads didn't run for me (clicked Download -> All servers are busy. Try again later. But trying again later does nothing but return the same error...), and the speeds were quite low (I have a 256 KB/s internet and all they ever gave me was 100 KB/s). Some of my own uploaded files were deleted for no reason at all, one link to a ZIP file was replaced by a link to a WAV file, and statistics showed all 0s. Though FF's glory is in quantities, too bad all the unique content will be lost.

[NBK]Rattman

Goo God
Feb 22, 2005
nbkillas.com
I use MediaFire as well, it's clean, nice and free.
I can't say I liked FileFront too much though, last year 80% of downloads didn't run for me (clicked Download -> All servers are busy. Try again later. But trying again later does nothing but return the same error...), and the speeds were quite low (I have a 256 KB/s internet and all they ever gave me was 100 KB/s). Some of my own uploaded files were deleted for no reason at all, one link to a ZIP file was replaced by a link to a WAV file, and statistics showed all 0s. Though FF's glory is in quantities, too bad all the unique content will be lost.

I have never gotten the all servers are busy message...even when huge patches were released and I was right on the downloads...sorry to hear that

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
Alot of the links refused to work, I kept getting sent to the same add page then onto the dounload if i'm luckyand thay kept removieng maps I was always just about to get off thair site. But it ment I didnt have to sighn up and pay for a site or end up with ten minut to two hour cues for files and everyone used it.

This wont be good for modders everywhere.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Sadly, we are losing a lot more than a DL mirror here, we are also losing what was a hub and home for entire modding communities, where will the STALKER modders go now for instance? and how many of thease mods will be lost forever, and not be reuploaded elsewhere? and gone is all the modding information that had a home on their forums, which has practically served as other game's version of the "UnrealWiki" for a long time now, this is where modders went to look up code examples and get help for alot of games.