Fast Guinness?!?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mute

All you have to do is smile!
Kill the marketing department!!!!
Source: here

Drinkers Bitter Over 'Fast' Guinness
Mon Feb 25, 9:08 AM ET
By Kevin Smith

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Plans by British drinks giant Diageo to cut the time needed to pour the perfect pint of Guinness stout were met with cries of "blasphemy" in the beer's homeland on Saturday.

In a bid to revive declining sales, the makers of Ireland's national tipple are testing a new pouring system which they say will slash the waiting time on a pint to 15-25 seconds from the traditional two minutes.

News of the move came after Diageo's half-year results this week showed a one percent dip in overall Guinness volumes, with a four percent fall in the Irish republic.

"A two-minute pour is not relevant to our customers today," the company's chief executive Paul Walsh said.

For more than two centuries -- since Arthur Guinness founded his famous brewery at Dublin's St. James' Gate -- drinkers have been accustomed to waiting for their stout.

The new technique, which uses ultrasound to release bubbles in the stout to form the characteristic white head instantly, will all but eliminate waiting time.

Emmet Bunting, barman at The Brazen Head in Dublin -- reputedly Ireland's oldest pub, dating back to the 12th century -- said the move would be stoutly resisted.

"Our customers will certainly not go for that. Guinness is a traditional drink and I don't think people will sacrifice that for a little extra speed and efficiency," he said.

Richard Donovan, manager of Doheny & Nesbitt's bar in central Dublin, concurred.

"You pull a pint (of Guinness) for an Irishman and he expects to wait. If you pull one in less than a minute he'll say 'where the hell did you drag that from'," he said.

Saturday afternoon customers at O'Dwyers bar were skeptical.

Declan McCauley, a student, doubted whether the move would make any difference even if it were accepted by Ireland's notoriously conservative drinking community.

"Most young people drink cider and lager not because it's quicker but because they don't like Guinness. If anything this could alienate the core stout drinkers," he said. Guinness sales may be declining -- volumes have been slipping for the past two years, according to a Guinness Ireland spokeswoman -- but the drink and its iconography are inextricably linked with the image of Ireland.

Attempts to tamper with such a cherished touchstone could well bring matters to a head.

CrazyCougar

CATatonic
Jan 5, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
What were they drinking when they wrote this piece? The pun's are thicker than a pint of Guinness!

Guinness ---> The Beer you've been training for... :D

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Guiness is for real men! (and women:)). How dare they tamper with tradition. The wait time is and always will be an important part of drinking Guiness. It's all about patience and desire. The longer you sit, staring at that nice thick pint, the more you covet the refreshing taste of healty stout!

The_Inflictor

Honest and unmerciful
Mar 25, 2000
Midlands
Who should care.

The taste of Guiness is dependant on many things. Proper Irish Guinness tastes different to English Guiness and so forth. The condition of pub pipelines and the portion of the keg also affects the taste.

As long as it generally tastes the same, all is good. It will still give you tar for **** in the morning.

The_Inflictor

Honest and unmerciful
Mar 25, 2000
Midlands
Originally posted by MoBAcE
they could try making it taste decent in general... instead of just making into another thing europeans like to use for martyrdom

Just because the most famous American export is Budweiser :lol:

The_Inflictor

Honest and unmerciful
Mar 25, 2000
Midlands
Originally posted by MoBAcE
budweiser = ****e

Scouse kid #1: Ian Rush said that if I don't drink my milk, I won't be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley.

Scouse kid #2: Accrington Stanley? Who are they?

Scouse kid #1: Exactly!

larrystorch

Jul 16, 2001
The Right Coast
www.beyondunreal.com
Originally posted by Prophetus
Guiness is for real men! (and women:)). How dare they tamper with tradition. The wait time is and always will be an important part of drinking Guiness. It's all about patience and desire. The longer you sit, staring at that nice thick pint, the more you covet the refreshing taste of healty stout!

Here! Here!

/me pours a pint for Proph

SkummyB|BuF

Would you like to see me dance?
Feb 19, 2000
Liverpool, UK
www.bombardiers.org
Originally posted by Prophetus

Never had ya down for a Guiness drinker Proph :tup: :)

/me is starting to develop a fond spot for Caffrey's now thanks to Dedmeat an Maz :)

[Ci]Mazza

Trigger Me Baby!
Mar 5, 2000
England
Visit site
Originally posted by The_Inflictor

Scouse kid #1: Ian Rush said that if I don't drink my milk, I won't be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley.

Scouse kid #2: Accrington Stanley? Who are they?

Scouse kid #1: Exactly!

Scouse kid #2: Naaaaaaaaa, gimme some!!

Scouse kid #1: Gerroff!!!

Scouse kid #2: Gimme some!!!!