1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Famas needs m203

Discussion in 'New Version Suggestions' started by SGT.Peelover, Sep 2, 2001.

1. Snakeye

Snakeye Mk82HD

Not exactly on FAMAS+203, but why does the FAMAS only have semi/full? The armory states it has burst too. And why does it take that long to switch between the fire modes?

And I really don't see why, on the one hand people complain about 40mm GLs, but on the other want them for every weapon..

Snakeye :D

2. DarkBls

DarkBls Inf Ex-admin

Hu???
    You know you have a selector to choose between semi/auto or semi/burst group.

BTW the selection is fast

3. Snakeye

Snakeye Mk82HD

???

OK, you got me puzzled now.

If I press 'f'(my fire mode key) it switches between semi/full.
    Do I have to press the attachment key to change that to semi/burst?

And compared to the fire selector of both SIG551 and M16 it takes longer to switch fire modes on my system(PII-450)..

4. jaunty

jaunty If you disagree with me, you're wrong.

Yes.

Weapon mode is the same.

Weapon Attatchment defines which weapon modes are available.

Yes, it does take longer to swtich, this is because of the positioning of the selector lever. But you shouldn't need to. Unless you're that damn lazy that you can't take your finger off the trigger in Auto mode. :rolleyes:

5. Snakeye

Snakeye Mk82HD

Oh my..

You should put that in the manual, and if it's in you should force old forum regulars to read the manual..

Thanks anyway,

6. striderteen

striderteen New Member

Why would you ever want an M-203 on the FAMAS when you can put rifle grenades on it?

7. DarkBls

DarkBls Inf Ex-admin

Because the recoil is horrible with muzzle grenades !

8. striderteen

striderteen New Member

...which is an acceptable trade-off for having a longer-ranged weapon with three times the killing radius.

9. DarkBls

DarkBls Inf Ex-admin

It is not what our army thought when they purchased M203 !!

10. poaw

poaw You used to sleep easy at night.

Stiderteen their is obviously a very good reason most countires use grenade launchers instead of rifle grenades. I also put more faith in the weapon procurement descisions of a professional military, than I do of a teenager with 0 military experience.

11. Snakeye

Snakeye Mk82HD

Well, poaw, if you don't believe striderteen, believe the IDF.
    They use both M203 and rifle-grenades, which shows that, though the M203 is a potent weapon, the IDF didn't phase out rifle grenades because of their obvious advantages. And I, personally, think the IDF is the 'western' army with most combat experience in the past 30 years.

I think striderteen posted some good links on the topic of rifle-grenades(in other threads..), if you have time you might want to read them..

12. poaw

I have read them.

That was post was in response to him asserting that he knew better than a professional military. Despite having never fired a rifle-grenade nor a grenade launcher.

13. Snakeye

Snakeye Mk82HD

Where did he pretend that? Maybe I can't read that good between the lines..

Anyway, do the French use the M203 alone, or do they keep rifle-grenades like the IDF does?

14. DarkBls

DarkBls Inf Ex-admin

Humm good question.. I will ask to my friend.

15. Snakeye

Snakeye Mk82HD

DarkBls, I really apprechiate the fact you quote the post you're referring to, but could you possibly only quote the part you're referring to?

I know it's nitpicking, but it makes it easier if it was a longer post or contained more than two different parts..

BTW: I got to play a bit of INF, and since I had to try out that trigger group switch, I played a bit with the FAMAS, and I habe to say, that I really like it - I even am quite good at shooting from the hip in burst mode. Guess I found my new CQB weapon..

16. DarkBls

DarkBls Inf Ex-admin

Fixed ;)

17. striderteen

striderteen New Member

I have never claimed that I have done so, nor have I ever represented myself as having military experience. The fact that I am not "professional military" does not invalidate my arguments; who I am is largely irrelevant.

It's my arguments that are relevant, and you're not responding to them.

18. poaw

ok addressing your argument that heavily increased recoil and loss of accuracy is a reasonable trade-off for increased range and killing radius.

The 40mm is more effective in a squad support role, because it allows engagement of an area target up to 350 meters away and point targets up to 150 meters away. Most infantry engagements take place at less than 100 meters. The M203 is more versatile and accurate for the average user. They can be used against light vehicles. Rifle grenades can also do this but, they are more difficult to fire accurately. A standard load of rifle grenades is 6. A standard load of 40mm ammo is 36, which allows more flexibility in terms of what you can choose to use on it.
    Infantry don't fight in a vaccum. They can call on better equipped units if they really need firepower at extended ranges.

19. Snakeye

Snakeye Mk82HD

Yep, that's compareing one soldier with M203 to one soldier with RG.

Look at a squad, you'll find only 1-3 men(or so) equipped with M203s. Taken the versatile British hand/rifle-grenade, every man in the squad could take 6 rifle grenades.
    If you take a squad of 12 men that's 72-108 40mm grenades compared tp 72 RGs; so same number or about 2/3, but every RG has a better kill radius, plus you can fire 12 simultaneously(sp?) compared to 2-3 40mm. That can be handy when engageing a larger force in an ambush.

Now I don't say RGs are the only possible sollution, but they have their applications, where they are far more effective than the 40mm can ever be.
    The M203 has it's applications too, but especially against vehicles it's not as useful as a RG, since there are no dedicated AT grenades(HEDP being the best at armor penetration IIRC).

Both systems have their strengths and limitations, but saying either one is the ultimate sollution is wrong IMO.
    For general infantry applications the RG seems better suited, while M203s work better for more specialized roles.
    Perhaps the IDFs way is the best. Have them both, so you can use every system to it's advantage.

20. striderteen

striderteen New Member

I wonder if you noticed that I was being rather facetious with "who needs the -203 when you can get RGs". They're different weapons with different applications, different advantages and disadvantages:

- The M-203 is probably more accurate when in the hands of a trained grenadier, and is lighter so more ammunition can be carried.

- Rifle grenades don't require a specialized weapon and so can be carried by every member of a squad, and pack a MUCH bigger explosive punch.

I shall cut-and-paste the part of the article that summarizes this:

We don't have the accuracy problem with the M-203 because the lovely respawning ammunition supply in the Infiltration range allows us to train as much as we want. The real army doesn't have that luxury, and the M-203 isn't even part of the second-best thing to range time, the MILES training system. Real-life rifle grenades have the advantage of being easily trained with in the real world thanks to the use of re-usable inert practice rounds.

The above is kind of irrelevant to Infiltration, but it's why I'm such a fan of rifle grenades -- my real life military advocacy spills over into my favorite near-real-life military simulation.

If the training problem can be beat, I see no problem with keeping the M-203 for a squad's dedicated grenadiers. Folding-fin rifle/hand grenades should replaced conventional hand-only grenades for everyone else.