Fave game of the moment: Lego Star Wars

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
Available for all 3 consoles and the PC, Lego Star Wars is a nice way to get a Star Wars fix without completely ruining the movie for you (even though it does cover Ep3). Beating the game isn't very difficult; without varying difficulties or lives I managed to clear the three episodes in about 6 hours. You don't die; you have a 4-heart health bar which, zeroed, causes your character to explode into a shower of Lego blocks and dump a fraction of the "studs" you're carrying, kind of like Sonic, so difficulty is as difficult as your ability to defend yourself. There's over 40 characters ranging from the useless Gonk to the ridiculously underpowered General Grievous (pictured multiple times below). I say underpowered because you'd think anyone capable of wielding 4 lightsabers and worth 200,000 studs (not easy if you're busy unlocking everything else) would be as much a killing machine as the Clone Wars miniseries made him out to be.

One of the neatest things about the game is the currency and collection. The "studs" (little Lego dots, essentially) come at a rate which is respectable and, for me, has slowed down the road to the secret level. You need to collect a certain number of studs in each level to move towards unlocking the secret stage. Of course, these studs also go towards purchasing new items and characters.

The other neat thing about the game is the game's central hub, Dexter's Diner. Like in every level of the game, there's a ton of things to destroy (using your character's Force powers or weapon), but the fun part happens when you go outside. The outside acts as a garage for your vehicles (which you unlock in each level) and acts as the staging area for some mini-battles among your collected characters, who constantly roam around the Diner. See attachments for some examples.

Pic one: left to right: Obi-Wan Ep1, Qui-Gon (me), Mace Windu Ep2, Anakin Ep3, Obi-Wan Ep3 disperse after cleaning out General Grievous
Pic two: left to right: Darth Maul (me) and a Geonosian watch Qui-Gon, Mace Windu Ep3 and Obi-Wan Ep3 contend with General Grievous

Attachments

• lsw004.jpg
    lsw004.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 108
  • lsw005.jpg
    lsw005.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 100

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I've heard mixed reviews on this, but as tends to be the norm, most of those who dislike it, don't like the Lego aspect of it (Nintendo Syndrome, it looks like a game for 5yo gamers, so it automatically cannot be any fun).

I may rent this if they ever put the Cube version on the rental shelves (up in the air, since I'm still waiting for a Cube version of Chaos Theory or MK: Deception. At least this is not an M title so I'm more likely to see it).

[Ci]Mazza

Trigger Me Baby!
Mar 5, 2000
England
Visit site
Its a great game, really good fun. The star wars cutscenes are ace in lego and the game on the whole is just very nice to play.

In co-op you can injure your buddy as well. The amount of times impromptu duels have broken out when one of us is playing as general grevious and gets a little carried away is getting ridiculous.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
For the record, after checking the local vid store and the nearest Blockbuster, I came home and did a little research, only to discover that Lego SW was not released on "all consoles". Specifically, not on the Cube.

Therefore, I hereby express my ardent wish that Dopefish be devoured by an alligator at his earliest convenience, for getting my hopes up only to have them dashed mercilessly on the rocks of noncubism.

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
And both are small and blocky. As an aside, so is a lonely man.
Coincidence?
I love my Cube.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I think we got us a three-man protest committee here! C'mon guys! Miyamoto will HAVE to get Lego Star Wars on the Cube if ALL THREE of us complain together! CHAAAAARGE!!!!

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
W0RF said:
For the record, after checking the local vid store and the nearest Blockbuster, I came home and did a little research, only to discover that Lego SW was not released on "all consoles". Specifically, not on the Cube.

Sure it is! I was playing it on my GameCube last night!

Okay, I'm lying. I don't even have a Cube. I just wanted to imagine the look on your face when you read that. :D

I tried the demo on XBox. It seemed okay, but I got bored of it after a few minutes. However, my 6 yr od daughter liked it, so I might get it for her.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
W0RF said:
I think we got us a three-man protest committee here! C'mon guys! Miyamoto will HAVE to get Lego Star Wars on the Cube if ALL THREE of us complain together! CHAAAAARGE!!!!

comic-book-guy-collector.gif

Evil_Cope

For the Win, motherfather!
Aug 24, 2001
Balton said:
In a capitalistic world, yes.

Actually it's one of the most innovative bits of art i've seen in some time, and generally a pleasant game.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
mega-bump!

Lego Star Wars is coming out on GAMECUBE!!! \o/ \o/ \o/

Lego Star Wars, which came out in April for PS2/Xbox/PC/GBA, is finally making it's way to the Nintendo Gamecube. For those who don't know what it is, Lego Star Wars is a highly acclaimed action/adventure game from Traveller's Tales (published by Eidos). In it you play as Lego-ized versions of many Star Wars characters, and features a great co-op two player mode. Nintendojo reports that there is a full page ad on the back cover of the latest Nintendo Power featuring the Cube version. In addition, Amazon has it listed here. According to Amazon it is slated for an October 14 release, at a price of $29.99.