1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FHINV-RedTower

Discussion in 'General mod talk' started by Xzen, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Xzen

Xzen New Member

Basically Facing Worlds with only one tower and a huge space craft on the middle of the asteroid. 3 Drone guns are mounted on the Ship and the monsters spawn underneath the ship. Destroy the Drone guns and you will here "Move on to the next objective", meaning destroy the other drone guns and the monsters.

=Weapons include=

Translocator (respawn with)
    Shield Gun (respawn with)
    Assault Rifle (respawn with)
    Link Gun (respawn with)
    Bio Rifle
    Flare Launcher
    Turbo Laser
    Lighining gun
    Laser Rifle
    Volva
    Mini-Rocket Launcher
    Rail Gun
    Target Painter

(I am thinking of including the Minigun and/or Mine Layer)

=Pickups include=

Adrenaline x11
    Health x4
    Big Keg O' Health x1
    SuperShieldPack x1
    UDamage x1
    Ammo for each weapon

=Other Features=
    Drone Guns
    Original CTF-Face Music (Foregone)

=Here are some pics=

Overview
    [​IMG]

Behind the Base
    [​IMG]

Inside the Base
    [​IMG]

Mid Sniper Loft
    [​IMG]

Highest Loft (Top of Base)
    [​IMG]

What do ya think? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2004
  2. Kaithofis

Kaithofis The Seldom Seen Kid

Well
    one thing; There's already a sort-like map; Green Tower of something.
    This mainly spoils all originalty, unless you change the theme a little bit and call it FHI-GreenTower][ ;)

Since GreenTower was also a pretty cheap-assed map, the spaceship replacing the simple cude as already a major improvement.
    But sure, we'll take it, for the sake of quantity, although I'd suggest adding a couple of old trees, changing the texture on the terrain, dim the lighning a bit and call it FHI-GreenTower][.

So just send it over when it's done.

Ow, and how does it work with the objectives exactly?
    You mean the monsters won't spawn until you destroyed the cannons?

3. Xzen

Xzen New Member

The main reason why i did this map because i was so disappointed with Green Tower (no offense to it's creator). So i wanted to make my own version of the sort

The drone guns have nothing to do with order. If you destroy them or not the monsters still spawn after 45 seconds. There are just something more to blow-up :lol: :D and it adds to the affect of a real spaceship and stuff.

Plus to make a GreenTower][ besides all of the stuff you said i would also have to change the color of the terrain and change the skybox. AKA i like it the way it is.

4. -]RONO[-_666

-]RONO[-_666 New Member

Hm.. if i remember.. Desert Assault has the same sort of setup. There are drone guns on the 'alien base' which have to be destroyed if you want to stay alive. Destroying them or not, the aliens spawn anyway after 50 sec of the start.

I personally haven't played green tower really.. sure i tried it once but didn't liked it. Your 'freedom' is so limited.
    Your version has lot more to offer i guess and certainly more room to move yer feet around.
    Btw: it's not possible to change the texture on the terrain, this 'terrain' in face classic is actually a huge static mesh. Of course it's possible to change the mesh it's material, but that requires some work and a new save.

So what is actually changed on this map... or just took the map and added FHI stuff in it..?
    Anyway, what Ronin said. we'll take it. :)
    You may want to add a few things to the map so it doesn't really look like a cheap copy of the original face classic, although we know it is. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2004
  5. Kaithofis

What I meant with changing the texture of the terrain is putting in another new layer at the top, with a grass-like texture.
    But it's also fine the way it is, feel free to send it when it's done or you have a beta ready.

6. Parser

Parser Hello

Just FYI, you can easily change the skins on a static mesh. Just edit the Skins section under Display in its defaultproperties (Click Add New and click Use with the texture highlighted in the texture browser). I wouldn't go too mad with this though, because the game still loads the original texture/s. Interesting alteration to the map though. :)

Also, how is GreenTower "cheap-assed"? Yes, it is the UT1 version's bsp, no, I don't want to reduce frame-rates and use the higher-polygon FaceClassic meshes. The layout is pretty nice for a defensive area, and it's not exactly a cubed, fullbright map, so what exactly is wrong with it?

7. Kaithofis

The fact that it is a copy of face
    with a total of, I believe, 4 Statics added
    and a cube as spawning platform.
    Bit simple.

8. Moofis

Moofis New Member

Hmmm i wanna try it. got a d/l link?

9. Parser

Parser Hello

But as a FHI map, it works, doesn't it? :p

10. Kaithofis

Wiseguy :lol:
    But this would be a good addition to the pack, yes, a good addition indeed.

But seriously, I want to clear everything up right now.
    Most maps rock, some are a bit too simple for me. Like GreenTower, Underground, and the Zelda church, although that one has some nice details here and there. But please don't take it the wrong way, I'm used to the quality of DM maps. So excuse me if I call any map cheap-assed.

11. Parser

Parser Hello

Could you imagine stock-quality maps in FHI though? :x

Usually, there are more monsters "on-screen" at once than normal Invasion on DM maps, so imagine the frame-rates.. urgh..

12. Kaithofis

Well, my computer just takes it all, so I wouldn't know :lol:

13. -]RONO[-_666

-]RONO[-_666 New Member

Now i wonder who is wiseguy here. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2004
  14. Xzen

Xzen New Member

LOL thanks for chatting about MY map ;). Anyway i don't really want to add grass/trees/plantlife/etc. because then it won't fit the theme of the map, which is the outer space theme. I also have another map you guys might be interested in... I made it as DM and it would just need some changing around of weapons and ammo and add some health/powerups, and FHMonsterSpawnPoints.

Here's the other map

[​IMG]

DM-SunGod

By default it is low grav to provide a more quicker approach to the retrievement of weapons aspect, but FHINV boasts the Transolcator feature (which in DM by default is 'disabled') so i don't know if i want to keep it low grav our change it to normal grav...

One last thing,
    If i wanted to send you guys some maps where do i send them to and how do i go about doing it... I think it might be easiest for me just to send the .zip over MSN... IF anyone wants to try it i/m instashock120@hotmail.com

15. bcwood16

bcwood16 Baz_uK

Hi,

Looks good :) About the low grav or just traslocator thing. Guess it depends how big it is. By the looks of it (size of weapon placements) its a pretty decent size for a FHI map. I think perhaps you should mess about with gravity, alot of FH maps dont have that, so will add to a different type of fun. Also as u said adds to the theam.

Spawning monsters right in the middle and having weapons and ammo on edge with player starts in between (outer ring) would work. Make sure u have some powerfull weapons. Players would then have to keep the monsters back, else rick being pushed of edge :).

Anyway, thats just my thoughts. Sure what ever u do will be great

16. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf New Member

I don't like low grav.
    I guess it might be OK on a map or two but I'm not sure this is the one to do it on (urban landscape with tall building type maps are probably better since there is a real need for low grav there).

I like high pressure maps so I'd love to see DM-SunGod made into an FHI map. Those skaarj energy balls will knock you to your death, yet as mentioned above you need to keep the monsters contained (which would be much harder than in sya, FHI-Underground) or you're in trouble

I agree that a lot of maps out there are functional rather than chockfull of eye candy. Adding eye-candy is fine by me as long as they stay functional (I like the pics of the remake of Underground, looks like there may be a few more "props" that can be used for cover)

17. Xzen

Xzen New Member

Well both maps are done...

FHINV-RedTower -- Final Summary
    Added another Protection Vest where the Big Keg O' Health used to be, (behind the base), and replaced the Super Shield Pack on top of the base with a Protection Vest. Replaced the Bio Rifle with the Minigun, and added the Mine Layer in. Replaced some of the Assualt ammo pickups with some Link Gun Pickups. Removed 2 out of the 4 health packs for more of a challenge. Target Painter remains.

FHINV-SunGod -- Final Summary
    Replaced Minigun with Mini-Rocket Launcher. Replaced Rocket Launcher with Flare Launcher. Replaced Classic Sniper Rifle with the Laser Rifle. Replaced Shock Rifle with Turbo Rifle, Replaced Flak Cannon with RazorBomb. Replaced Link Gun with Rail Gun. Fixed SkyBox (had a small problem). Added 2 Health Pickups. Added 4 Health Vials. Added 2 Protection Vests. Added 4 Adrenaline Pickups. Added Redeemer with Delayed Spawn in Center of the Arena (Hidden Base).

18. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf New Member

I like that!
    Good thing the monsters don't know how to use it :)

19. Xzen

Xzen New Member

Yes it is a good thing... A VERY GOOD THING!!

I played around for testing all by myself without bots and i would be fighting and all of a sudden a redeemer would appear and new monsters would spawn... I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN WRECKED!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope to release them soon

20. -]RONO[-_666

-]RONO[-_666 New Member

Great! SunGod hmmm..smells like a REAL challange!! :D

Now Xzen: what do you want to do with those maps? Do you wan't to release them as single maps or do you want them to be included in the BP?
    It isn't very clear to me.. do you want to be part of the team or not. If so, please sign up @ my forum. ;)