Fallout: New Vegas

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
I don't think they've said anything about what the plans are for the PC versions of the DLC. All they've said, I think, is that it's "exclusive" to Xbox Live, but in many cases that just means it's console-exclusive. Just like it was with Fallout 3.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I don't think they've said anything about what the plans are for the PC versions of the DLC. All they've said, I think, is that it's "exclusive" to Xbox Live, but in many cases that just means it's console-exclusive. Just like it was with Fallout 3.

But it was a timed exclusive. Regardless, those who get the PC or PS3 version will be waiting but who knows how long.

Played it four several hours last night. All comments about the similar look to Fallout 3 are correct, and that means more than graphics. So far I've noticed most of the same inventory, same locale decorations, same outfits reappear, and some of the same music. It is very much an 'Add On' element, so a lack of a numeral in the title makes sense. In short, the comments from others about this are true; if you didn't like Fallout 3 then you might as well stay clear. If you did...well you'll love this too.

It's great! There is just as much new as is old, and by bringing back some of the game elements from the earlier games (reputation, factions, ect) they really expanded the scope of the game world and what you can do in it. Most of the guns I've encountered so far are new and details like ammo manufacturing, damage threshold, and a better tuned repair system are brilliant elements to the whole survivalist thing. This game is very western, and comes off as a western right off the bat. There's an emphasis on wilderness, and you'll be using campfires to cook recipes for better meals or concoct special items using collected materials like some kind of grizzled alchemist.

I'm currently playing the game on Very Hard with the Hardcore mode enabled. I was under the impression that Hardcore mode would be an extra difficulty in itself, but really it's a setting you can enable outside of difficulty selection (meaning that you can play the game on normal and still have it active). I know some players are weary about the Hardcore mode, but I love it. It makes the Survival traits all the more necessary and makes the experience more immersive (at least for me). The way things like Sleep Deprivation, Water Consumption, and Eating are handled it's much like the scale used to rate how many Rads you have. They slowly raise as you progress and you'll have to make pit stops to rest, eat, or drink as you get reminders about your "___ level increasing." The new spin on slower healing isn't what I was expecting, but it certainly changes how I went about combat scenarios in Fallout 3. Basically you use a healing item and it increases your health a specific amount for a specific set of seconds. For instance, a Stimpack gives you 7 health for 25 seconds or something like that. It's an interesting dynamic for the post fight rehabilitation but it sort of cancels out the "heal during a fight" aspect that can sometimes strike me the wrong way, like it did in Fallout 3. There's also the fact that broken limbs are harder to heal, but now you can carry items like a doctor's bag that let you mend bones on the go. The only other way to fix this without specific perks in the Hardcore mode is to see a doctor, or at least so I've noticed so far. In one fight I broke my leg and spent a good two days in the wilderness before I saw a medic about it. Little details like this keep me in the game, where in Fallout 3 it was a little harder to get into the whole "The Road" feel when I could just take care of it with a quick menu selection of the stimpack.

Basically, Hardcore mode keeps me out of the menu more during the action so I can spend more time in the wasteland, which I think is a very good thing.

Last edited:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Apparently, it's quite buggy, some say even more so than Fo3 was at launch.. mayhabs i'll just wait for patches at the very least.

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
But it was a timed exclusive. Regardless, those who get the PC or PS3 version will be waiting but who knows how long.

Only for the console versions of the game. All of the DLC was released simultaneously on the PC and 360.

I'm hoping that's still the case.

Also, thanks for the quick rundown of the hardcore mode, Mister_Prophet. That's more or less exactly what I wanted out of that mode.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Only for the console versions of the game. All of the DLC was released simultaneously on the PC and 360.

Also, thanks for the quick rundown of the hardcore mode, Mister_Prophet. That's more or less exactly what I wanted out of that mode.

Yeah you may be right. I never got the DLC till very late in F3's life and plus I have slept since then so I can't be for sure :)

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I really enjoyed Fallout 3.
needless to say I've been looking forward to New Vegas; despite the fact that it's more like one large addon than a sequel.

but at this point I'm probably going to wait until there is more news on the DLC.
I'd rather buy a "Game of the Year" pack all at once.

funkblast

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Aug 4, 2001
California
Visit site
Dr.Fartz is here to bring peace to the waste.

drfartz.jpg

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000

We'll see. This time the game uses Steamworks for.. well.. pretty much everything. I hope they can work out a deal to release them at the same time. Having cloud support means I can finally play this game on two computers and not lose my saved games.

Wulff

Bola Gun fun anyone?
May 25, 2004
Netherlands
Having fun so far, and in spite of rumors of bugginess of the game, I haven't encountered that much, except for trivial stuff.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I haven't run into any bugs other than the classic "crashing when you exit the game" that Gamebryo is known for.

Ran into my first Deathclaw today at Lvl6, Very Hard/Harcore. I got spanked. It was the Quarry, so I figured if I couldn't get past one of them I might as well come back later when I've got better guns. I don't think it's just the Damage Threshold feature either, these guys just seem a lot stronger.

Haven't ran into any bugs yet either.

EDIT: And yay for the cannibal perk! I see they even added a few extensions to it, which makes meh smile.

Last edited:

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
DarkED: If you liked Fallout3, there's a good chance you'll like this.

I'm playing this on 360 myself, and I installed it prior to playing it, and I have as of yet seen not a single bug. Some of the AI behavior is odd (as in, some NPCs in the first town sometimes wandered around seemingly aimlessly, but they were acting just fine, really), but really, it is totally what Fallout3 is. I'm enjoying it.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
DarkED: If you liked Fallout3, there's a good chance you'll like this.

I'm playing this on 360 myself, and I installed it prior to playing it, and I have as of yet seen not a single bug. Some of the AI behavior is odd (as in, some NPCs in the first town sometimes wandered around seemingly aimlessly, but they were acting just fine, really), but really, it is totally what Fallout3 is. I'm enjoying it.

It is much more than what FO3 is, that's why I think it's unfair to call this an add on when the quality of the game is so much ahead of FO3(and yes, I did encounter some bugs but nothing game killing... though I found an inifnite money glitch that you're free to eploit and thus break the games pacing ;) ) .
The only negative thing is that this game is so addicting.

Also I am playing this on 360 and have the game installed.